FATAL: Module bonding not found

Snort

On 2/5/2018 at 3:28 AM, limetech said:

Huh, actually if your usb flash device is not mounting this won't work.

Instead please capture output of these commands:

ls -v /dev/disk/by-label
cat /proc/partitions

If you are using something like putty, this will produce alot of output but would be most valuable:

cat /var/log/syslog

@IGHOR ^^

Edited by CHBMB
Origianl quote I think the command was wrong....
1 hour ago, CHBMB said:

@IGHOR ^^

I have just erased microSD and downloaded latest unRAID again. It now works just fine.

If it you released one more build looks like it fixes problem.

If you didn't, than I changed only internal disk from SSD to HDD, but can't test again since SSD died.

Thank you for your time!

Edited by IGHOR
1 hour ago, IGHOR said:

I have just erased microSD and downloaded latest unRAID again. It now works just fine.

If it you released one more build looks like it fixes problem.

If you didn't, than I changed only internal disk from SSD to HDD, but can't test again since SSD died.

Thank you for your time!

Are you saying it works now?  via USB3.0 Flash device?

Also motherboard/bios is important.

Here's what's different in 6.4+ releases and why it might say module 'bonding' not available.  In order to reduce the RAM footprint of the OS, we put all of the loadable modules (mainly drivers) used by the kernel into a 'squashfs' file system image file (vdisk) named 'bzmodules'.  Early in system startup we loopback-mount this image file onto /lib/modules and this is where kernel looks for loadable modules it might need depending on h/w config.  If the USB boot device does not get mounted, then the kernel cannot find loadable modules ('bonding' being one of them) and thus you see these kinds of errors.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, limetech said:

Are you saying it works now?  via USB3.0 Flash device? Also motherboard/bios is important.

Yes, USB 3.0 Flash drive works on USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports, it works fine, got trial key and testing it now. I made no changes to BIOS config.

I have disconnected SSD drive that it has bad blocks, so maybe unRAID failed to mount it and somehow it caused fails for normal booting.

If it true, than you need to inspect booting of unRAID with bad blocks SATA disks, it not good if some bad disk can stop all system to work.

4 minutes ago, IGHOR said:

Yes, USB 3.0 Flash drive works on USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports, it works fine, got trial key and testing it now. I made no changes to BIOS config.

I have disconnected SSD drive that it has bad blocks, so maybe unRAID failed to mount it and somehow it caused fails for normal booting.

If it true, than you need to inspect booting of unRAID with bad blocks SATA disks, it not good if some bad disk can stop all system to work.

If you boot from the USB, the state of a connected SSD won't stop the boot process.   

Just now, CHBMB said:

If you boot from the USB, the state of a connected SSD won't stop the boot process.   

I have expect this. But if you didn't release updates within last 2 days, I don't understand why it works now since I made only SSD replacement.

Anyway it is good news for me.

1 minute ago, IGHOR said:

I have expect this. But if you didn't release updates within last 2 days, I don't understand why it works now since I made only SSD replacement.

Anyway it is good news for me.

If unRAID failed to boot with a failed drive, they'd be no way to recover from a failed drive.

Just now, CHBMB said:

If unRAID failed to boot with a failed drive, they'd be no way to recover from a failed drive.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. If I find out why it didn't work 2 days ago and now working fine I'll reply this thread.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I had the same issue with "FATAL: Module bonding not found" and a strange IP address. Now it is solved. My story is below, I hope it will help someone. If you don't want to read everything, the solution for me was to erase the flash drive using Disk Utility (standard macOS application) using MS-DOS (FAT) format and then to recreate a boot flash drive using unRAID USB Creator and a zip file for the latest stable release downloaded from the lime-technology website.

I installed unRAID on a fresh SanDisk Fit 16 GB flashdrive to try it and compare with other solutions. To create a boot flash drive I used unRAID USB Creator for macOS. It worked very good without any problems. Then I wanted to try other solution (not unRAID) using the same flash. The boot flash was recreated for other operating system. Then I went back to unRAID and recreated the boot flash drive using unRAID USB Creator for macOS. Unfortunately, the error "FATAL: Module bonding not found" showed up and the IP was wrong, it wasn't usable. I tried different settings, other USB ports, recreating boot flash with unRAID USB Creator, nothing helped. After reading this thread I decided that the problem is flash drive and tried to format it first with Disk Utility using MS-DOS (FAT) format and then recreate using unRAID USB Creator. Also I downloaded the latest stable release from the website manually and provided zip file for the USB Creator. The new boot flash started to load successfully from the first time.

Edited by Vslow
  • 1 month later...
On 8/5/2018 at 8:37 AM, Vslow said:

Hi all,

I had the same issue with "FATAL: Module bonding not found" and a strange IP address. Now it is solved. My story is below, I hope it will help someone. If you don't want to read everything, the solution for me was to erase the flash drive using Disk Utility (standard macOS application) using MS-DOS (FAT) format and then to recreate a boot flash drive using unRAID USB Creator and a zip file for the latest stable release downloaded from the lime-technology website.

I installed unRAID on a fresh SanDisk Fit 16 GB flashdrive to try it and compare with other solutions. To create a boot flash drive I used unRAID USB Creator for macOS. It worked very good without any problems. Then I wanted to try other solution (not unRAID) using the same flash. The boot flash was recreated for other operating system. Then I went back to unRAID and recreated the boot flash drive using unRAID USB Creator for macOS. Unfortunately, the error "FATAL: Module bonding not found" showed up and the IP was wrong, it wasn't usable. I tried different settings, other USB ports, recreating boot flash with unRAID USB Creator, nothing helped. After reading this thread I decided that the problem is flash drive and tried to format it first with Disk Utility using MS-DOS (FAT) format and then recreate using unRAID USB Creator. Also I downloaded the latest stable release from the website manually and provided zip file for the USB Creator. The new boot flash started to load successfully from the first time.

I made an account just to vouch for this. I started with unraid and wanted to try freenas. Decided it wasn’t for me and wanted to come back to unraid and this fixed it for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

I also had this issue and the USB creator tool also gave me an error on various USB sticks.

How I fixed the error and Weird Ip Adress is this...

Downloaded a partition tool

---REFORMATTED the Usb stick to FAT32

---SET the PARTITION to PRIMARY

---SET the PARTITION to ACTIVE

Did the usual copying of files to the USB stick and ran the bat file to make bootable

Either the setting to Primary or setting to Active sorted the issue or both.

Issue fixed. Correct ip allocated and no error.

Hope it helps.

I just had this issue with a SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SDV-TLN4F-O and after playing with the the BIOS I got my USB 3.0 drive working by disabling any XHCI settings and the "USB 3.0 Support" setting in the southbridge options.

Funny thing though, this drive was working fine and boot w/ "USB 3.0 Support" on AUTO before. No changes were made, but due to an A/C outage in Texas I had to shut down the server running in 100 F ambient temp. Luckily I wasn't home at the time. A/C gets fix, time to boot back up aaaaaand it wouldn't boot, fails to see the flash drive. Unlucky me, I'm not going to be home for another month...If I was, I would have replaced the flash drive like I did last time this happened. Anyway, thank god for IPMI. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
47 minutes ago, tcm2Lions said:

I am new to Unraid and I am having a similar problem getting Unraid to boot for the first time.  I have tried different usb locations and different usb drives.  I have attached a screenshot of the terminal.  Please advise.

Annotation 2019-02-25 195727.jpg

That looks like its booting, but you're not getting an IP address

Login as root (no password), then enter in

diagnostics

And then post the zip file stored on the flashdrive (logs folder) here

If you login and issue the ‘df’ command does it show anything mounted as /boot.   If the boot process completed correctly this is where the flash drive should be mounted.  If it is not being successfully mounted then it could explain your symptoms.

If there is no /boot shown perhaps you can tell us more about how you prepared the flash drive; what make and model it is (USB2.0 drives seem to be more reliable); and whether you have it plugged into a USB2 or a USB3 port (again USB2 seems more reliable).

"Module bonding not found" always means the usb flash device is not prepared correctly or has other problems.  This is because we loopback-mount an image file, 'bzmodules', at /lib/modules very early in boot process.  This image contains all the Linux loadable modules, ie, drivers, and typically the network is first to startup and hence kernel needs to load the 'bonding' module.  If the image file is corrupted or not found, or wrong for the release, etc., you will see this message.

When I originally had this issue, I never did fix it on the system I built, even with all kinds of BIOS changes and multiple USB flash drives (and 2 RMAs on the motherboard).  I sold it all and started fresh, BUT I kept the USB flash drives. 

Fast forward a few months later, and the same drive that was failing on my original server was working perfectly in my new one.  It must have been the USB subsystem on the original motherboard, because the flash drive turned out to be fine in the end.

19 hours ago, limetech said:

"Module bonding not found" always means the usb flash device is not prepared correctly or has other problems.  This is because we loopback-mount an image file, 'bzmodules', at /lib/modules very early in boot process.  This image contains all the Linux loadable modules, ie, drivers, and typically the network is first to startup and hence kernel needs to load the 'bonding' module.  If the image file is corrupted or not found, or wrong for the release, etc., you will see this message.

Sorry to get back late but I'm on travel this week..  I used the USB creator on the website and I was using a usb recovered from a Freenas build.  I will try a new usb later today.

On 2/28/2019 at 9:15 AM, tcm2Lions said:

Sorry to get back late but I'm on travel this week..  I used the USB creator on the website and I was using a usb recovered from a Freenas build.  I will try a new usb later today.

Update:  I did not use a new usb but I did a full format and a manual usb creation using the usb that previously had errors and it worked.  Thanks for the help. 

• 9 months later...

In case anyone is curious.. Here's the log files on the flash drive I had issues with.

tower-diagnostics-20191221-1234.zip

Ygscd68.png

Looking through it here's what I've found: (not sure if these are normal)

syslog:

• No NUMA configuration found
  • Faking a node at [mem 0x0000000000000000-0x00000004867fffff]
  • Reserved but unavailable: 99 pages
  • ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKA] (IRQs 3 4 5 6 10 11 12 14 15) *0
  • DMAR: No ATSR found
  • lp: driver loaded but no devices found
  • random: udevd: uninitialized urandom read (16 bytes read)

Dec 21 12:33:25 Tower rc.inet1: modprobe bonding mode=1 miimon=100
Dec 21 12:33:25 Tower rc.inet1: ip link set bond0 up
Dec 21 12:33:25 Tower rc.inet1: ip link add name br0 type bridge stp_state 0 forward_delay 0
Dec 21 12:33:25 Tower rc.inet1: ip link set br0 up
Dec 21 12:33:25 Tower rc.inet1: polling up to 60 sec for DHCP server on interface br0
Dec 21 12:33:25 Tower rc.inet1: timeout 60 dhcpcd -w -q -t 10 -h Tower -4 br0
Dec 21 12:33:25 Tower haveged: haveged: ver: 1.9.8; arch: x86; vend: GenuineIntel; build: (gcc 9.2.0 ITV); collect: 128K
Dec 21 12:33:25 Tower haveged: haveged: cpu: (L4 VC); data: 32K (L4 V); inst: 32K (L4 V); idx: 25/40; sz: 32671/52623
Dec 21 12:33:25 Tower haveged: haveged: tot tests(BA8): A:1/1 B:1/1 continuous tests(B):  last entropy estimate 8.00146
Dec 21 12:33:25 Tower haveged: haveged: fills: 0, generated: 0 
Dec 21 12:33:25 Tower kernel: random: crng init done
Dec 21 12:33:25 Tower kernel: random: 7 urandom warning(s) missed due to ratelimiting
Dec 21 12:33:26 Tower dhcpcd[1806]: br0: soliciting a DHCP lease
Dec 21 12:33:26 Tower rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="8.1908.0" x-pid="1719" x-info="https://www.rsyslog.com"] start
Dec 21 12:33:31 Tower dhcpcd[1806]: br0: probing for an IPv4LL address
Dec 21 12:33:35 Tower kernel: usb 1-11: new high-speed USB device number 7 using xhci_hcd
Dec 21 12:33:36 Tower kernel: usb-storage 1-11:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
Dec 21 12:33:36 Tower kernel: scsi host1: usb-storage 1-11:1.0
Dec 21 12:33:36 Tower dhcpcd[1806]: br0: using IPv4LL address 169.254.94.174
Dec 21 12:33:36 Tower dhcpcd[1806]: br0: adding route to 169.254.0.0/16
Dec 21 12:33:36 Tower dhcpcd[1806]: br0: adding default route
Dec 21 12:33:36 Tower dhcpcd[1806]: forked to background, child pid 1849
Dec 21 12:33:36 Tower rc.inet1: ip link set br0 up
Dec 21 12:33:36 Tower rpcbind[1879]: connect from 127.0.0.1 to getport/addr(status)
Dec 21 12:33:36 Tower rpc.statd[1880]: Version 2.1.1 starting
Dec 21 12:33:36 Tower sm-notify[1881]: Version 2.1.1 starting
Dec 21 12:33:36 Tower rpc.statd[1880]: Failed to read /var/lib/nfs/state: Success
Dec 21 12:33:36 Tower rpc.statd[1880]: Initializing NSM state
Dec 21 12:33:36 Tower sshd[1898]: Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22.
Dec 21 12:33:36 Tower sshd[1898]: Server listening on :: port 22.
Dec 21 12:33:36 Tower crond[1924]: /usr/sbin/crond 4.5 dillon's cron daemon, started with loglevel notice
Dec 21 12:33:36 Tower acpid: starting up with netlink and the input layer
Dec 21 12:33:36 Tower acpid: 1 rule loaded
Dec 21 12:33:36 Tower acpid: waiting for events: event logging is off
Dec 21 12:33:37 Tower kernel: scsi 1:0:0:0: Direct-Access     SanDisk  Cruzer Fit       1.26 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
Dec 21 12:33:37 Tower kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0
Dec 21 12:33:37 Tower kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] 15633408 512-byte logical blocks: (8.00 GB/7.45 GiB)
Dec 21 12:33:37 Tower kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
Dec 21 12:33:37 Tower kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 43 00 00 00
Dec 21 12:33:37 Tower kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
Dec 21 12:33:37 Tower kernel: sdb: sdb1
Dec 21 12:33:37 Tower kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI disk
Dec 21 12:34:01 Tower login[2004]: ROOT LOGIN  on '/dev/tty1'

vars: 

network
(
    [e..0] => Array
        (
            [DHCP_KEEPRESOLV] => no
            [DHCP6_KEEPRESOLV] => no
            [BONDING] => yes
            [BONDNAME] =>