Moving to a new house, need new case reccomendations.

Tybio

Right now I'm using one of the beastly 24 hot-swap rack mount cases and have been for 4-5 years.  It sits in a little rolling rack in the basement storage area and does just fine.  

However in the new house I'm going to have a large office, and I'd prefer to keep the server in a less dusty environment than the unfinished storage/mechanical area.  With that in mind I'm trying to find a nice looking case to migrate into.  It will sit on a table, and I'd like it to be a bit of a looker without being over the top.  

Current needs are ~15 drives (Only using 10 today + SSD Cache).  I'll be swapping in the current hardware as it's all still very good, so really just looking to hear what others have come up with recently.  Cost isn't a huge concern, but I'd rather not spend more than a car on it ;).

I've looked at the Lian Li D600 and really like the look of it, are there other options at about the same level that you've run across?  Perhaps something that already has hot swaps to avoid the 5-in-3 bays?

On 1/8/2018 at 3:09 PM, Tybio said:

Perhaps something that already has hot swaps to avoid the 5-in-3 bays?

I've seen tower style cases with up to 8 hot swap bays build in - but I haven't seen more than that.  Also, they tend to have cooling concerns and are more suited to a basic NAS than application server.  I think you're looking at 5-in-3's for 15 drives.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2018 at 1:19 PM, tdallen said:

I've seen tower style cases with up to 8 hot swap bays build in - but I haven't seen more than that.  Also, they tend to have cooling concerns and are more suited to a basic NAS than application server.  I think you're looking at 5-in-3's for 15 drives.

Interesting you should mention cooling..  I'm in the market for a similar case as the OP and from all the searching I'm doing, I keep coming back to rack servers having better cooling..   Specifically, I keep going back to the Rosewill RSV-L4412.  Definitely will be watching this thread for recommendations for some tower style cases.

51 minutes ago, 172pilot said:

Interesting you should mention cooling..  I'm in the market for a similar case as the OP and from all the searching I'm doing, I keep coming back to rack servers having better cooling..   Specifically, I keep going back to the Rosewill RSV-L4412.  Definitely will be watching this thread for recommendations for some tower style cases.

After looking at dozens of 4U case and I always like this one too. Sucks my rack is 24" deep and the case is 25". I ended up mounting my Silverstone CS380 on rails in the bottom of the rack. I swapped the left and right panels and reversed the hard drive cage fans to pull air up from the bottom. It takes up 5U though and only has 8 hotswap + two 5.25.

1 hour ago, dmacias said:

I ended up mounting my Silverstone CS380 on rails in the bottom of the rack. I swapped the left and right panels and reversed the hard drive cage fans to pull air up from the bottom. It takes up 5U though and only has 8 hotswap + two 5.25.

Ever since posting my original response, I've been sitting here searching, and ironically the CS380 is the one I had settled on as my best option for non-rack..  You liking that case?  Given that I'll probably leave it upright, how's the stock cooling?  I had planned to use 5-in-3 or similar, but with the CS380 it seems I'll get better cooling just using what they give you, since it'll leave more space around the drives, and there's already a fan on the side of the drive cage..

Thanks for the info.. Sounds like I'm following your lead..  Good to have some validation on what I'm seeing out there..

3 minutes ago, 172pilot said:

Ever since posting my original response, I've been sitting here searching, and ironically the CS380 is the one I had settled on as my best option for non-rack..  You liking that case?  Given that I'll probably leave it upright, how's the stock cooling?  I had planned to use 5-in-3 or similar, but with the CS380 it seems I'll get better cooling just using what they give you, since it'll leave more space around the drives, and there's already a fan on the side of the drive cage..

Thanks for the info.. Sounds like I'm following your lead..  Good to have some validation on what I'm seeing out there..

Stock cooling is not great for the drives but with a few modifications it is excellent. Basically I sealed off the drive cage and modified the cage to add another 120mm fan between the power supply and cage as a bottom intake.  See here.

Silverstone CS380 Compact Mid-Tower 8x4TB Hot Swap