Wd 8tb (easy store shucked) Red drives not recognized

Hey guys, 

I bought a couple Wd easy store external drives and shucked them giving me 2 wd80emaz 8tb drives. From everything I can find, these are rebranded Reds... 

I put them into my UnRaid;

Amd amd 8550 I believe

24gb ram

Asus m5a97 r2 mobo

850 watt psu

Marvel 9215 r11 sata controler card

Asm1062 r2 sata controller card

UnRaid 6.3.5 

I can't get the drives recognized, I have tried the drives on both controllers and direct connected to the mobo sata. I have updated the mobo bios.... 

I  would rather not go buy a new sata card, but if it's needed thats fine.

Anyone have luck with these drives? If so what controller mobo etc

• 2 months later...

I had the same thing with a white label 8tb shucked drive.  It was the 3.3v issue on the shucked drive.  Using a 4 pin Molex to sata power adapter solved it.  The drive does not initialize with a normal sata power.  It is the way WD locks the drives for people that shuck them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/21/2018 at 3:21 AM, gdeyoung said:

It is the way WD locks the drives for people that shuck them.

Nope, nothing to do with that, at all.

The SATA standard has changed, changing the old never-used 3.3v power pin to a RESET pin.  WD are just complying with the new SATA standard.  Expect all drives to follow suit.

13 hours ago, HellDiverUK said:

Nope, nothing to do with that, at all.

The SATA standard has changed, changing the old never-used 3.3v power pin to a RESET pin.  WD are just complying with the new SATA standard.  Expect all drives to follow suit.

Got any proof thats the reason they are doing it, seems way more likely they are just trying to keep people from pulling the drives

• 2 years later...

I was trying to stripe RAID0 with 3 * 10TB WD white label shucked disks and 4 * 8TB WD red label shucked disks. I used Windows 10 stripe function since mother board maker HW RAID only supports 2 HDDs to configure.

1) 2017  WD Red 8TB shucked HDD's require old SATA Connector with P3 3.3 Volts to configure RAID0 Striped by Windows 10 storage management function. If no P3 3.3v is supplied, Windows 10 recognizes RED HDDs but It rejects striping with message "not sufficient space available to configure".  But Once RAID configured with P3, you can operate without P3 thereafter.

2) 2020 new WD white label 8TB/10TB shucked HDD's require to mask P3 ( via Kapton Tape or 4pin molexed SATA Power connectors) to power up and be recognized by Windows 10.  But even after power on, Windows 10 rejects with " not sufficient space available" message to stripe the disks. So Raid function seems to somehow use the P3.

3) Success with 4 Red drives 32TB raid 0; failed with 3 White drives; I even tried with 4port Marvell 88SE9230 raid card and got the same error.

16 hours ago, antiche9 said:

I was trying to stripe RAID0 with 3 * 10TB WD white label shucked disks and 4 * 8TB WD red label shucked disks.

This is an unRAID server OS forum.  It appears you are trying to create a RAID configuration in Windows.  unRAID does not support RAID on array disks (thus, the name, unRAID).

You may get some help if someone happens to have tried the same thing you are trying to do, but, these forums are not for Windows users trying to create RAID configurations.

• 5 weeks later...