Has anyone successfully added a usb hdd to the array?

DZMM

I did it, but the use was strictly to setup a USB based SSD to host my dockers for Serviio and minidlna. No issues other than I had a hard time getting all the settings for Serviio mapped to the right device - that kept two drives spun up for a while but that was sorted in December and since then - no drives spinning - Serviio works fine, serves my smart TVs and a couple of Rokus with content.  Nothing wrong with Serviio - I just did some dumb things while setting the dockers up.  I did set the SSD to automount. Also, my system is fairly static - just has 13.5 TB of storage currently and all my drives are pretty full.

I *DO* understand your dilemma with being maxed on SATA ports - been there for a year.

4 hours ago, Unqualified Spectator said:

I did it, but the use was strictly to setup a USB based SSD to host my dockers for Serviio and minidlna. No issues other than I had a hard time getting all the settings for Serviio mapped to the right device - that kept two drives spun up for a while but that was sorted in December and since then - no drives spinning - Serviio works fine, serves my smart TVs and a couple of Rokus with content.  Nothing wrong with Serviio - I just did some dumb things while setting the dockers up.  I did set the SSD to automount. Also, my system is fairly static - just has 13.5 TB of storage currently and all my drives are pretty full.

I *DO* understand your dilemma with being maxed on SATA ports - been there for a year.

Thanks - I'm going to go UD as well.  I'll just keep data on there that isn't critical to be parity protected and I'll look to including it in a backup somewhere.

What hardware do you have?