unRAID OS version 6.4.0 Stable Release Available


limetech

537 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Download   If you are running a previous stable release, clicking 'Check for Updates' on the Plugins page is the preferred way to upgrade. If you are running a 6.4.0-rc, click 'Check fo

Not criticizing. It's just that simple answers to simple questions often lead to more questions, some of which may have already been answered.   By the way, we are all mostly just volunteers

For PFSense if you're using unbound dns resolver just put into custom options and this will work correctly server: private-domain: "unraid.net"  

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Shinobi said:

HI,

I started using Unraid for the first time with 6.4.0 Stable release .(On Ryzen 1700X/X370 Asus Prime)

USB booting is Ok,

The system just had one & only one new hard disk.(WD Datacenter)

I think I started the array, Unraid was telling that the hdd is unpartitioned/unformatted and such.

After that  I initiated a quick smart test & was clicking around the GUI,

Suddenly the Web interface got stuck, went to the putty/ssh session to check, ran top, saw a process @100% and then the ssh session go stuck too.

But ping to the Tower was responding.

Initiating a second ssh session did not help either. Had to hard shutdown & restart the machine.

Wondering what is going on...

 

Then later after a fresh reboot the hdd was formatted, Tried to create a Ubuntu VM & so on and then, the server was left on its own for an hour.

ping was running on the client machine & Tower was responding.

Then tried to refresh the unraid page, and then that was it.. Unraid got stuck.. Then ping also timed out.

Screenshot attached of 100% cpu use.

 

Client machine runs on XP & uses Firefox ESR & Putty to connect to Unraid Tower.

 

(Also had another issue where I started VirtIO download & then could not stop the array.. Had to kill the wget, so that it did not use the share.)

emhhtpd_100_percent.jpg

Guys.. any ideas for the above mentioned issue... ??

Link to post
 
I'm seeing the same thing - did you find a solution?
 
Speedtest isn't a critical element, but it is a nicety, especially since my service has been a bit up'n down of late.



edit:  Spoke too soon.  Speedtest no longer works because it keeps saying that it needs python 2 from the NerdPack plugin.  Well I remove & then reinstall NerdPack & it keeps complaining about python 2.  Finally I tired to install python 2 by itself & it tells me that it is already installed.  I did stop/restart my server.

The speedtest plugin is looking for /usr/bin/python
You have to go to Settings/NerdPack and toggle on python-2.7.14a-x86_64-1.txz and click apply.
Link to post

Seems this update is the death of unmenu ?  ;(

 

upgraded one server .... had a lot of issues with your port 443 and one of my dockers ... which i managed to change by changing the dockers IP

 

but unmenu is a mess now ....

guess i will have to learn to live without it ... any way we can add like the last 20 lines of the system log optionally to the dashboard ....

i understand that not everybody would want that .... but the main reason why i kept unmenu going was because of the logs... when i had an issue with the unraid gui i always had unmenu nicely pointing out where the issue could be.....

 

Also lost some of my custom images for some dockers :(

or can i put them in a different folder ? tended to use the unmenu folder for those 555

 

Is the go file still being parsed as i still have a few others in there :P


#give nobody shell access
usermod -s /bin/bash nobody
#usermod -G mysql mysql

#create sshd lastlog
touch /var/log/lastlog

#content
cp /boot/custom/content/contentcatalog /etc/cron.weekly/
chmod +x /etc/cron.weekly/contentcatalog

#crontab
crontab -l > /tmp/file1; echo '#Start movie server' >> /tmp/file1; echo '01 08 * * * wakeonlan 48:5B:39:F5:DB:0B' >>/tmp/file1; crontab /tmp/file1; rm /tmp/file1

 

Edited by sacretagent
Link to post
50 minutes ago, sacretagent said:

... any way we can add like the last 20 lines of the system log optionally to the dashboard ....

i understand that not everybody would want that .... but the main reason why i kept unmenu going was because of the logs... when i had an issue with the unraid gui i always had unmenu nicely pointing out where the issue could be.....

Why not just use the Log button on the header/side bar?

Link to post
55 minutes ago, sacretagent said:

Seems this update is the death of unmenu ?  ;(

 

upgraded one server .... had a lot of issues with your port 443 and one of my dockers ... which i managed to change by changing the dockers IP

 

but unmenu is a mess now ....

guess i will have to learn to live without it ... any way we can add like the last 20 lines of the system log optionally to the dashboard ....

i understand that not everybody would want that .... but the main reason why i kept unmenu going was because of the logs... when i had an issue with the unraid gui i always had unmenu nicely pointing out where the issue could be.....

 

Also lost some of my custom images for some dockers :(

or can i put them in a different folder ? tended to use the unmenu folder for those 555

 

Is the go file still being parsed as i still have a few others in there :P



#give nobody shell access
usermod -s /bin/bash nobody
#usermod -G mysql mysql

#create sshd lastlog
touch /var/log/lastlog

#content
cp /boot/custom/content/contentcatalog /etc/cron.weekly/
chmod +x /etc/cron.weekly/contentcatalog

#crontab
crontab -l > /tmp/file1; echo '#Start movie server' >> /tmp/file1; echo '01 08 * * * wakeonlan 48:5B:39:F5:DB:0B' >>/tmp/file1; crontab /tmp/file1; rm /tmp/file1

 

It's time to let unmenu go.  You can put all the go file stuff into the User Scripts plugin.  A lot cleaner and easier to maintain.

Link to post
57 minutes ago, sacretagent said:

when i had an issue with the unraid gui i always had unmenu nicely pointing out where the issue could be.....

 

unRAID6.4 has a completely revamped GUI implementation. It is using nginx as web server and emhttp has been relegated to a background daemon. This approach not only makes the GUI far more responsive but also GUI hang ups should be a thing from the past.

 

Edited by bonienl
  • Like 1
Link to post
28 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Why not just use the Log button on the header/side bar?

as that requires your unraid gui to respond...

with unmenu the logs were refreshed every 2 minutes and even when your server hung most of the time you were able to see on the unmenu screen what happened ...

 

anyway we will have to adjust as always....

 

but the spacing on this new gui is to wide

can we get an option to make it like before ?

 

 

Link to post
25 minutes ago, bonienl said:

 

unRAID6.4 has a completely revamped GUI implementation. It is using nginx as web server and emhttp has been relegated to a background daemon. This approach not only makes the GUI far more responsive but also GUI hang ups should be a thing from the past.

 

 

Ahem to that bonienl, its been a long time coming but we got there in the end :-), really glad to see this particular issue buried.

Link to post
4 minutes ago, sacretagent said:

as that requires your unraid gui to respond...

with unmenu the logs were refreshed every 2 minutes and even when your server hung most of the time you were able to see on the unmenu screen what happened ...

 

anyway we will have to adjust as always....

 

but the spacing on this new gui is to wide

can we get an option to make it like before ?

 

I'll concur with you there, in some instances such as the plugins list it's adding a horizontal scroll bar for some reason.

 

Link to post

I also want to point out that I tried extensively to get other linux distros to crash, including running the same slackware distro and kernel version that you were utilizing for unRAID.  I never had a crash outside unRAID.  I know that "one data-point does not a fact make", and I'm not trying to point fingers, just sharing my experiences with my particular Ryzen system, which has attained 'Canary in a Coal-Mine' status - if there is a problem, my system hangs quicker than the rest, and has only ever hung while running unRAID, and never hung with rc7a or with 'Global C-state Control' disabled.
 
Paul


Late reply since I forgot yesterday with all the activity, I'm also a regular reader at the FreeNAS forum and they have the same crashing issue with Ryzen, disabling C-states also helps, and FreeNAS isn't even Linux based, but FreeBSD.
Link to post

So I went through the install process.... After my motherboard splash screen that system sits with a blinking courser and is stuck there. Suggestions?

 

After about 6 reboots now seems to work. I set boot from legacy + uefi to just uefi the back to legacy+uefi and it worked.

Edited by Exos
Link to post
On 1/12/2018 at 2:23 PM, limetech said:

You will also notice in your address bar a very funny looking URL consisting of a 40-hex-character subdomain of unraid.net. We have set up a LimeTech DNS server that will resolve that URL to your servers IP address on your local network. That FQDN is unique to your certificate. When your browser resolves that URL it is given your local IP address which it then uses to perform the https connection handshake.

 

I'm sorry.... But I don't understand why you think this is a good idea. I'm guessing this is due to your auto provision, but um.... no thanks. That's a really poor idea for a ton of reasons.

Link to post
8 minutes ago, bonienl said:

 

Please explain what are the cons?

 

You only need 1, and that is being reliant on their DNS for it to work. That's enough of a reason by itself. 

 

I mean, I'm not the super system / linux guru... but I have been a networking security guy for 15+ years including being Cisco CCIE in security.

 

A self signed cert you can add as trusted would be better IMO.

 

Edited by CowboyRedBeard
Link to post

Dockers seem faster, and overall everything is working well.

 

The only issue I've experienced so far is one of my VM's wouldn't start because the drive image was missing. I have it on an unassigned device SSD, and the folder was still there but the drive image was gone. I restored it from a backup and it's up and running now. Strange.

 

The only other humble advice I'd offer for the future is... next time maybe have a "are you sure you want to upgrade?" verification. I clicked on the "download now" at the bottom of the screen and it just started the upgrade without any further verification. Might be good to at least show release notes, caveats, known issues and have the user confirm instead.

Link to post
6 minutes ago, CowboyRedBeard said:

 

You only need 1, and that is being reliant on their DNS for it to work. That's enough of a reason by itself. 

 

I mean, I'm not the super system / linux guru... but I have been a networking security guy for 15+ years including being Cisco CCIE in security.

 

 

Well, you can turn it off ('No' setting) and run the GUI without SSL/TLS protection (just like unRAID prior to this version) or set it to 'Yes' and use a self-signed certificate which will cause your browser to pitch a fit until you get it setup to ignore that fact.  You kinda have to pick your poison...

 

(Personally, I am using the self signed certificate.) 

Link to post
18 minutes ago, CowboyRedBeard said:

and that is being reliant on their DNS for it to work

 

True, but it still is a user choice and not mandatory.

 

14 minutes ago, CowboyRedBeard said:

Might be good to at least show release notes,  caveats, known issues

 

Release notes and other information are available up front by clicking on the blue info icon, which can be done before upgrading.

Depending on your current version there are more or less caveats when upgrading. Bit of a challenge to explain all possible scenarios, but it definitely needs more attention for future releases.

Link to post
  • limetech unpinned and locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.