(SOLVED) iGPU transcoding: i915 driver present but /dev/dri not available

39 minutes ago, mmz06 said:

Do you have any idea of the timeframe?

No, and neither does anyone else 😀

Limetech does not publish roadmaps or timelines.  Generally the information about a future release is very sparse unless there is a comment from Limetech in response to an issue that indicates problem X will be solved in version X.X or feature X will be added in version X.X.  Like this recent post for example.

Usually, there are a few release candidates before an official release and at that time, we get more information regarding what bug fixes and new features will be in the stable release and can guess that the stable release is coming "soon."

"Soon" is kind of a running joke in these forums since "soon" has meant "a few days" in some cases and "a few months" in others.  We just never really know.

Edited by Hoopster
  • 2 weeks later...

I use ASUS H110M-K motherboard, Celeron G3930 cpu

I have /dev/dri 

I have put the lines in my go file

chose onboard as my primary graphics in my bios

though no igpu option to enable

in emby, already put details in extra parameters

In transcoding, I selected “enable hardware acceleration when available,” though no option to choose quicksync, vaapi, etc

I can’t get transcoding to work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello all!

It's working now with my 9th gen Intel Core i5-9600k, using Unraid 6.8.0rc3 ! 🎉😄

It worked almost out of the box, just after upgrading.

/dev/dri appeared, added to the container --device=/dev/dri/, and enabled hw transcode in Plex GUI.

Just need to check the performance, now, but it looks promising...

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/19/2018 at 6:53 PM, jonathanm said:

Since that motherboard has an on board graphics chip, it may not have the ability to use or expose the CPU graphics. @Hoopster, is your sig current? If so, does your backup rig expose /dev/dri?

I might possibly be in a similar situation.  My MOBO is an ASUS P11C-I with an i3-8100 and the newest BIOS.  I don't see anywhere in the BIOS settings where I can enable iGPU, and there is mention in the manual about using a jumper to enable/disable the onboard VGA controller (ASUS manual pg 2-23).  Is my only option at this point to get a NVIDIA GPU to support HW transcoding?  Thanks for any support that you can provide.

12 minutes ago, 3560freak said:

I might possibly be in a similar situation.  My MOBO is an ASUS P11C-I with an i3-8100 and the newest BIOS.  I don't see anywhere in the BIOS settings where I can enable iGPU, and there is mention in the manual about using a jumper to enable/disable the onboard VGA controller (ASUS manual pg 2-23).  Is my only option at this point to get a NVIDIA GPU to support HW transcoding?  Thanks for any support that you can provide.

My backup server has IPMI and thus "Onboard" as the primary graphics adapter refers to the AST 2300 BMC graphics.  However, the BIOS also has an option to "Enable Intel Graphics" so I am able to use both.  The /dev/dri folder is created and used for HW transcoding and, even though I run the backup server headless and control it via IPMI, I have attached a monitor to it and get graphics output from the Onboard AST 2300.

I don't use this server (it's a backup server) on a daily basis for Plex, but, I have tested it with Plex hardware transcoding enabled and it works should I need to use it.

I know some Supermicro boards with IPMI also allow the use of the iGPU.  Sometimes the BIOS options to make this work are not obvious and it takes some experimentation or contacting the vendor.

21 hours ago, Hoopster said:

My backup server has IPMI and thus "Onboard" as the primary graphics adapter refers to the AST 2300 BMC graphics.  However, the BIOS also has an option to "Enable Intel Graphics" so I am able to use both.  The /dev/dri folder is created and used for HW transcoding and, even though I run the backup server headless and control it via IPMI, I have attached a monitor to it and get graphics output from the Onboard AST 2300.

I don't use this server (it's a backup server) on a daily basis for Plex, but, I have tested it with Plex hardware transcoding enabled and it works should I need to use it.

I know some Supermicro boards with IPMI also allow the use of the iGPU.  Sometimes the BIOS options to make this work are not obvious and it takes some experimentation or contacting the vendor.

I appreciate the tip.  I'll contact ASUS to see if there are any workarounds.

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, cferrey said:

Would anyone know how this could be enabled on an Atomic Pi (Intel Atom x5-Z8350 CPU)?  The /dev/dri directory is not present there, though from searching online it does seem that this CPU supports QuickSync.  Thanks for any guidance!

I doubt you are running Unraid on Atomic Pi. Did you just find this thread on google? Or are you actually using Unraid, the purpose of our forum?

8 minutes ago, trurl said:

I doubt you are running Unraid on Atomic Pi. Did you just find this thread on google? Or are you actually using Unraid, the purpose of our forum?

Yes -- I am running unRAID on an Atomic Pi.  I realize it's a strange hardware choice; I'm using it as a small remote backup server.

Edit: These test results confirm that the Atomic Pi can do ~4 simultaneous hardware-accelerated 1080p H.264 transcodes in Ubuntu, so in theory this should be possible in unRAID.

Edited by cferrey
  • 1 month later...

Thanks @gabestover your post cleared it up for me. I'm running unRaid 6.8.2 so I didn't apply any changes to syslinux.cfg

I used CA Config Editor app to edit my /boot/config/go file, and added those two lines below #!/bin/bash as shown.

My Plex docker has an added Config Type: Device, Name: /dev/dri, Value: /dev/dri. The container started right away after reboot, sweet.

* For anyone reading interested to transcode in Plex with hardware accelection straight to ram: Enable "Use hardware acceleration when available" in Plex settings > Transcoder. I also set the "Transcoder temporary directory" to /transcode. In the Plex docker config the Container Path: /transcode is set to Host Path: /tmp

On 12/10/2018 at 5:54 PM, randomninjaatk said:

@gabestover

Your "Go" file should look like this (the one below is mine): 

#!/bin/bash
#Setup drivers for hardware transcoding in Plex
modprobe i915
chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

And your plex docker config should have this added under advance settings "Extra Parameters":

--device /dev/dri:/dev/dri

For reference, here is my system details:

sys-info.PNG.986b59d3e2f571b8c19edbd8928bba8e.PNG

Hope that helps some!

EDIT: Also, since Unraid 6.5+, you do not need to modify the boot file "/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg" that is mentioned above. This was only applicable in the older versions of Unraid that was using an older kernel that did not support  Coffeelake iGPU natively....

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2020 at 6:43 AM, CarloGaudreault said:

Thanks @gabestover your post cleared it up for me. I'm running unRaid 6.8.2 so I didn't apply any changes to syslinux.cfg

I used CA Config Editor app to edit my /boot/config/go file, and added those two lines below #!/bin/bash as shown.

My Plex docker has an added Config Type: Device, Name: /dev/dri, Value: /dev/dri. The container started right away after reboot, sweet.

* For anyone reading interested to transcode in Plex with hardware accelection straight to ram: Enable "Use hardware acceleration when available" in Plex settings > Transcoder. I also set the "Transcoder temporary directory" to /transcode. In the Plex docker config the Container Path: /transcode is set to Host Path: /tmp

Hello,

does this work with 9th Gen Intel CPUs?

4 hours ago, snolly said:

does this work with 9th Gen Intel CPUs?

The Linux 4.19.98 kernel in unRAID 6.8.2 does appear to support the 9th generation iGPUs. 

I just upgraded to a Xeon E-2288G which has the 9th generation UHD P630 integrated graphics.  Hardware transcoding in Plex and Handbrake is working for me with the iGPU.

On 3/6/2020 at 5:27 PM, Hoopster said:

The Linux 4.19.98 kernel in unRAID 6.8.2 does appear to support the 9th generation iGPUs. 

I just upgraded to a Xeon E-2288G which has the 9th generation UHD P630 integrated graphics.  Hardware transcoding in Plex and Handbrake is working for me with the iGPU.

I bought myself a Pentium G5400 for 70 euros and it can HW transcode 4K HEVC without breaking a sweat. Awesomeness. Now if only plex would fix the washed out colors on HDR->SDR transcodes :(

• 7 months later...

Hello,

I'll also need some help.

I use a i5-10400 on a ASROck H470 Phantom Gaming 4.

I would like to use transcoding for plex.

I enables iGPU in bios

I added this in the /boot/config/go file:

modprobe i915

chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

and whatever I try....

cd: /dev/dri: No such file or directory

any ideas?

Hello,
I'll also need some help.
I use a i5-10400 on a ASROck H470 Phantom Gaming 4.
I would like to use transcoding for plex.
I enables iGPU in bios
I added this in the /boot/config/go file:

modprobe i915chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

and whatever I try....
cd: /dev/dri: No such file or directory

any ideas?

You will need to use the UnRAID 6.9.0 beta release for support of 10th generation iGPU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 1 year later...