Server Upgrade. Might be time - Looking for Ideas

Hey Folks,

I think it’s time to upgrade my UnRaid server. I am playing a bit more with VM’s and I am hitting some walls while trying to leave enough horse power for the Dockers I am running, mainly Plex. I have isolated plex to non VM cores which has helped but this only leaves me enough cores to run a couple VM’s….

Current hardware is all home built. A monster tower case with 9 drives. Mostly connected via a Dell H310 flashed for JBOD. I have an Asus X79-Deluxe with 32GB ram and an i7-4960x 6 core CPU….

Goals are more cores, maybe more ram.. In the ideal world I would free up this Motherboard and CPU that I can turn into my gaming machine. Trying to keep price down… No budget set right now trying to determine if it’s something I can justify.

The motherboard supports some Xeon processors so this would be a quick easy route. In Canada I am seeing E5-2697 V2 on ebay for around $700 to my door.  I could then scope out a used Motherboard and ram for the i7 that’s free’d up.

Other suggestions? Is there some Ebay Servers or Motherboard/CPU combo’s that are go to for people here? Sound and heat are not major concerns as the box is stored in a utility room in the basement.  Or do I look at adding a new server. One for Dockers and Plex, and another just for VMs…

Just looking for idea’s to guide my research a little bit. I have poked at this a few times and usually get lost in some rabbit hole never making a decision

Thanks in advance!

Just out of curiosity, what are you doing with your VM's? A hex core CPU leaves you with 6 physical cores and with hyper-threading another 6 virtual, so 12 cores altogether. Most VM' can get by with a single core unless your doing something mildly CPU intensive. I would think you'd have enough cores to go around unless I'm missing something.

I run a Blue Iris Server in Windows 10. Its recording 5 HD cameras and eats cores. Right now I have 4 cores assigned to it and it scrapes by. It could use more. 

Plex I am playing with 4k content recently and find it is buffering a lot so I have to add cores to it. A couple other VM's with 1 or 2 cores. I only run the Blue Iris VM full time, the others are on demand as needed. 

I am living within the confines of what I have now. Just looking to take the next step to have some room to expand and play a little.