Servers Racks : inexpensive places to buy ?

Hello,

I've been running multiple computers for years and I'm wanting to consolidate space between my main system, unRaid and my SageTV HTPC.

As I buy new systems I'm thinking of putting them into server rack cases (2 x Norco RPC-470 and RPC-4220) along with the Cable STB's, router, SageTV Extender, HDMI 2 x 4 matrix switch ...

I'm guessing 24 U x 26" depth would give me a little more space than needed.

The thing that has been making me procrastinate is the prices ... Where do I find decent quality Server Racks at decent prices?

I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada ... so driving to the Rack Depot in ... might be a little too far ...

I want to start with four rails is my guess and then eventually "enclose" the rack for better airflow.  (suck air from the top at the back ... hopefully with most of the air flowing from the front of the rack)

My understanding is that the replaceable nuts are better than tapped directly ...

Thanks for your time,

any advice is appreciated ...

Bobby

currently I have 2x Antec 900 cases and a Cooler Master Stacker 810 case with 3 4-in 3 cages ... which take up a lot of floor space ;-)

If you are somewhat handy, you could build your own rack.  Parts Express sells rack rails in various lengths (go to their website and do a search for "rack rails").  I know Parts Express ships to Canada, but I do not know how much that would cost.  Price without shipping on a 21U pair of rails is $28, so to get a 4-rail setup it would be $56 + shipping.  If you DIY, you can make it whatever size fits your needs as well.

An option to think about, as a rack technically is nothing more than a box with these rails on it - so construction would be relatively simple.

If you want pre-made racks, I do not know of any places in Canada, and shipping from the US on a whole rack might cost a fortune. ;)

I picked up a 21u rack from ebay that someone was no longer using for £1, that and a studio rack for my AV and network switches for £12. Works really nicely.

Just remember with rack mounted equipment heat management can become an issue. Unraid boxes arent generally an issue as the disks are often spun down. 

I agree with NAS.

I got 2x 7-foot racks from a buddy that was moving a data center. They were no longer needed and they were fully depreciated so the company just wanted to throw them out. I helped him throw them out in the back of my pickup! They came with 4 UPS's a KVM and a slide-out keyboard/mouse.

They were too tall to fit into my server "closet" which is under the stairs and the door's too low. I ended cutting off the top, cutting the 4 posts and welding the top back on. I cut the sides down to match. The only hard part was cutting the doors down - had to take the frames apart and cut both ends off because the locking mechanism was in the middle. I cut the bars that lock top & bottom, ground new gears into the bars so they go up/down when you turned the handle, cut the mesh insert off, put it all back together and I had a nice short rack that holds my 3 servers, 2 UPS's, slide-out keyboard & KVM switch. A little spray paint where I welded it up and it looks like it came that way (picture attached).

The other rack is in the garage still waiting for my next project.

Ask around, talk to people who work in a data center. One will pop up. The 2 I got were my 3rd chance so I thought I'd better just go ahead and get them. Don't pay for one.

DSC03900-5.jpg.bb2ad337dc7bd61c3258fc98818e5b65.jpg

I looked at starcase and a few others before asking here ... the first time I checked on ebay there was an enclosed cabinet that was just about the right size 10 km's away and it finally sold for around $300 ... the prices on craiglist are just nuts around here too.

There was a Surplus site that had one at the right price ... about 1000 miles away ... Shipping was insane ...

and then I live in a fourth floor walkup ... so a 200lb rack ... I am not looking forward to ....

I'll keep my eye out for people getting rid of them ... or I might check out an auction or two ... people don't realize what they cost ...

If I had built one or two before I would look into building one from scratch (if I knew how they worked in more detail) ... maybe get a set of rails with my next case and try to visualize it better ;-)

I'd cheat and get a 4 U shaped channels for the vertical and then tap just the needed holes ... braces across the top and bottom ... or something like that ;-)

Thanks for the help,

I'll keep checking around ...

Bobby

channels for the vertical and then tap just the needed holes

That's how HP/Compaq builds them. "C" channel makes the 4 posts. Then the little angle with the properly-space holes is screwed to the channel. The critical part is that they're properly spaced, (near) perfectly parallel and making sure there's no wobble after it's put together (solid top & bottom frames welded to the 4 upright channels).

I do amateur cabinet making so I just bought some ply wood and built my own rack.  Two sides, top and bottom. One 4x8 sheet of plywood will do for a cabinet with an internal height of 48" and 30" depth. Added some brace work (4x4 right triangles made of plywood) to keep it all square I then bought some standard rack angle irons with the proper spacing and pre tapped holes for the front.  I did not bother with sliders but instead picked up some pre slotted and drilled angle irons at home depot and screwed them inside the case where I needed them for supporting the components, in effect made open shelves.  I screwed them to the inside of the case using 5/8" wood screws.  My Pholosophy is if I am going to pull out a case it is going to the bench. I made some spacing Jigs to properly set up the inside supports.  I have jigs for 1U, 2U, 3U, 4U spacing. There are some shots of the rack in pimp my rig. I put 4 Heavy Duty casters on the bottom.  

I mounted a Front Power distribution panel (A switch on front, an outlet on front and 8 outlets on the rear.) just below the rack mounted UPS.   One of these days I may add a rear door of Plexiglass properly drilled or slotted for ventilation, but right now the entire back is open.  I doubt of the whole thing cost me $200 for the wood, casters, glue, screws, angle iron shelves (could have used 1x3 lumber). Some things I mounted are so light and shallow they did not need the "Shelf" support

The only thing I would change If I was doing it again would be to make it 30" deep (standard comm rack size) and used double faced MDO instead of Plywood.  MDO Takes paint (or fancy veneer's) much better.  It is roughly 48" high and the monitor, keyboard/glide pad and KVM sit on the top.  There are three active systems in the rack, and the KVM is 4 ports.  For a high WAF you can add some furniture grade embelishments so it looks good enough to free stand somewhere. Mine is in a closet, so It is painted black and fan noise is not an issue.