Docker Service failed to start.

Melocco

Ok..   I know this has nothing to do with it..  But since I paid for unraid, I've had it lock up and a few other things.  Anyway, Here  is what's going on now. 

I had unraid ether crash or lockup or something about 15 minutes after putting in the paid key. It stopped responding on the computer I was using. I then went to the main computer with a monitor and keyboard. I already had the gui running since I'm still making sure everything is transferring and everything like it should. On the screen (computer running unraid) it was still on username for login. I couldn't do anything. I waited a few minutes and tried again. Still nothing..  So I unplugged it. Yes I made sure no activity lights was going.

Once I started it up, everything was good except that the dockers wasn't there..  I went to restart the server again (using the restart button) and it starts then goes to a black screen and is still running..  Monitor cuts off, but fans etc still going.. 

I waited again, then unplugged it again..  I started it back up and it was running fine. All the dockers etc was running like it should have been. Then it stopped responding again..  

Now, it still doesn't shut down, and the dockers are gone (with the error Docker Service failed to start. ) So now I'm stuck with just a broken OS..   Any Ideas on what I can do to repair this?  As I said in the beginning, it all started right after I put the paid key in. Before that It was running smoothly..  

Also, I'm running 6.4.0 

Unraid error.png

It starts up some times and sometimes not..  It started up when I unplugged it and forced it to restart.  I tried to get a new dio. while it won't start but after 10 minutes of waiting, it never downloaded.. The dockers are also acting funny.. Krusader says it's running, but I have issues logging in. It sometimes starts to the main login screen, sometimes it doesn't start up at all, (see picture below). Plex does the same thing..  Sometimes it starts up, sometimes not.. It streams slow and transfers are very slow..  After thinking about it, I did upgrade the os a day before putting the key in..  Could I go back to 6.3.5? I backed up the flash card (wasn't sure the best way, so I just copied the flash card to a folder on my workstation). I don't know if that is the issue or not..  But I didn't have half the issues I'm having now...   Any Ideas?

unraid error.png

Docker images shows write errors, these could be hardware related your not enough space on the device where the docker is:

Jan 15 21:35:22 WHS kernel: BTRFS info (device loop2): bdev /dev/loop2 errs: wr 675, rd 0, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0

It's also advisable to uninstall both the preclear and the S3 sleep plugin as they have known issues with v6.4

ok...  So what do I need to do? Do a parity check? All the drives show good and as far as preclear, if I take it out, how can I test the drive to see if there are any issues with it? I had heard that preclear kinda tests the drive by reading and writing multiple times..  Kinda a burn in..   Show I test the drive in windows instead?  Thanks for your help..  I really appreciate it.. 

10 minutes ago, Melocco said:

ok...  So what do I need to do?

2 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

It's also advisable to uninstall both the preclear and the S3 sleep plugin as they have known issues with v6.4

Also, check that the docker image is in a device with available space, and best to delete and recreate it to avoid any issues.

6 minutes ago, RichardU said:

Yikes. Just updated to 6.4. No VMs or Dockers. I fixed the VM problem by editing it and specifying the location. For dockers, I deleted docker.img removed preclear and rebooted. Still get: "Docker service failed to start."

Here's my diagnostics. Any help would be appreciated.

Richard

ubernet-diagnostics-20180116-1535.zip

I don't see any attempt on the log to start the docker service, since the image is currently on an UD device, can you test after creating a new image on your cache device?

Looks like the docker.img is corrupted.  Easiest to delete it and recreate it then re-add your apps via the apps tab, previous apps.

Other problems.  Disk 1 has a ton of read errors   Personally, I'd replace it with 32 reallocated sectors, and 8 more waiting currently to be reallocated.

I've replaced my cache drive and I'm still having issues. The kernel error is still happening. I am just having to unplug mine every day or so.

I'm just going to wait until the next update. I didn't have any issues until updating and putting in the full key.. 

I'm sure it's something crazy on my end, but I don't know what else to do.. 

On 1/19/2018 at 12:31 PM, Squid said:

Looks like the docker.img is corrupted.  Easiest to delete it and recreate it then re-add your apps via the apps tab, previous apps.

Other problems.  Disk 1 has a ton of read errors   Personally, I'd replace it with 32 reallocated sectors, and 8 more waiting currently to be reallocated.

Thank you, that helped fix some of the issues (delete docker.img) and rebuild.

The only issue I'm having is my letsencrypt image is not working anymore. Does this have something to do with the new reverse proxy setup?

Here's my log for when attempting to start the letsencrypt container. 

Jan 22 12:37:22 Unraid kernel: docker0: port 6(veth91dec58) entered blocking state
Jan 22 12:37:22 Unraid kernel: docker0: port 6(veth91dec58) entered disabled state
Jan 22 12:37:22 Unraid kernel: device veth91dec58 entered promiscuous mode
Jan 22 12:37:22 Unraid kernel: IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): veth91dec58: link is not ready
Jan 22 12:37:22 Unraid kernel: docker0: port 6(veth91dec58) entered blocking state
Jan 22 12:37:22 Unraid kernel: docker0: port 6(veth91dec58) entered forwarding state
Jan 22 12:37:22 Unraid kernel: docker0: port 6(veth91dec58) entered disabled state
Jan 22 12:37:22 Unraid kernel: device veth91dec58 left promiscuous mode
Jan 22 12:37:29 Unraid kernel: kvm: disabled by bios

• 1 month later...

aliens-diagnostics-20180321-1553.zipaliens-diagnostics-20180321-1553.zipaliens-diagnostics-20180321-1553.zipI had some random issues with docker last night, where it would not start any container , today I upgraded to 6.5 and I have same message as all of you "Docker Service Fail to Start"

My Disk all look good 

Here is diagnostic file 

Any help appreciated 

aliens-diagnostics-20180321-1553.zip

syslog.txt

Edited by cableshark

Ok

My issue got resolved,   by increasing Docker Virtual disk image size from 20 to 30GB

Settings "Docker" ---   

"Enable Docker :  click no,

and Apply settings.

Then you will see docker "image size " by increasing docker image size from 20 to 30GB,  screen shot attached where you increase size 

5ab2c080d5978_ScreenShot2018-03-21at4_28_19PM.thumb.png.115f6da2074d02b49ec04050fb31d119.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 4.22.38 PM.png

Edited by cableshark
1 hour ago, cableshark said:

My issue got resolved,   by increasing Docker Virtual disk image size from 20 to 30GB

This is probably only temporary until it fills up again. 20GB would likely be plenty if you had things setup correctly.

You need to figure out why it is filling up. See "Docker Image Filling Up" in the Docker FAQ:

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/57181-real-docker-faq/