Hi there,

sincei bought new Raid Controller 9201 16e.

And i dont really know (theres nothing on it) what cheap PSU i have. I wanna buy this one: 

AeroCool Project7 P7-650W Platinum

Why? Bc in reviews it has a 90+% efficiency even at low load 10-20% (which i have with like 100watt) and its semi passive (wont spin up till, i believe 50% usage)

8x sata

modular

I know its single rail and that this is important, but how do i know if the 54a are on sata power?

Would you take 

AeroCool Project7 P7-650W Platinum (would be more efficient)

or

AeroCool Project7 P7-750W Platinum

- would have more A

Atm i only have under 10 drives, but i want probably to add every year, like its needed.

If i understand correct, my drives use under 1 A while running and when starting not more then 2 A (rounded up), so i guess i could atleast put 20 drives in it?!

Edited by nuhll
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2018 at 2:47 PM, nuhll said:

"cheap". Did u even look at the reviews? Oo

They testet the power output and it was very good. And also the efficient was very good.

How did they test the longevity?

What track record does the manufacturer have with high-temperature, high-power electronics?

Does it give 7 or 10 years warranty?

7 hours ago, nuhll said:

And just btw, this extra warranty is worth nothing in germany.

Please explain.

I have many PSU that has been in use for 5 years or more. Chassi, PSU and monitors are normally usable way longer than the rest of computer hardware.

But track record/longevity is important because if a PSU fails it can kill lots of electronics.

I dont know. I guess we all know manufacturer build breaking points in their products so they die after a certain time... u can also buy a 1000€ psu which kills all your components. You never know.

My expierince with warranty over legal guarantee is that the manufacturer find something i have done "wrong" so they dont need to pay. Or some legal excuse why the warranty cant be provided.

In the reviews i watched/read they testet electric fails and it did good on them. Im happy with it. I can provide more info in 10 years i guess :D

Edited by nuhll
25 minutes ago, nuhll said:

I dont know. I guess we all know manufacturer build breaking points in their products so they die after a certain time... u can also buy a 1000€ psu which kills all your components. You never know.

Some manufacturers might do that. It's seldom the case with computer component manufacturers - it's normally technology advances that makes people buy new computing hardware.

What you are ignoring here is how statistics works. Any PSU can break. But statistics informs us that some PSU have a much higher probability of failing.

With your view, there is no need to use a safety belt when driving, since we do know that some people die even if wearing a safety belt. I prefer to wear the belt, and to also read up on the crash test results and make sure I buy a car from a manufacturer that gets high scores. It doesn't prove anything, but it improves the odds.

29 minutes ago, nuhll said:

My expierince with warranty over legal guarantee is that the manufacturer find something i have done "wrong" so they dont need to pay. Or some legal excuse why the warranty cant be provided.

That has never been my experience - possibly because I select the manufacturers carefully and know how to present my case. It's also important to understand what is part of a warranty - lots of people think they should get long warranty times on parts that are expected to wear out.

I think people are concerned because there doesn't seem to be much track record for the PSU in question.

General wisdom is to buy a high quality PSU from a well known manufacturer, so though this PSU looks great on paper (single rail, good warranty, modular, quiet), due to it being relatively unknown, it feels like a risk that could be easily avoided by purchasing a PSU from a well known, well reviewed manufacturer.

As you say, warranties can be tricky, and even though this PSU does offer a great warranty (7 years), I'd rather buy a PSU that has a track record for not dying and taking a few components with it... This may be a fantastic PSU, but why be a trailblazer? Without an established record, you have no way of knowing how good or bad it is.

Of course, that said, you've already bought it, so let's hope it works out! Who knows, perhaps you'll be one of the first buying a product that turns out to be on the recommended list in five years :).

EDIT: I just found a remarkably good review for this unit. Looks like the internals are all substantially better quality then they have used in the past. Personally, I would still not have bought it until it has been around for enough time to establish itself as a solid PSU, but it's promising that they've used great parts to build it.

Edited by DoeBoye
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If i didnt found any good reviews (and i found some in english and in german) i wouldnbt have bought a (for me unknown) vendor. 

That has never been my experience - possibly because I select the manufacturers carefully and know how to present my case. 

I dont know, some things in US are different than in EU. Like the diesel affaire... us customers get 1000 of dollars and in EU we might get a software update ... xD

13 hours ago, nuhll said:

If i didnt found any good reviews (and i found some in english and in german) i wouldnbt have bought a (for me unknown) vendor. 

I dont know, some things in US are different than in EU. Like the diesel affaire... us customers get 1000 of dollars and in EU we might get a software update ... xD

I live in the EU, with mostly the same laws as you have in Germany.

35 minutes ago, nuhll said:

I have the exp. that the manufacturer doesnt make a difference, you can buy cheap and its shit, or you can buy expensive and its shit - thats my exp.

This world has lots of statistics that shows that different manufacturers, and different product lines, have different fail rates. You can find statistics for lots of different types of products.

How large sample size is your own experience based on?

36 minutes ago, nuhll said:

Its true 10 years ago it did make a great difference, but now? I dont think so.

I'm pretty sure you don't work at a company that designs, develops and/or produces any products and have a market position where the goodwill of the name does matter.

Companies works quite a lot with not just brand name recognition, but also with making sure you recognize the brand in a positive way.

And Internet means the world has become smaller, with much faster information flow. This also means that some companies needs to invent a large number of local-market names just to make sure bad product reviews will not spread internationally.

It is hard for review sites to take 10 seemingly good products and figure out which are very good and which are not so good because all metrics can't be measured and requires long-time-testing. But when history starts to accumulate, hundreds of forums will start to accumulate evidence. That's why it's an advantage to select brands and product lines that have been in business for long enough time that there is a track record to look at. The horse with 25 wins are more likely to win than the horse with 2 wins, even if they initially look as good during warm-up.

Mathematical statistics can't prove the future, but the computed probabilities really do matter. With new contenders with lacking history, computed probabilities will have less confidence. Or in short: you are taking a larger risk.

"This world has lots of statistics that shows that different manufacturers, and different product lines, have different fail rates. You can find statistics for lots of different types of products."

You may want to share this?

"I'm pretty sure you don't work at a company that designs, develops and/or produces any products and have a market position where the goodwill of the name does matter"

LoL very bad example, if they would really care about that, why they include breaking points in their products? Seems like your exp is 10 years+ old... xD even miele and other big  manufacturers.

I sell electronics everyday (but for kitchen), i know some tricks manufacturers do. - even their external sales tell you this.

Edited by nuhll
Just now, nuhll said:

LoL very bad example, if they would really care about that, why they include breaking points in their products? Seems like your exp is 10 years+ old... xD

Stop reading the shadier articles you find in the news press.

An article "companies makes their products fail" sells much better than "companies do not introduce failure points".

Link to references to manufacturer who have made their motherboards, CPU, memory, PSU, HDD, floppy, ... intentionally fail.

Some 10+ years ago there were lots of equipment that failed rather badly because of use of a stolen formula for water-based electrolyte for capacitors. But the manufacturers never intended their electronics to fail - they just didn't know that the factories who produced capacitors based on the stolen formula didn't have the full information available. So it wasn't until enough time had passed that the quality issues became apparent.

Haven't you already noticed the bad press VW had for their diesel engines? Or the bad press Apple had for their adjustments to the firmware to reduce current spikes? That kind of press is what every product manager has to consider. And the majority of companies don't want to take any chances to get caught - especially since it's quite often easy to prove that a company has cheated. Just about any company who sells products will have customers who are every bit as skilled as the company's own engineers. And the engineer who do find a design intended to fail can publish and then switch company and double his/her salary.

15 minutes ago, nuhll said:

Seems like your exp is 10 years+ old... xD

I have worked most of my career for or with branch-leading companies. They do not have any different view on goodwill now than 10 or 20 years ago. So much is revolving around stock prices - and scandals makes investors dislike a company.

1 minute ago, nuhll said:

I dont care, waste your money and get shit on by the big brands.

Time for you to produce statistics showing the products I buy are shit, because right now you seem to have forgotten that when arguing your arguments are expected to be true.

And since my equipment hasn't shown any track record of magically falling to pieces, I'd say my track record indicates that I haven't been buying shit and so haven't wasted my money.

3 minutes ago, nuhll said:

Also, consider, even bad media is better then no media.

Repeat something multiple times and it still doesn't become the truth.

BP lost a huge number of billions of dollars on that event besides the $40 billion in fines and saw a very significant loss in market shares. New money from new deals will not make them recover the previous losses.

1 hour ago, nuhll said:

Where is your statistic that shows brands are better then cheap?

I'm not sure you have read anything of what I have written.

I have never once said that a known name means a product is better than a cheap product.

I have said that brands that have shipped hardware for a longer time allows people to keep track of the performance of their products. And that people can then base their decisions on track records. And that companies with great a great track record in general will continue to release great products. And that the PSU you bought isn't produced by a company that has accumulated any great track record.