6.3.5 to 6.4.0 issue : Flash is blacklisted? [SOLVED]

I have been happily using 6.3.5 on the system in my signature and today decided to update to 6.4.0 using the "Download Now" link on the bottom of the Main page. It successfully downloaded the update and advised that I should reboot. I stopped the server, selected reboot and then ended up at a blank unRAID screen with no devices.

In the banner area at the top was the message "unRAID server - flash device blacklisted".

I have tried capturing diagnostics to attach but nothing is being saved to my downloads folder in Firefox. I can however view the syslog and it is spamming errors like these...

Jan 14 14:55:32 NAS-PLEX init: cannot execute "/bin/sh"
Jan 14 14:55:32 NAS-PLEX init: Id "c3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
Jan 14 14:55:32 NAS-PLEX init: Id "c6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
Jan 14 14:55:32 NAS-PLEX init: Id "c4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
Jan 14 14:55:32 NAS-PLEX init: Id "c1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
Jan 14 14:55:32 NAS-PLEX init: Id "c2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
Jan 14 14:55:32 NAS-PLEX init: Id "c5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
Jan 14 14:55:32 NAS-PLEX init: no more processes left in this runlevel
Jan 14 14:55:33 NAS-PLEX emhttpd: Unregistered - flash device blacklisted (EBLACKLISTED2)

Any ideas on how to start resolving this?

Edited by DanielCoffey

Odd... Win10 did detect an issue with the USB stick but then found nothing to correct when I asked it to. Ejecting and reinserting the drive in Win10 and the issue did not reappear. The drive appears readable as normal.

I put the drive back into the unRAID box and there was no change - it still booted, spewed errors and reported it was blacklisted.

jonathanm has suggested I contact Tom as a duplicate GUID may have been registered since I originally purchased that USB drive. I do have good quality spares fortunately.

I have just transferred my entire UNRAID flash drive over to a new one in preparation for requesting a new key, ran make_bootable.bat and tried to bring unRAID up. I get the same thing... loads of error spam in the log and no GUID detected so the new flash drive is reported as blacklisted.

Next I will try the USB device on one of the rear panel sockets instead of hanging off a USB 3.0 cable inside the case (although 6.3.5 was perfectly happy booting off that).

I wonder if it is something to do with UEFI? The 6.3.5 version was booting off UEFI because I have a SAS card which takes ages to boot if Legacy is used. Maybe 6.4.0 is confused by this?

===

EDIT : moving the USB to the rear port instead of the internal cable made no difference.

Edited by DanielCoffey

Thanks but it looks like the UEFI issue was a red herring. I renamed EFI- to EFI, popped the original flash drive back in and rebooted. I could see the difference in the shell since the typeface appears differently between Legacy and UEFI. I still got the error spam.

I think, although I could see UEFI prefixing the flash drive in the BIOS, the presence of the EFI- folder shows I was booting in Legacy after all.

How much of the syslog can I post with its errors without giving any personal information away?

I have reverted to 6.3.5 by copying the contents of previous to root and rebooted. The configuration (apart from my two cache drives) was immediately picked up properly and the Plus license was correctly identified. I could start the server without errors once I had reassigned my cache drives.

I do however think there is file corruption on this drive since Win10 reports it but cannot identify what it is to fix it. When I copied the contents of the USB stick to another spare one, the file corruption went with it. I do have a clean USB stick and will do a clean install and migrate the license key.

I will mark this issue as Solved since it was not a blacklist problem.

2 minutes ago, Steven Harris said:

I am having the same issue.

Exact same issue?  The usual reason for blacklisted flash drive is the simple one -> it is blacklisted (IE: if you transfer the registration on your purchased .key file to a new flash drive, the original flash gets blacklisted on the next release of unRaid to prevent you from pirating the software and running it on multiple servers while only purchasing it once)

I have not found which file got corrupted on my machine but I decided to take a fresh USB stick, use the LimeTech unRAID USB Creator tool to make a new 6.4.0 install and request a Trial key. My original drive is back at 6.3.5 which has allowed me to make a note of my drive order so once Parity has rebuilt, I am free to perform the task of reinstalling all the plugins and dockers (bleargh).

• 3 months later...

Old topic, but it just bit me.

For me, the problem was gcc-4.8.2-x86_64-1.txz.auto_install, which was located in my /boot/packages directory.  A line in my go file was installing it, and it was the file preventing my machine from booting. I was able to verify this by just trying to install it manually after my system finally booted properly...

Verifying package gcc-4.8.2-x86_64-1.txz.
Installing package gcc-4.8.2-x86_64-1.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
# gcc (Base GCC package with C support)
#
# GCC is the GNU Compiler Collection.
#
# This package contains those parts of the compiler collection needed to
# compile C code.  Other packages add C++, Fortran, Objective-C, and
# Java support to the compiler core.
#
Executing install script for gcc-4.8.2-x86_64-1.txz.
Package gcc-4.8.2-x86_64-1.txz installed.

Verifying package glibc-2.17-x86_64-7.txz.
Installing package glibc-2.17-x86_64-7.txz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
# glibc (GNU C libraries)
#
# This package contains the GNU C libraries and header files.  The GNU
# C library was written originally by Roland McGrath, and is currently
# maintained by Ulrich Drepper.  Some parts of the library were
# contributed or worked on by other people.
#
# You'll need this package to compile programs.
#
Executing install script for glibc-2.17-x86_64-7.txz.
cp: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.25' not found (required by cp)
/sbin/ldconfig: Cannot lstat ld-2.17.so: No such file or directory
/bin/bash: line 56: /usr/bin/basename: No such file or directory
/bin/bash: line 56: /usr/bin/rm: No such file or directory
/bin/bash: line 57: /usr/bin/basename: No such file or directory
/bin/bash: line 57: /usr/bin/cp: No such file or directory
/bin/bash: line 58: /usr/bin/basename: No such file or directory
/bin/bash: line 59: /usr/bin/rm: No such file or directory

Yeah... as soon as I saw it I knew what was going on.  I think that the entire idea of having things auto-installed from my flash drive via auto_install and a line in my go file was probably something that I added 5 years ago or so.  It worked well for a very long time, and then was was long forgotten but survived the various upgrades along the way.

My point in sharing it here was just to help anyone else figure it out, as I found a few threads with similar problems.  The generallly accepted solution was to do a clean install to a new USB key -- neither of which is required with the above knowledge.

• 5 years later...

This seems uncommon and old, so I thought I'd add that I've just run into this error on 6.12.1 and am attempting to resolve it with step by step escalations so I can try to pin down what's going on.  I am using a SwissBit 8GB PSLC industrial high endurance drive (SFU3008GC2AE1TO-I-GE-1AP-STD).

After a reboot (nothing forced), I'm now bootlooping - but pressing enter is required each time or it stays stuck.  I will pursue the plugin route.

I will update this post as well as later crosspost to 6.12.1 if relevant.

I was at: device descriptor read/64, error -110
I resolved with: Delete Nerd Tools Plugin.
FINAL EDIT: Deleted nerd tools plugin and directory.  Booted fine.

Edited by ixit
Final update and resolution.