unRAID OS version 6.4.0 Stable Release Available

limetech

1 hour ago, FreeMan said:

I upgraded on Sunday (the 14th), and everything went swimmingly. I woke up Monday morning (the 15th) to find a Pushover notification at about 04:30 that a parity check started followed a few minutes later by one indicating that FCP had detected an unclean shut down. That's pretty unusual for me as I usually have >100 days uptime and only bring the server down for upgrades (software or hardware). I let it ride since I had to head to work.

I woke up this morning (the 16th) to find that the server had restarted at about 01:30 and launched another parity check. I had enough presence of mind to put FCP into trouble shooting mode, which was handy because at about 08:30 this morning I got another set of notices that a parity check had started and FCP had detected an unclean shut down.

Before I left this morning, I shut down all dockers except OpenVPN so I'd be able to check in on it from work during the day. I was receiving tons of errors indicating issues with the Advanced Buttons plugin, so I connected via TeamViewer and uninstalled that.

Logs are attached. Server specs in my .sig are current. I haven't had a chance to run a memtest yet - I'm hoping to make it through a parity check before taking the system down for that. The parity check has been running almost 11 hours now and is about 50% complete (yes, it's normally that slow - that's another issue to tackle).

I'm open to any and all suggestions.

FCPsyslog_tail.txt

nas-diagnostics-20180116-0816.zip

Additionally - FCP says I've got Machine Check Events detected. I installed mcelog from NerdPack per instructions. How do I run it and/or where do I grab the logs from that?

On 1/12/2018 at 3:23 PM, limetech said:

ALL PREVIOUS DATA ON THAT DEVICE WILL BE DESTROYED. Hence it is not possible, in this release, to encrypt in-place. We plan to add a utility in a future release to accomplish this however.

Is it possible to go to /Shares/Link_for _User_Share/Share Settings example "Media" <where all my data is stored to Drive 1. Then, Stop array, encrypt xfs on Drive 2 through Drive X;  Start Array,Passkey, then  copy all data from NFS unencrypted drive to one of the Encrypted drives (Drive 2) then go back and Encrypt Drive 1?    

Additionally - FCP says I've got Machine Check Events detected. I installed mcelog from NerdPack per instructions. How do I run it and/or where do I grab the logs from that?
And I just received notification that a parity started again.

Fortunately, Open VPN started and Controlr is working so I can go shut down all my Dockers again. I can post more logs when I get home.

Anyone have any idea what's causing this?

Sent from Tapatalk

11 hours ago, h3xcmd said:

Is it possible to go to /Shares/Link_for _User_Share/Share Settings example "Media" <where all my data is stored to Drive 1. Then, Stop array, encrypt xfs on Drive 2 through Drive X;  Start Array,Passkey, then  copy all data from NFS unencrypted drive to one of the Encrypted drives (Drive 2) then go back and Encrypt Drive 1?    

Not entirely clear what you have in mind. At the 2nd sentence you imply destroying all the data on all array drives except drive 1. Is this really what you mean?

Not sure what you mean by NFS after that. Do you mean using an NFS shared drive on unRAID to copy files over the network to another drive on unRAID? Possibly you mean to copy the files from drive1 this way?

10 minutes ago, FreeMan said:

Fortunately, Open VPN started and Controlr is working so I can go shut down all my Dockers again. I can post more logs when I get home.

Note the sending time of the notification that the Parity Check started and when you get a chance, look at the log file and see what is  the time of the first entry.  The information may provide evidence that the server is spontaneously rebooting.  (That is only reason that I can think for random starting of a Parity check.) 

If that is not the case, look around the time that the Parity Check started to see if there is a clue there. 

Note the sending time of the notification that the Parity Check started and when you get a chance, look at the log file and see what is  the time of the first entry.  The information may provide evidence that the server is spontaneously rebooting.  (That is only reason that I can think for random starting of a Parity check.) 

If that is not the case, look around the time that the Parity Check started to see if there is a clue there. 
The parity check is kicking off because the server is rebooting. At the time I posted that, it had been up for 8 minutes. Also, FCP has reported an unclean shut down.

The question is WHY is it spontaneously rebooting?

I posted logs (thank you FCP troubleshooting mode!) from prior to the previous shutdown in my initial post a few above. I can post additional logs from the most recent one when I get home this evening.

Sent from Tapatalk

You have a lot of plugins, including preclear that has possible issues with v6.4, might be worth booting in safe mode and check if it's stable without all the plugins.
Thanks, Johnnie, that makes sense.

Should have done that to start with. I hit the panic button when it started rebooting.

I'll uninstall preclear and see if it remains stable.

Sent from Tapatalk

2 machines upgraded from v6.3.5 to v6.4.0 successfully through the plugins menu. Using HTTPS with self signed certificate working fine on FireFox v57.0.4. System logs look clean. EVERYTHING feels faster.

Online 18hrs - Supermicro - H8DM8-2 Server with 25 HDD's

Online 14hrs - ASRock - X99 Extreme4 with 10 HDD's.

3 VM's (Win2k12R2/Debian/Ubuntu) came back online without issue.

3 dockers (2 x Dolphin and 1 Plex) came back online without issue.

And the 2 issues i was having here with the Supermicro appear to be resolved.

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/54602-scsi-and-lan-errors-kernel-crashing/?tab=comments#comment-533304

Thanks team!

Edited by chris1259
2 minutes ago, clevoir said:

Why have the posts which I have made today been deleted from this forum.

I am having difficuty with one of my servers, and thought that this is the correct forum the report issues with the new release so that we can all share our experiences????

Settle down.  They were moved because you didn't read:

Just click on your own icon and see where your posts (and replies) are now.

20 hours ago, FreeMan said:

Going forward (after a reboot), FCP will log the output from mcelog into the syslog.

Alternatively, you can also at any time do

mcelog

Well, since the server rebooted itself 10:49 ago, I guess I'm getting mcelog piped into my syslog!  Thanks, @Squid.

Hey, @Frank1940 - I didn't mean to sound ungrateful or unappreciative. I was frustrated with the reboot, and at work, so I was trying to tap that out quickly. Sorry if that came out sounding wrong...

Edited by FreeMan

I just upgraded from 18f to the 6.4.0 release. Everything is fine except I have a third ethernet interface that is a USB dongle that worked fine up until the released version. Here is snapshot from the diagnostics logs under /boot/logs/ when it was working and the current logs where it fails to load:

From December when it was working

kernel: usb 2-4: reset SuperSpeed USB device number 4 using xhci_hcd

kernel: r8152 2-4:1.0 eth0: v1.09.9

kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver r8152 

Current logs (this is from a few places throughout)

usb 2-4: Device not responding to setup address.

usb 2-4: device not accepting address 4, error -71

usb 2-4: device not accepting address 8, error -71

usb 2-4: device not accepting address 9, error -71

usb usb2-port4: unable to enumerate USB device

It worked fine previously and another usb ethernet interface (different vendor) is working under the previous and current config. I am using the LibreELEC Kernel 6.4.0.

Thanks

Edited by mibsy
13 hours ago, FreeMan said:

The question is WHY is it spontaneously rebooting?

I posted logs (thank you FCP troubleshooting mode!) from prior to the previous shutdown in my initial post a few above. I can post additional logs from the most recent one when I get home this evening.

13 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

You have a lot of plugins, including preclear that has possible issues with v6.4, might be worth booting in safe mode and check if it's stable without all the plugins.

That is the $64 question.  It can be either software or hardware.  (My server was doing unclean shutdowns and I traced the problem to a new PS that I can installed about three weeks prior!)  So I would suggest that you follow @johnnie.black suggestion and boot it in the Safe Mode.  That should eliminate everything except for the hardware and the base unRAID OS.   And the base unRAID OS would be my second choice for a cause in that investigation. 

I upgraded to 6.4.0 from 6.4.0-rc21b yesterday. Flawless upgrade. My Windows VM's start, stop, restart perfectly through the webGUI. Great job to all on the tremendous work that went into 6.4.0!!

One minor thing I noticed (probably a WebGUI problem @bonienl) is that when I stop a VM, the page does not automatically refresh to reflect the VM's current status. Issuing a start or force stop command through the WebGUI does automatically refresh the page to show the VM's new status.

Attaching diagnostics in case they are of any use.

filesvr-diagnostics-20180118-0639.zip

9 minutes ago, GHunter said:

One minor thing I noticed (probably a WebGUI problem @bonienl) is that when I stop a VM, the page does not automatically refresh to reflect the VM's current status. Issuing a start or force stop command through the WebGUI does automatically refresh the page to show the VM's new status.

It have been like that for as long as I can remember. I don't remember the reason why it is behaving like this.

Just upgraded, and everything went swimmingly (I uninstalled preclear & statistics before I upgraded). 

Interface feels super snappy now, although I miss the padding on the white theme, and the Azure isn't yet vibing with me (maybe in the future I'll try it again). 

My ISP router doesn't allow DNS rebinding, and also doesn't allow me to turn that feature off, so no SSL for me though (don't want to have to fiddle with host files for every PC I would use to access the UI). 

Thanks all for another great version of unRAID!

1 hour ago, jademonkee said:

so no SSL for me though (don't want to have to fiddle with host files for every PC I would use to access the UI). 

If you put the setting to 'Yes', you will get the self-signed certificate.  You will then have to beat your browser into submission as none of them 'like' self-signed certificates.  Google is your friend in doing this.  (If I remember correctly, I use terms like 'trusted site' along with the browser name.)  I did not have to edit the hosts file although, for Chrome, I did have to add my servers as Trusted sites in a a Control Panel app.  A bit of a hassle but it only took a couple of minutes after I found the right procedure with Google.  (Be sure you look at the date on the procedure as what worked a few years ago may not work with the current browser.)

Edited by Frank1940
  • Like 1

I uninstalled the preclear plugin and everything was looking good. But, it rebooted just a few minutes ago. :(

I'll have to restart in safe mode when I get home this evening. Is there value in letting the parity check finish? It takes about 20 hours to run and i may forget the reboot in the morning leading to another cycle...

Sent from Tapatalk

• limetech unpinned and locked this topic