Accidentally formated new drive

Can someone help me. I recently had a drive fail and I replaced it with a new one. When I went to add the new drive I clicked the format drive button. Now the array has that drive as empty. I thought it would do a parity rebuild?

Then I noticed my parity drive was disabled? So I rebooted the server and then the parity drive was in unassigned devices. If I try to add the parity drive back now it wants to do a parity sync, which will wipe my existing parity data so I cant do a parity rebuild. My parity disk SMART report is fine btw.

I've looked at the new config option but I'm not 100% sure that is needed?

How do I add my parity drive back and start a parity rebuild so I can get the failed drives data on the new disk??

Edited by iTzturrtlex

Clicking the format button causes an empty file system to be written to the disk, and parity updated to reflect this.   Doing a format is never part of trying to recover a drive and always means create an empty file system on the target drive.  There is no easy way therefore to recover the data.

if the original ‘failed’ disk has not completely failed then you may well be able to recover data from it by using data recovery tools on it outside unRAID.   Alternatively you recover the data from your backups (assuming you have them).

15 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Clicking the format button causes an empty file system to be written to the disk, and parity updated to reflect this.   Doing a format is never part of trying to recover a drive and always means create an empty file system on the target drive.  There is no easy way therefore to recover the data.

if the original ‘failed’ disk has not completely failed then you may well be able to recover data from it by using data recovery tools on it outside unRAID.   Alternatively you recover the data from your backups (assuming you have them).

Thanks for replying I'll try and see if I can get any data off my failed disk