Guiguinator build log

Hi everyone!,

I'm brand new to unraid and I just build a server out of my old gaming pc.

I make this topic for later reference for myself and to get any advice from anyone willing to share experience!

The main goal for now:

-run plex for 2 client

-safe storage for all my device

-use owncloud

The build

CPU: FX6300 with stock cooler

MOBO: MSI 970a krait edition

RAM: 8gb ddr3 1866MHz hyperX

GPU: cheapest thing I found online (don't remember)

CASE: Rosewill RSV-R4000

DRIVE:

-2x seagate ironwolf 8TB

-1x old WD 3TB red

PSU: 550W EVGA

Other: 2x rosewill 4x hotswap cage

I want to keep it kinda silent because it sit on my desk, It is already pretty good but I might upgrade the fan and the cpu cooler.

So for now and my use I think this is pretty good as I do this mostly cause I find interesting and want to learn some stuff.

I got most of the stuff on sale and already had the main part so It cost me under 200CAD for hardware and I almost steal 2brand new 8TB at 265CAD for BOTH (don't even ask how) :ph34r::D

I buy the unraid ''plus'' key mostly for future proofing. who know? ;)

I think I see somewhere It is better to install plex on SSD any recommendation?

Do you have any advice on how to properly organize my file for the start?

Or any advice at all is welcome!

Have a nice one!

20171231_011644.thumb.jpg.824e6997356eb9abf78d01bf6fe11e51.jpg20171231_011752.thumb.jpg.ae20ae5576e03aaa54825ddec2d94f12.jpg20171231_011805.thumb.jpg.219e6b89abde6ada3f1fa1f11e529040.jpg

I still haven't install the second hot swap cage and connect the rear fan when I take those picture... ::)

Edited by guiguinator
  • 1 month later...

Clean cabling, nice job. I like your front panel cable route the best, not a fan of your sata cables (not my style), but I'm an internet stranger, always a critic/glass half-empty, and it's not my box -- so who cares! Right? ;) 

On 12/30/2017 at 10:41 PM, guiguinator said:

Do you have any advice on how to properly organize my file for the start?

I'm not sure how everyone else does it but I can give my general user share setup, to give you some ideas. Sorry about the late advice - hope it's useful.

/mnt/user/..

../media   (my videos, music, pdfs, basiclly any file data I hardly edit, which I share simply by SMB)

../Games  (my Steam library folder)

../BTsync  (share folder for Bittorrent downloads, and a few personal temp download folders for VMs) 

../ISOs       (ISO files for VMs; folders for device drivers in Windows; install binaries for VMs and other systems)

../vmBackups  (drop folder to keep backup copies of my VM disk files)

Following two are for Handbrake docker -- if I don't have these, the Docker app does really weird things when I try and use other share names. Perhaps you'll want something similar for Plex and transcode directory to cache pool? 

../transcode

../mkout

Single folder I want network access to, but requires password, so I can keep it sand boxed from others.

../Private  

There are more, but those are for specific uses, and some cases not used, so I'm omitting them here.

If you're unsure perhaps write it out on paper, as an outline, just to organize and then setup shares  (( he says almost two months later )). 

On 12/30/2017 at 10:41 PM, guiguinator said:

I think I see somewhere It is better to install plex on SSD any recommendation?

Asking for brand of SSD, or whether we recommend transcoding on an SSD?

For later, answer is yes. If question was for first, I recommend Samsung EVO drives, good performance, and decent price point, usually. 

Good luck, and hope you enjoy your new setup.

Thank guys!

On 1/31/2018 at 7:54 PM, Jcloud said:

Sorry about the late advice - hope it's useful.

All Fine the project have been on ice this month. i'm getting back at it. I will follow your lead!

On 1/31/2018 at 7:54 PM, Jcloud said:

not a fan of your sata cables (not my style)

I kinda agree with you on that one but they come free with the hotswap cage sooo....

As for update:

-I also get an SSD to install plex on it

-got 2 noctua fan for exhaust to replace the shitty one from the case

-might found an hyper 212 CPU cooler for cheap but i'm still not sure if it will fit  :/

Have a nice one!

Edited by guiguinator
4 minutes ago, guiguinator said:

I will follow you your lead!

Nothing scares me more then others thinking I know what I'm doing - especially seeing how I still see myself as newbish in Linux (and the finer bits of unRAID) . ;) Personally I think the share layout is personal preference, versus "a best way." After all user shares makes for all sorts of drive/data organization, but I can understand not falling into the trap of, *8 months down the line* "Well crap my layout sucked, and I'm out of space to move data around."

11 minutes ago, guiguinator said:

-might found an hyper 212 CPU cooler for cheap but i'm still not sure if it will fit  :/

I'd bet you can find the dimensions somewhere online, then just grab a rule and do some, "napkin-math." 

You have a nice one too.

19 minutes ago, Jcloud said:

Nothing scares me more then others thinking I know what I'm doing

xDxD hahahaha don't worry I still have some judgement, but still, If it work for you it's better than trying some weird stuff to start with.

As for the dimension I already do the math but seem like it will fit, but with minimal clearance. I can't be sure until I try, Which I'm willing to try! just need some time as always...

• Like 1

I have this fan on 3 of my machines at home. 

http://www.cryorig.com/h7_us.php

Nearly the same size as the Hyper Cool 212, but a tad smaller and I'm really sold on its performance. At the bottom of their page they have a pdf you can print and fold it up to make sure clearances work on your build. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S7YA5FQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

jRh5Dlol.jpg&key=830ed1dcc8afba30390bf6e

Here is is on my Xeon