Organising family photos

NAS

I am probably like everyone else. I have a family that takes photos like there is no tomorrow. Bloody thousands of the things. Right now we just put them in folder as you would expect but I was pondering if there were any better solutions.

In a perfect world a www portal on unRAID where you could upload batches of the photos and add comments that would make it into the metadata. Even geo location tagging would be nice. Other maintenance taks like lossless rotation etc would save alot of work

this is a flight of fancy but does anyone do anything close to this?

Not with UnRaid directly, but Google's Picasa (free app) allows you to do much of what you requested (write to metadata, geotagging, lossless rotation, organize).  It also has facial recognition which works quite well although that data appears to be written to the local database rather than to the images.

So you could upload the images to your unraid server, then use Picasa to modify as desired.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if you just want software that'll help you organize the pics, that's easy but if you somehow want to do it either through the net (do they have to access it over the web from OUTSIDE your house/location?) it's a different story. I would go to the DPReview.com site and ask this on maybe the Storage forum or the PC talk forum. Millions of people over there that just deal with photos.

IF you do, just say server and not necessarily unraid as they may not know what it is.

Let me know if you have questions about DPReview. The other stuff I can't help you with  :)

George

I personally use this app. It basically scans your EXIF data and creates the following.

http://download.cnet.com/Digital-Camera-Copy/3000-12511_4-10624087.html

/year/month/day

In English it will create a year folder with a month folder with a day folder.

So when your on Vacation or say Christmas you can go straight to the day in question. I then often use Picassa or something of the sort to flip through them all.