Do I need a gpu and a monitor?

So this will be my first time doing anything like this. I have selected the e3-1230 v5 CPU, with the Supermicro x11ssm-f MOBO. I realize this CPU does not have onboard graphics (now), but I was planning on running this server headless anyway. I am of the understanding that I will be able to access everything on it from my laptop and will not need to be physically on the server. But what about on the initial setup? After I get the system built, wont I need to be able to connect a monitor to access the BIOS for the initial setup? I have read about using IPMI, but do not understand how to do this at all. Do I need to buy a cheap GPU just for the initial setup? I'm so lost....

I have read about using IPMI

With IPMI you can access the server over lan like if you had a monitor, keyboard and mouse connected, you should read more about it, besides the X11SSM-F has a VGA out from the BMC graphics card, you don't need a GPU, and note that if you use a CPU with an iGPU it won't be used for video output.

1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

With IPMI you can access the server over lan like if you had a monitor, keyboard and mouse connected, you should read more about it, besides the X11SSM-F has a VGA out from the BMC graphics card, you don't need a GPU, and note that if you use a CPU with an iGPU it won't be used for video output.

Do you happen to have a link to a beginners guide to using IPMI. I have no idea how to do this, and everything I have found using google is way beyond me.

Edited by jebusfreek666