unRAID OS version 6.4.0 Stable Release Available

limetech

Just now, witalit said:

How do you specify which IP address I would like each docker to use?

Change the network type of the container to a custom network, e.g. br0. Then an additional field becomes available in which a fixed IP address can be entered.

Alternatively you can define a DHCP range used for automatic IP assignment to containers. Stop the Docker service (see Settings) and switch to advanced view. Now define a range which does NOT overlap with your router DHCP range (Docker isn't aware of your router's DHCP).

4 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Change the network type of the container to a custom network, e.g. br0. Then an additional field becomes available in which a fixed IP address can be entered.

Alternatively you can define a DHCP range used for automatic IP assignment to containers. Stop the Docker service (see Settings) and switch to advanced view. Now define a range which does NOT overlap with your router DHCP range (Docker isn't aware of your router's DHCP).

Tried that but no additional field appears. I need fixed IP only for 1 docker really which is pi-hole as that is my DNS server. 

1 minute ago, bonienl said:

What is the output of

docker network ls

NETWORK ID          NAME                DRIVER              SCOPE
f6a3c81e6499        bridge              bridge              local
fcb1743bd326        homenet             macvlan             local
cacc4631718f        host                host                local
fb37bf6e1ea2        none                null                local

homenet is the extra vlan I setup for docker containers.

Upgrading from v6.3.5, I stopped all dockers and VMs, stopped the array, upgraded the unRAID OS from the plugins tab, zipfile downloaded and extracted successfully, got message that reboot was required for unRAID OS update.

Went to main tab and clicked Reboot button, webGUI displayed system reboot.  I waited ~ 5 min and webGUI wasn't showing reboot.  Went to console window and I see this line repeating over and over (scrolling) in the console window:  "Warning:  Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/ipmi/scripts/ipmifan on line 322".

The reboot process is hung and if I open a new webGUI window I see that v6.3.5 is still showing.  What should I do next?

The problem is your manually created network (homenet), it doesn't allow unRAID to create a custom network since the source is already used.

My recommendation is to do the following:

1. Temporary change the network type of your pi-hole container to "bridge"

2. Execute the following the remove and rebuild all docker networks

rm /var/lib/docker/network/files/local-kv.db
/etc/rc.d/rc.docker restart

3. You should now have eth0 or br0 as network.

# docker network ls
NETWORK ID          NAME                DRIVER              SCOPE
865de5dae5cd        br0                 macvlan             local
980f34d59a52        bridge              bridge              local
0a8621dc505b        host                host                local
46669c29d09e        none                null                local

4. Change the network type of your pi-hole container to br0 (eth0)

5. Assign a fixed IP address to the container.

Ps. Rereading your post. When you have a VLAN defined then it is necessary to assign a (fixed) IP address to it. This allows Docker to add it automatically to the list of available networks.

This post might help

Edited by bonienl
8 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Reboot in safemode

I'm stuck with v6.3.5 not shutting down to reboot, reboot is hung.  If the server would shutdown and then start the reboot process I could chose safemode from the boot menu, but I can't get to that step.  How do a force a clean shutdown from the hung condition?

4 minutes ago, moose said:

I'm stuck with v6.3.5 not shutting down to reboot, reboot is hung.  If the server would shutdown and then start the reboot process I could chose safemode from the boot menu, but I can't get to that step.  How do a force a clean shutdown from the hung condition?

Sorry, my misunderstanding. I thought you couldn't boot the new version.

Doing a REBOOT form the GUI should eventually make the system reboot, this could take a couple minutes.

In your case it looks like some process is preventing this from happening. You can try to kill the running processes manually by using CLI.

ps -ef                       # list running processes

kill -9 <pid>             # kill a specific process

7 minutes ago, moose said:

Stop the array.  This will force any pending  writes to all the disks and set the bit that 'says' that the array was stopped.  Then force the reboot.  If a a parity check starts, allow it to run for a few minutes and if not errors, just stop it. 

13 minutes ago, moose said:

If the array won't stop, or you have no access to an SSH session and can't initiate a new one, do this ...

Briefly press the power button on the server, it will typically be able to cleanly stop the array and shutdown the server. Don't push power button too long on server will power off immediately. When you do the power button press, it may take a minute before there is any sign of activity. In fact I've seen it take longer. But it should eventually kill whatever process is causing the shutdown to hang and bring things down.

I suppose there may be situations under which this method does not work (I've never had one). But I'd give it at 5-7 minutes before giving up.

7 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Sorry, my misunderstanding. I thought you couldn't boot the new version.

Doing a REBOOT form the GUI should eventually make the system reboot, this could take a couple minutes.

In your case it looks like some process is preventing this from happening. You can try to kill the running processes manually by using CLI.

ps -ef                       # list running processes

kill -9 <pid>             # kill a specific process

Thank you bonienl.  Those commands worked.  I was able to identify the ipmifan process and kill it.  Immediately after killing it the reboot completed and 6.4.0 is showing as the OS.  All is good!

9 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Stop the array.  This will force any pending  writes to all the disks and set the bit that 'says' that the array was stopped.  Then force the reboot.  If a a parity check starts, allow it to run for a few minutes and if not errors, just stop it. 

Thank you Frank1940, I already had the array stopped before I upgraded unRAID OS via the plugins page.  I'll note what you stated for future use if necessary.

6 minutes ago, SSD said:

If the array won't stop, or you have no access to an SSH session and can't initiate a new one, do this ...

Briefly press the power button on the server, it will typically be able to cleanly stop the array and shutdown the server. Don't push power button too long on server will power off immediately. When you do the power button press, it may take a minute before there is any sign of activity. In fact I've seen it take longer. But it should eventually kill whatever process is causing the shutdown to hang and bring things down.

I suppose there may be situations under which this method does not work (I've never had one). But I'd give it at 5-7 minutes before giving up.

Thanks SSD.  bonienl's, steps worked in my case, but I think I've done your brief power button step before to get a clean shutdown.  All good tips!

Edited by moose

I've got the certificate provision by adding the custom line to Pfsense DNS resolver. I had to open the terminal window and ping google.com first before I could get the cert to provision. If anyone is having problems getting the Cert to provision, give that a try.

I'm having problems with plugins. All statuses show "Unknown" on the plugin page and I am receving this error:

Jan 13 12:25:21 Tower root: error: /plugins/unassigned.devices/UnassignedDevices.php: wrong csrf_token
Jan 13 12:25:23 Tower root: error: /plugins/unassigned.devices/UnassignedDevices.php: wrong csrf_token
Jan 13 12:25:23 Tower root: error: /plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token

7 minutes ago, gar13 said:

Jan 13 12:25:21 Tower root: error: /plugins/unassigned.devices/UnassignedDevices.php: wrong csrf_token
Jan 13 12:25:23 Tower root: error: /plugins/unassigned.devices/UnassignedDevices.php: wrong csrf_token
Jan 13 12:25:23 Tower root: error: /plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: wrong csrf_token

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-545988

I reluctantly made the upgrade to 6.4 as I had zero success with any of the pre-releases.  But since it was titled as a stable release, I figured I'd give it a shot.

One hour in and I have yet another hard crash.  I have not touched anything since.

- I cannot access Web UI

- I cannot SSH in

- Monitor output shows a flashing dash

- Pinging the IP gets "destination host unreachable"

To make sure I provide the most information possible, before I roll back to stable 6.3.5, how should I gather necessary information in order to better troubleshoot?

22 hours ago, limetech said:

You will also notice in your address bar a very funny looking URL consisting of a 40-hex-character subdomain of unraid.net. We have set up a LimeTech DNS server that will resolve that URL to your servers IP address on your local network. That FQDN is unique to your certificate. When your browser resolves that URL it is given your local IP address which it then uses to perform the https connection handshake.

Is it possible to don't do this? I'm not a fan of that at all and I really don't need the ability to access my unRaid server across the internet.

8 minutes ago, gar13 said:

Thanks Squid, that fixed the log issue, but still not able to see status of all Plugins

I left that one alone due to your cert problems.  A status of unknown is where the system is unable to determine the available versions because it can't communicate with GitHub.com

17 minutes ago, Living Legend said:

I reluctantly made the upgrade to 6.4 as I had zero success with any of the pre-releases.  But since it was titled as a stable release, I figured I'd give it a shot.

One hour in and I have yet another hard crash.  I have not touched anything since.

- I cannot access Web UI

- I cannot SSH in

- Monitor output shows a flashing dash

- Pinging the IP gets "destination host unreachable"

To make sure I provide the most information possible, before I roll back to stable 6.3.5, how should I gather necessary information in order to better troubleshoot?

I'm getting dirty looks from the family on this cold weekend day about the server being down, so I'm going to reset via IPMI and see if there is any data I can collect before starting the array and rolling back to a version that's actually stable for me.

1 minute ago, jrdnlc said:

Any idea why btrfs is no longer support for cache drives? I'm getting a 

Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout

error and it's asking me to format my drive. 

btrfs is supported, you have a non standard unRAID partition, likely created with an old version of the UD plugin, you need to downgrade back to v.6.3.5, backup your cache to the array, upgrade back to v6.4, reformat the cache device and restore the data back, you can use this procedure to do the backup/restore.

• limetech unpinned and locked this topic