Tower similar to Storinator

ZataH

Since it is not possible to buy the Storinator tower by it self. Can anyone recommend something similar?

Right now I have a FD Define R5, and I will soon run out of space. 

Requirements: 10+ 3,5" - Space for ATX motherboard

Would be lovely with drives in the front, but not a requirement at all

11 minutes ago, HellDiverUK said:

I think the general way of doing lots of drive bays is get one of the big Coolermaster cases that has 5.25" bays all down the front, and fill it with 5-in-3 bays.

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/full-tower/trooper/

That would get 15 bays, plus any 2.5" bays the case has.

Yeah I was thinking about that. They are just not any pretty cases (That I have found). Except for the Nexus Prominent 9, but that doesnt seem to be available anymore 

On 1/10/2018 at 8:32 AM, ZataH said:

Yeah I was thinking about that. They are just not any pretty cases (That I have found). Except for the Nexus Prominent 9, but that doesnt seem to be available anymore 

I just saw a note somewhere that they announced a refresh to the big cases at CES.  I haven't seen what the updates are, but perhaps they made them a bit less obnoxiously styled.

4 minutes ago, Tybio said:

I just saw a note somewhere that they announced a refresh to the big cases at CES.  I haven't seen what the updates are, but perhaps they made them a bit less obnoxiously styled.

45drives/Storinator or Nexus? Could you find a link for that? I was not able to find anything

• 1 year later...

I recently bought a supermicro cs-846 case. 24 drive bays.  i also bought 6 orico 2.5 to 3.5 adapters to mount to the 3.5 inch bays.

the case with a x9dri-ln4+ motherboard was 900.00 including shipping.

The cpu upgrade for a matched set of E5-2695 v2  for 300.00

The memory upgrade to 128GB ecc ddr3 ram was  190.00

the seperate CPU coolers 2 x cooler master hyper212 was 70.00.

total cost 1460.00 well worth it.

2018-12-22 17.52.20.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2019 at 8:18 PM, Frank Ruhl said:

I recently bought a supermicro cs-846 case. 24 drive bays.  i also bought 6 orico 2.5 to 3.5 adapters to mount to the 3.5 inch bays.

the case with a x9dri-ln4+ motherboard was 900.00 including shipping.

The cpu upgrade for a matched set of E5-2695 v2  for 300.00

The memory upgrade to 128GB ecc ddr3 ram was  190.00

the seperate CPU coolers 2 x cooler master hyper212 was 70.00.

total cost 1460.00 well worth it.

2018-12-22 17.52.20.jpg

This is the way to go. Most of us came from gaming or workstation builds and are not used to server rack mount cases, but a supermicro case, backplane, and motherboard are industrial grade reliable and just work. 

I went from big huge tower case (Coolermaster Cosmos) to Rosewill 4U server rack mount case. If I did it all over I would just go with used supermicro 846 24 bay 3.5" case, Supermicro Intel 2011 motherboard and be done with it. I dont have a "rack", it just sits on a shelf in my basement.

Look at this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SuperMicro-CSE-846-24-Bay-SAS2-BP-Server-w-X9DRi-F-2x-6-Core-E5-2620-2Ghz-Sleds/192950842364?hash=item2cecc433fc:g:PkoAAOSwXFldA9Al:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!48138!US!-1

hard to beat for the price (24 bay case+motherboard+2 processors) you just need cheap used ebay  DDR3 ECC Registered memory and potentially a SAS/SATA HBA drive controller, but that motherboard might have one built in.

• 4 weeks later...

Im currently using the R5 as well, Ive got the classic 8 drives with the FD cages it comes with, and am using 2 of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032UUGF4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I replaced the 5.25 bays with those boxes to get me more airflow as well, and I replaced the fans that come with those airboxes with Noctua's.

Down the line I will also be replacing the bottom mounted 140MM fan with 2 more drive cages as I need it.

In total currently I am housing 14 drives in the case.

I figured Id mention my solution with this case as the case is whisper quiet even at max speeds, and very affordable. Im sure down the line far from now I will be replacing it with a 4U or something though, but thats many many years from now.

Edited by feyded1020
10 hours ago, feyded1020 said:

Im currently using the R5 as well, Ive got the classic 8 drives with the FD cages it comes with, and am using 2 of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032UUGF4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I replaced the 5.25 bays with those boxes to get me more airflow as well, and I replaced the fans that come with those airboxes with Noctua's.

Down the line I will also be replacing the bottom mounted 140MM fan with 2 more drive cages as I need it.

In total currently I am housing 14 drives in the case.

I figured Id mention my solution with this case as the case is whisper quiet even at max speeds, and very affordable. Im sure down the line far from now I will be replacing it with a 4U or something though, but thats many many years from now.

Got any pics to show us exactly what you did? I’m having trouble understanding how you fit more than one of those cages in your R5.

2 hours ago, ramblinreck47 said:

Got any pics to show us exactly what you did? I’m having trouble understanding how you fit more than one of those cages in your R5.

This is essentially what I did, I am at work right now so I dont have any way to get pictures.

Either way the R2-R5 cases can hold a ton of drives if setup for it. My highest temps are the SSD drives so far at 47*C, but only when dealing with a ton of IO for sustained time periods. My spinning drives see a constant 30-36*C even when rebuilding parity.

I hope that helps though, I got the inspiration to buy the Fractal Design from that post.

Edited by feyded1020