VM USB random disconnect (5 Keyboard and Mouse's Same Vendor)

BPinette

I have set up 5 VM's with all the same keyboard and mice from Razer. I attach the keyboard to USB bus and device number which works well. By after some hours of gaming or web browsing, a keyboard device may disconnect and it is super frustrating especially for gaming because you have to restart the VM and manually assign the device number. There is also a chance that multiple keyboards and mouses will disconnect and it is almost impossible to track them down to the correct VM. Is there a better way of doing this?. I don't have any PCI-E slots left for USB passthrough.

tower-diagnostics-20171230-1304.zip

IMG_4001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

might be SOL then.

Another option, is that if you have 1 free pcie, look into a 4port card that can assign each port to a different vm for usb passthrough. But, that can be iffy depending on your hardware to make work right. That would get you 4/5ths of the way. (just read that you don't have any... so maybe back to SOL)

That's a nice setup - is it a home or office environment?  What's the spec of your system?

Have you tried passing through USB controllers to reduce the extent of the problem? 

Also, to stop you at least having to reboot you could use the script below and create an instance for each VM.  Then if you have a disconnect, fire up the version of the script for that VM, unplug the mouse and reconnect, and then kill the script.  I do this with my webcam which I can't passthrough