unRAID OS version 6.4.0-rc19b available

47 posts in this topic Last Reply

15 minutes ago, ren88 said:

do i need to enable ip address version 6 in my router before putting it in the unraid os server 

If you want automatic IPv6 address assignment and the possibility to access IPv6 addresses outside your LAN, it requires to properly configure your router.

i created one on my router, but i tried to enter this in the network settings= ip address version 6 [2601:86:1:cfe5:a204:60ff:feea:2930], but i don't know the gateway = 

Enter route + gateway + metric:

It seems that bond/network has changed in the latest release of Linux.  I have been getting this error on the latest rc releases:

Dec 28 16:57:24 MediaServer kernel: e1000e 0000:00:19.0 eth1: Detected Hardware Unit Hang:

I originally had my NICs set as transmit load balance and changed to active load balance.  This reduced the errors, but I still got errors when copying large files.  The final solution was to use the Tips and Tweaks plugin and set the "Disable NIC Offload?" to yes.  It seems that the NIC offload feature on some NICs (Intel?) can cause these NIC hangs.

EDIT: @RobJ This probably needs to be added to the Tips and Tweaks wiki.

Edited by dlandon

Linux kernel 4.14.11

Does this Kernel include the fix for the Intel Meltdown vulnerability?

It was reported that the fix developed for Linux kernel 4.15, and have been released as a backport in kernel 4.14.11.

If it's included, does anyone happen to have a performance comparison between rc19 vs rc18 (or can run some quick benchmarks)?

The 30% slowdown has been thrown around much in the media but nobody seems to have any concrete evidence of actual impact. Considering unRAID has VM + NAS + docker, I assume it may be on the higher end of being affected by the fix.

1 hour ago, testdasi said:

It was reported that the fix developed for Linux kernel 4.15, and have been released as a backport in kernel 4.14.11.

If it's included, does anyone happen to have a performance comparison between rc19 vs rc18 (or can run some quick benchmarks)?

The 30% slowdown has been thrown around much in the media but nobody seems to have any concrete evidence of actual impact. Considering unRAID has VM + NAS + docker, I assume it may be on the higher end of being affected by the fix.

I don't think the workload that is the most exploitable maybe is the one most effected by the workload slowdown.

has something changed in the way R19 handles file transfers? 

I used to suffer from awful, slow transfer speeds if I transferred more than a few GBs at a time between drives (Eric did a brilliant job of helping me try to address), which was excaberated if I did more than one transfer.   The main culprit seemed to be my seagate archive drive, which didn't like my system but was fine in almost all other systems .  When I say bad, I mean like KB/s 

Since I moved to R19, I'm trundling along perfectly and even more than one transfer at a time isn't causing problems

2 hours ago, testdasi said:

Some patches were included in 4.14.11 but there are more coming.  To give you an idea of how much work has been involved here's what the set of "preparatory" patches looked like:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=64a48099b3b31568ac45716b7fafcb74a0c2fcfe

Kernel 4.14.12 was released today with another set of patches, including the one that exonerates AMD from one of the vulnerabilities.  We will be releasing this kernel soon.

On 1/4/2018 at 7:00 AM, starbix said:

The web terminal works for me in safari. Are there specific features that don't work, or is there something special about my Safari installation?

If you enable password authentication (by setting a password for the root user) then Safari will have issues with the web terminal and the CPU meters on the dashboard.

• limetech locked and unpinned this topic