Proper Cache Configuration

I am 100% sure that this question has already been asked and answered, but with so many threads, finding it has proven difficult...

Anyways, here goes...

I am running 3.6.4 due to issues with 3.6.5 and the power down/reboot function looping. That being said, my system consists of 3 (4tb storage) drives, 1 (4tb) parity and 1 (256gb ssd) cache drive. the current settings for my shares have system, appdata and domains in the "prefere" position for the cache drive. all other drives are listed in the "no" position. When I send files to the server wirelessly from another computer they are written directly to the storage discs instead of the cache and moved later by the mover. I am unsure what setting I have incorrectly set that is not allowing added files to be sent to the cache drive and moved later?

Lastly, the server is primarily used for my Plex data library. I am afraid to list the plex share in any other configuration for fear of messing something up on the server. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated and thank you for all that you do for the community!

arraydevices.pngArray Devices
Device Identification Temp. Reads Writes Errors FS Size Used Free View
green-on.pngParity WDC_WD40EFRX-68N32N0_WD-WCC7K0XNARD3 - 4 TB (sdd) 72 F 265,161 265,384 0  
green-on.pngDisk 1 WDC_WD40EFRX-68N32N0_WD-WCC7K3KS33U9 - 4 TB (sdc) 88 F 1,149,841 277,801 0 xfs 4 TB
2.98 TB
1.02 TB explore.png
green-on.pngDisk 2 WDC_WD40EFRX-68N32N0_WD-WCC7K2EFJ56K - 4 TB (sdb) 90 F 944,833 73,378 0 xfs 4 TB
2.43 TB
1.57 TB explore.png
green-on.pngDisk 3 WDC_WD40EFRX-68N32N0_WD-WCC7K6XATD2R - 4 TB (sde) 84 F 85,488 55 0 xfs 4 TB
2 TB
2 TB explore.png
sum.pngTotal Array of four devices 83 F 2,445,323 616,618 0   12.0 TB
7.41 TB
4.59 TB  

cachedevices.pngCache Devices
green-on.pngCache SAMSUNG_470_Series_SSD_S0MTNEAB502605 - 256 GB (sdf) 84 F 499,421 2,658,477 0 btrfs 256 GB
16.4 GB
240 GB explore.png

bootdevice.pngBoot Device
green-on.pngFlash v125w - 4.01 GB (sda) * 342 84 0 vfat 4 GB
176 MB
3.83 GB explore.png

tower-diagnostics-20180105-2328.zip

• 3 years later...

Specify whether new files and directories written on the share can be written onto the Cache disk/pool if present. This setting also affects mover behavior.

No prohibits new files and subdirectories from being written onto the Cache disk/pool. Mover will take no action so any existing files for this share that are on the cache are left there.

Yes indicates that all new files and subdirectories should be written to the Cache disk/pool, provided enough free space exists on the Cache disk/pool. If there is insufficient space on the Cache disk/pool, then new files and directories are created on the array. When the mover is invoked, files and subdirectories are transferred off the Cache disk/pool and onto the array.

Only indicates that all new files and subdirectories must be writen to the Cache disk/pool. If there is insufficient free space on the Cache disk/pool, create operations will fail with out of space status. Mover will take no action so any existing files for this share that are on the array are left there.

Prefer indicates that all new files and subdirectories should be written to the Cache disk/pool, provided enough free space exists on the Cache disk/pool. If there is insufficient space on the Cache disk/pool, then new files and directories are created on the array. When the mover is invoked, files and subdirectories are transferred off the array and onto the Cache disk/pool.

NOTE: Mover will never move any files that are currently in use. This means if you want to move files associated with system services such as Docker or VMs then you need to disable these services while mover is running.

So those are the definitions.  I have a question on how this should behave, because the definitions and the behavior don't align.  I am running 6.9.0-rc2, and I have a share with the Use Cache Pool setting set to Yes.  I have it setup as a SMB share, and have been attempting to copy over an archive into my array (array is 14TB - data copying is 5TB, cache disk is 1TB), but Windows keeps failing the copy process after it fills up the cache drive stating There is not enough space on [share name].  According to the definition, if the cache drive were to run out of space, then why does it not start writing over to the array?  The ONLY thing I can think of is that the write starts, and when the cache runs out of space, the file it's attempting to write to fails, and then Windows just stops writing any further with the error message.  Even when I attempted to Try Again, it failed again.  Am I missing something, or should Unraid just handle this?