Docker or Plugin Request - WeeWX

Ken R.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

@Zilched I think it should be possible to run weewx under unraid by allowing "additional search results from Docker hub". Go to Apps, Settings (left) and set "

Enable additional search results from dockerHub:" to yes. When you search then for "weewx" in the apps tab, it shows "No matching applications found", but above that, you have the option "Click Here To Get More Results From DockerHub". If you click on that, you should see a lot of different weewx images.

Unfortunately, the guy, who made the most popular weewx docker container, jgoerzen, wrote in his documentation, that his docker container allows only rsync and ssh for the upload. Since I'm restricted to FTP(S) upload from my hosting provider, I can not use rsync unfortunately. So I have to look for other containers, but maybe this helps you. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
17 hours ago, Curtis777 said:

anybody got it running ?
can somebody tell me the config which is needed for weewx ?

@Curtis777 I personally like the solution with the dedicated dietpi vm. It's actually very lightweight and you're more flexible for example in terms of extensions. So to be honest, I'm quite happy with it and I won't switch to the docker container.

• 5 months later...

A weewx container showed up in the CA store today. I went to install it and got an error… I’m guessing for USB pass through? I haven’t used any containers that needed usb access so it sure how that works on unraid. My error:

Error response from daemon: error gathering device information while adding custom device "/dev/ttyUSB0": no such file or directory.

2 hours ago, BirdHeezy said:

A weewx container showed up in the CA store today. I went to install it and got an error… I’m guessing for USB pass through? I haven’t used any containers that needed usb access so it sure how that works on unraid. My error:

Error response from daemon: error gathering device information while adding custom device "/dev/ttyUSB0": no such file or directory.

Seems like a error from the missing USB device indeed.

Try to edit your docker, go down the page to "Add another Path, Port, Variable, Label or Device" and select "Config Type: device".
For "Name" you can write "weather station" and for "Value" you can use "/dev/ttyUSB0".

I hope with this you get rid of the error.

21 hours ago, Maginos said:

Seems like a error from the missing USB device indeed.

Try to edit your docker, go down the page to "Add another Path, Port, Variable, Label or Device" and select "Config Type: device".
For "Name" you can write "weather station" and for "Value" you can use "/dev/ttyUSB0".

I hope with this you get rid of the error.

Thanks for the reply!

that variable has already been setup. This may be a silly question, but do I have to have my usb device plugged in? I don’t know how to define/point the container to a specific USB port… or if that’s something I even need to do. Guess it’s time I did some googling on usb devices and unraid containers!

3 hours ago, BirdHeezy said:

Thanks for the reply!

that variable has already been setup. This may be a silly question, but do I have to have my usb device plugged in? I don’t know how to define/point the container to a specific USB port… or if that’s something I even need to do. Guess it’s time I did some googling on usb devices and unraid containers!

So I played around with my USB weather station a bit and unfortunately I was not able to get the weewx container running. 

Under "Tools", "System Devices", "USB Devices", I identified my weather station to be located at Bus 001 Device 006, so the corresponding device path should be /dev/bus/usb/001/006.

I tried different paths for the MQTT device, but nothing worked. I also tried to passthrough the USB device via the extra parameter setting, but without luck. 

Maybe the problem is within the correct device path...

I also tried to bypass the need for an USB device by changing the /mnt/user/appdata/weewx/weewx.conf in the following way:
I set "station_type = simulator", but without luck.

As mentioned above, I like the dietpi vm better for weewx, as it is comparably lightweight to a docker container but with the options for extensions for example.