Start Array/Parity Check stuck on Mounting disks...

Tiller

I recently built a new server as an upgrade to my old rig. I had already transferred over all my old drives and did a parity check and everything was fine. I added a new data drive and a cache drive and everything has been working fine for a few days. Today, another new data drive finished pre-clearing and I tried to stop the array to add the new drive. For some reason, the stopping of the array got hung up, I believe on "Unmounting disks..." I couldn't get anything to change its status, so I powered down the server.

Now when I power it back up and get back to the webGUI (where all drives are detected as in "Normal operation"), I click the "Start" button to start the array and perform a parity check. However, just like when I tried to stop it, it's now stuck on "Mounting disks..."

I'm pretty new to all of this and the command line, so I'm not sure what to do to troubleshoot this and get everything working again. If someone could give me some guidance, it would be greatly appreciated.

6 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Disk5 (md5) is the one with the problem, run xfs_repair on it:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Check_Disk_Filesystems#Drives_formatted_with_XFS

At some point the wiki needs to be updated.

A disk repair tool can be activated from the GUI when the array is in maintenance mode.

The GUI takes care that the right tool - based on the file system in use - and right selected disk are chosen.

Should make life easier :)

root@Tower:~# xfs_repair -v /dev/md5
Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
        - block cache size set to 3040896 entries
Phase 2 - using internal log
        - zero log...
zero_log: head block 196710 tail block 194435
ERROR: The filesystem has valuable metadata changes in a log which needs to
be replayed.  Mount the filesystem to replay the log, and unmount it before
re-running xfs_repair.  If you are unable to mount the filesystem, then use
the -L option to destroy the log and attempt a repair.
Note that destroying the log may cause corruption -- please attempt a mount
of the filesystem before doing this.

This is what I get when trying it. Do I use the -L option?

Just now, bonienl said:

A disk repair tool can be activated from the GUI when the array is in maintenance mode.

The GUI takes care that the right tool - based on the file system in use - and right selected disk are chosen.

Should make life easier :)

How do you do it from the GUI?

Should make life easier

Yes, at some point in the past I linked the GUI instructions, but since most users didn't remove the read only flag it was more work for me, but you're right, I should start linking those instead. 

1 minute ago, bonienl said:

1. Start your array in maintenance mode

2. On the Main page click on the disk which you want to verify/fix

3. Turn on HELP and follow the instructions

Okay. I found it. Thanks.

However, it is giving me the same error message I replied with before about using the -L option. So do I just go ahead and do that or are there any other things I should try since it says the -L option may cause corruption?