unRAID OS version 6.4.0 Stable Release Available

limetech

Updated this morning and most things seem okay. However I have a Ubuntu VM that shows as started in the web GUI and log doesn't seem to have errors but i cant access it.

Diagnostics attached. If I VNC to the VM is says' Guest has not initialized the display (yet).'

tower-diagnostics-20180116-0855.zip

EDIE: CPU0 is at 100% constantly when VM is running. If I force kill VM, CPU0 returns to normal.

Edited by mgladwin
more info

Upgraded from 6.3.5 remotely with no issues upgrading. Saw the WebUI port issue, but I've already stopped using custom ports when I worked out custom docker networks.

Curio: For some reason it was very slow to download some 16hrs ago ~20KB/s max ... - retried about 10hrs ago and it was zippy and maxed out my 6Mbps link - maybe I was first to DL it from Asia?

One caveat (but I've ironed it out with @bonienl) if you have customized docker networks, they will not work as you expect on 6.4. I never got to try the RCs so this caught me off guard.

Currently I don't like the heavy handed approach to cleaning up the custom docker networks, but there's a workaround for that until it gets more polished.

Still an excellent release overall.

57 minutes ago, mgladwin said:

Updated this morning and most things seem okay. However I have a Ubuntu VM that shows as started in the web GUI and log doesn't seem to have errors but i cant access it.

Diagnostics attached. If I VNC to the VM is says' Guest has not initialized the display (yet).'

tower-diagnostics-20180116-0855.zip

EDIE: CPU0 is at 100% constantly when VM is running. If I force kill VM, CPU0 returns to normal.

I had same issue and turned out to be Safari VNC didnot work. Used chrome from a mac and VNC worked like a champ. 

1 minute ago, gestrella said:

I had same issue and turned out to be Safari VNC didnot work. Used chrome from a mac and VNC worked like a champ. 

Unfortunately, I've tried Firefox (my main browser that I use) and Chrome. Both don't work.

I don't think its VNC in my case but something to do with the VM not starting properly and stopping VNC from connecting??

6 hours ago, CowboyRedBeard said:

For me, and I'm sure a lot of other users, I'm primarily using unRAID as a way to acquire / store / serve up media that I download on the interwebz. I'd be concerned that there is someplace (via logs or something else) a centralized repository available for certain litigious organizations to go hunting with. They're certainly always looking for new and creative ways to find people to sue.

Not sure what all info you guys store in that hosting, but anything like that also makes a pretty attractive target for malicious exploration by nefarious groups.

What use is having a list of non-routable IP addresses? That's all that would be in the unraid DNS zone.

ie: 192.168.100.1 or 10.0.0.x or whatever local ip the server has.

3 hours ago, dlandon said:

The operative word is "offline".  Trying to include a preclear operation in the webgui with UD working with the disks not in the array is causing me a lot of support issues and gfjardim a lot of issues with keeping the preclear from hanging.

Preclearing a disk is not a daily need for unRAID operation and it should be done on a backup or dedicated system using the script as in the Joe L way of doing things.  Those of you that preclear a gazillion disks can do it on a dedicated system and not on unRAID.  New users think preclear is a necessity and install the plugin only to find out the issues with the preclear operation on unRAID and then ask for all kinds of support.  Just install the disks, let unRAID clear them, and run a parity check if you are nervous about the state of the disk.  A new disk should not need a preclear.  How many people run a preclear on a new disk in a Windows PC?

And how many suffer data loss from drive failures in a Windows PC? The point of unRAID is to keep your data safe. Imagine how irate users would get when they add a drive to a file server designed to protect your data and it doesn't work? They won't care that it's not unRAID's fault and that they had faulty hardware. They just want their data to be protected.

Just something to think about.

I completely see the point of the endless support headaches caused by preclear not functioning properly.

6 minutes ago, gridrunner said:

no should be like this

append rcu_nocbs=0-15 initrd=/bzroot

Actually I don't think order options matters.  What's important:

• Only one line that starts with 'kernel' and,
  • only one line that starts with 'append' (i.e., all options to pass must be on the same line).
  • Options specified on the append line must be separated by spaces.
55 minutes ago, mgladwin said:

Unfortunately, I've tried Firefox (my main browser that I use) and Chrome. Both don't work.

I don't think its VNC in my case but something to do with the VM not starting properly and stopping VNC from connecting??

Re-creating the VM fixed it and I can now access the VM through VNC. However the VM has no internet access. If i do 'ifconfig' all I get is the lo interface.

Any ideas on how i get the correct interface back?

31 minutes ago, limetech said:

Actually I don't think order options matters.  What's important:

• Only one line that starts with 'kernel' and,
  • only one line that starts with 'append' (i.e., all options to pass must be on the same line).
  • Options specified on the append line must be separated by spaces.

Ah, I thought the order was important! I was always putting the options before initrd=/bzroot.

Well, that certainly makes it easier now knowing that!

1 hour ago, mgladwin said:

Re-creating the VM fixed it and I can now access the VM through VNC. However the VM has no internet access. If i do 'ifconfig' all I get is the lo interface.

Any ideas on how i get the correct interface back?

Just to close this out.

Editing my /etc/network/interfaces to have the correct interface name did the trick.

8 minutes ago, deaerator said:

Since the new Unraid handles the new webgui on a different port and have the ability to change it.

any benefit to leaving this line in the go file

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp -p 8008 &

It isn't strictly required, but to reduce confusion I'd remove the port information. So:

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

• Like 2

Updated both my servers today, however, one of them will not allow access to the GUI.  I've tried each boot option but no success.  I've included diagnostics and any assistance would be welcomed.  I've reverted back to v6.3.5 so I'm back to normal for now, until I can figure out why I cant access the web GUI with 6.4.    

towerii-diagnostics-20180115-1912.zip

Edited by cpthook
5 hours ago, BRiT said:

What use is having a list of non-routable IP addresses? That's all that would be in the unraid DNS zone.

ie: 192.168.100.1 or 10.0.0.x or whatever local ip the server has.

I assume as it is today, the list would have private IP's. But, as with any good system, I'm sure it keeps extensive logs so it might contain other data like "serial # / license # XYZ added a DNS record and it came from public IP x.x.x.x".

Who knows. I'm not sure what they'll be tracking. But any time you have a centralized anything... you're a target. Try opening SSH on your home firewall and see if you can get 2 beers down before some bot or China address starts brute-force attacking it.

"Probably secure" "Probably benign" aren't really solid strategies IMO.

I mean, I still run SSL USENET downloads through private VPN.

Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me. :ph34r:

• Upvote 1
  • limetech unpinned and locked this topic