3x8TB disks (New)

5x4TB disks (Old)

3x3TB disks (Old being replaced)

Flashed as SAS9211-8i

FW version: 15

BIOS Version 7.29.00.00

32GB ECC

Xeon E3-1245 v3 @3.4GHz

I decided to move my storage over from Server 2016 using storage spaces to unRAID. Upgrading my old 3TB disks to 8TB WD80EMAZ (pulled from a cheep USB Mybook) 

For some reason I just couldn't get the 8TB disks to show up in the SAS controller/unRAID/Windows. After reading a bit I followed the sticky for "LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes" and flashed my controller to IT mode and disabled boot support per the guide. 

All of my 4TB disks show up in every slot, none of my 8TB disks show up. I can hot swap disks in windows with the megaraid software and watch the 4TB disks connect and disconnect all day, I only get crickets with the 8TB disk. 

Have I missed something, power save related, new compatibility needed for larger drives?

SmallEdit: connected one directly to SATA for a sanity check, connected. Still can't get it through the SAS controller to hook up to the front bay.

Edited by sean13128
update
11 minutes ago, Squid said:

Try powering it off of a molex cable attached to a molex->sata power.  Reports of that drive doing the same thing if it has the 3.3v present

Connecting it to SATA / Power works fine. I just don't have much in the way of means to connect the other drives up without the SAS backplane.

I see what you are saying tho, in /r/DataHoarder/comments/70hm8h/8tb_easystore_wd_white_label_issuesolution/ 

user lakijfosda seems to have fixed this issue by simply chomping off the 3.3v wire. 

Zack from Zackreed.me seems to have a more practical solution in taping off the 3.3v pins with kapton tape (https://zackreed.me/hgst-7k6000-not-spinning-not-working/

I'll head up to the hardware store and give this solution a try.

Thanks for nudge, seems like a winning solution so far.

• 2 months later...

I had the same thing with a white label 8tb shucked drive.  It was the 3.3v issue on the shucked drive.  Using a 4 pin Molex to sata power adapter solved it.  The drive does not initialize with a normal sata power.  It is the way WD locks the drives for people that shuck them.

5 hours ago, gdeyoung said:

It is the way WD locks the drives for people that shuck them.

WD could do a thousand times better if they really tried to make it hard for users. This is a SATA/SAS compatibility issue and not an intentional "copy protection" method.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Can I just add, something that hasn't been mentioned in this thread which I had to do.

FORMAT THE DRIVE BEFORE YOU SHUCK IT!

I did have to cover up the 3rd pin on the wd white label drive, but then my system wouldn't post with the drive connected until I formatted the drive.

3 minutes ago, DanW said:

Can I just add, something that hasn't been mentioned in this thread which I had to do.

FORMAT THE DRIVE BEFORE YOU SHUCK IT!

I did have to cover up the 3rd pin on the wd white label drive, but then my system wouldn't post with the drive connected until I formatted the drive.

Never got this, just shuck and insert.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2019 at 5:38 PM, Benson said:

Never got this, just shuck and insert.

Two different WD drives (8TB & 10TB), two different systems (ASUS Z8PE-D12X & Poweredge R720), had to format otherwise the systems would hang during POST. The z8pe-d12x would hang while initialising the SAS controller and the Poweredge R720 would hang initialising firmware. Once the drives were formatted, no hangs. Kinda interesting.