After Drives have been setup switching Machines

I'm so close to taking a few real drives and prepping them for an array.

My question is I'm sure silly sounding, but I'm going to ask anyways.

Since this all boots from a USB.

Can you prep and zero out 3 drives and build your array and then take the 3 drives out and drop them into a new machine without any issues? I'm not planning on using any GigaByte hardware. I'm planning on going from an Intel mother board to the Recommended BioStar board in the wiki.

I have the drives here and I'm planning on picking up the new motherboard, RAM, CUP ,PSU soon, but I was trying to see if I make a short cut or two.

Or would you recommed I wait so there is less of a chance of messing thing up.

I'm so close to taking a few real drives and prepping them for an array.

My question is I'm sure silly sounding, but I'm going to ask anyways.

Since this all boots from a USB.

Can you prep and zero out 3 drives and build your array and then take the 3 drives out and drop them into a new machine without any issues?

Easily. Just make a screen shot of the devices page, or write down which drive is assigned to which logical slot in the array on the old MB before switching to the new.  The mew motherboard might scan the drives in a different order and you'll need to use the "Devices" page to assign them back to their original slots in the array.

I'm not planning on using any GigaByte hardware. I'm planning on going from an Intel mother board to the Recommended BioStar board in the wiki.
It is one of the really nice things about unRAID it really id easy to swap out the hardware.

I have the drives here and I'm planning on picking up the new motherboard, RAM, CUP ,PSU soon, but I was trying to see if I make a short cut or two.

Or would you recommed I wait so there is less of a chance of messing thing up.

It is your choice.  If you wish to play you can try using the VirtualBox VM image and boot up a virtual unRAID array with virtual disks.  You'll get a good feel for how it all works without involving any hardware at all. 

Check it out here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=6260.0

Joe L.

Thanks Joe,

Yeah I've been in the control panel several times with a few old drives and it even appears one is trying to fail, which is kinda cool seeing the errors. ;)

I just have a box here and its not my dream setup so I wanted to get a jump start on getting things ready until I'm ready.