FATAL: Module bonding not found

Snort

30 minutes ago, limetech said:

unRAID doesn't use rc.httpd, and no way USB drivers are missing.  Not sure wtf is going on.  Please update to 6.4.1-rc1.

Also make sure you're using latest version of USB Creator tool, though that doesn't explain anything.

Using the latest USB Creator tool, 6.4.1-rc1.  Same problem.  Error message that /dev/disk/by-label/UNRAID does not exist, then errors about how special device /boot/bzmodules does not exist, and /boot/bzfirmware does not exist.

FYI the volume definitely shows up in windows as "UNRAID" in windows explorer.

(Also tried running the USB Creator tool as administrator - no difference).

Edited by Kamikazejs

So I just created a brand new out of the package flash drive using the 6.4.1RC1, I am using a trial copy, do I need a trial license to get into the GUI, how do I get one?

After using the Limetech app to create the flash drive, do I still have to double click on make bootable ? It seems not because it boots anyway.

I am still getting the messages that the key is not named UNRAID and also still getting the Cannot find device "bond0" so no network.

Another error is: FATAL: Module bonding not found in diretory /lib/modules/4.14.15-unRAID

Edited by ashman70

Ok, I've tried a few USB drives.  Most of them wouldn't work at all.  I was using a brand new 16GB USB2 Sandisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 off Amazon, which came highly recommended here, for FreeNAS, and other places.  

I just dug out a great big Samsung 16GB USB3 drive I've had for a while, used the USB creator tool on it with the latest 6.4.1-rc1 image and... IT WORKED, the first time.  It mounted ok, gave me ethernet drivers, and I can browse to http://tower from a desktop.

There appears to be a quirk with many of these USB drives.  I wish I had the last 5 hours of my life back now...

Edited by Kamikazejs

You don't need a Trial key or internet connection to get into the webGUI.

All these messages are due to USB flash device not getting recognized correctly by the linux kernel.  The root of this is some kind of nagging USB interoperability issue.   But we don't have any hardware that doesn't work correctly so it's hard for us to track down.

In next point release, we'll turn on a few more USB kernel options which shouldn't make a difference but won't hurt.

In meantime, there are things to try:

• If using a USB3 flash device, try plugging into a USB2 port.
  • Make sure bios says EHCI handoff enabled, XHCI handoff disabled.  If it already says that, experiment with different settings of those two options.
  • Try UEFI boot.  To do this you can check the box that says 'EFI boot' in the USB Creator, or you can simply rename the "EFI-" directory on the flash to "EFI" (ie, take off the trailing dash).
10 minutes ago, limetech said:

You don't need a Trial key or internet connection to get into the webGUI.

All these messages are due to USB flash device not getting recognized correctly by the linux kernel.  The root of this is some kind of nagging USB interoperability issue.   But we don't have any hardware that doesn't work correctly so it's hard for us to track down.

In next point release, we'll turn on a few more USB kernel options which shouldn't make a difference but won't hurt.

In meantime, there are things to try:

• If using a USB3 flash device, try plugging into a USB2 port.
  • Make sure bios says EHCI handoff enabled, XHCI handoff disabled.  If it already says that, experiment with different settings of those two options.
  • Try UEFI boot.  To do this you can check the box that says 'EFI boot' in the USB Creator, or you can simply rename the "EFI-" directory on the flash to "EFI" (ie, take off the trailing dash).

Send me an address and I'll have one of those Sandisk Cruzer Fit's that I linked to shipped to you.  kamikazejs AT gmail dot com.  I'd much rather use that for a server boot drive.

3 minutes ago, Kamikazejs said:

Send me an address and I'll have one of those Sandisk Cruzer Fit's that I linked to shipped to you.  kamikazejs AT gmail dot com.  I'd much rather use that for a server boot drive.

It's not the flash device, it's the motherboard/bios,  or maybe something we're doing wrong in kernel config.

2 hours ago, Kamikazejs said:

Unable to get diagnostics off.  I can save them to /boot/logs but that's not preserved on the USB drive.

This suggests the USB drive is not mounted (as it should be) at /boot.      You can check this by using the ‘df’ command from a console/ssh session to see what (if anything) is mounted as /boot)

3 minutes ago, itimpi said:

This suggests the USB drive is not mounted (as it should be) at /boot.      You can check this by using the ‘df’ command from a console/ssh session to see what (if anything) is mounted as /boot)

Indeed, this was the case.  Using the Samsung USB drive I linked to, I'm able to see /dev/sda1 mounted as /boot and everything comes up fine now.

I just got it working. I noticed something interesting, I had my keyboard plugged into a USB 3 port, and I moved it to a USB 2 port, on the next boot I had no keyboard. I switched it back to the USB 3 port and put my flash drive in the adjacent port, it booted and worked, I now have an IP. Odd because I know I tried USB 3 ports but this is with a different brand new flash drive I had only just opened and tried a few times, I think this is the first USB 3 port I have tried it on.

Just now, ashman70 said:

One minor detail, now that I am booted and working, both the onboard gigabit network adapter and an Intel Pro gigabit network card I have put in are both showing 100MB, instead of gigabit, what's up with that? They are connected to a gigabit switch via CAT5e cable, I know the cable is good.

I'd try forcing it to 1000Mbit and see if it works.

11 minutes ago, ashman70 said:

I just want to thank everyone for their help on this, glad I could get it working, I'll be buying another license for this box.

Same here!

13 minutes ago, ashman70 said:

I just got it working. I noticed something interesting, I had my keyboard plugged into a USB 3 port, and I moved it to a USB 2 port, on the next boot I had no keyboard. I switched it back to the USB 3 port and put my flash drive in the adjacent port, it booted and worked, I now have an IP. Odd because I know I tried USB 3 ports but this is with a different brand new flash drive I had only just opened and tried a few times, I think this is the first USB 3 port I have tried it on.

Interesting.  My old motherboard doesn't have any USB3 ports on it.  Interesting that we were both having problems on b rand new flash drives though - what were you using?

1 hour ago, ashman70 said:

Where do you force it to 1000MB? I checked under networking and couldn't see an option for that.

Hmmm, sorry, I may have been thinking about on my switch.  I'm using a cheap 16-port Zyxel managed Gb switch that I can setup LAGs, LACP, vlans, etc., on.  Although you can force the mode to Gigabit in linux, I don't see an option in the unraid gui at the moment.

Sorry, I would have responded sooner but my Perc H310 HBA suddenly went bellyup and I spent a panicked hour tracking that problem down.  I ended up having to move it to a different slot AND pull out my old ASMedia PCI (not PCIE) 4-port SATA card.  I thought for sure that my crossflashing it to the LSI SAS2008 firmware had broken it.

Using 6.4 and that error showed up when i tried to pass through a USB controller on my system yesterday. I used the UnRaid GUI on the host to remove the "vfio-pci.ids" settings for my USB controller from the syslinux configuration and afterwards it worked again. However, I only started with UnRaid and maybe also configured something wrong :)

My entry in the syslinux was :

append pcie_acs_override=downstream vfio-pci.ids=1022:145c initrd=/bzroot

And this is the IOMMU group of the USB controller I want to pass through:

44:00.0 Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device [1022:145a]
44:00.2 Encryption controller [1080]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Platform Security Processor [1022:1456]

[RESET] 44:00.3 USB controller [0c03]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) USB 3.0 Host Controller [1022:145c]

Those lines show up on every USB controller (using Threadripper and ASUS ROG Zenith)

44:00.0 Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device [1022:145a]
44:00.2 Encryption controller [1080]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) Platform Security Processor [1022:1456]

Edited by Symon
4 hours ago, bonienl said:

You can not passthrough a USB controller to which your unRAID flash device is connected.

Shouldn't be the case as the USB stick showed up in a different IOMMU group (I did check this with an SSH connection and the following command)

for usb_ctrl in $(find /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb* -maxdepth 0 -type l); do pci_path="$(dirname "$(realpath "${usb_ctrl}")")"; echo "Bus $(cat "${usb_ctrl}/busnum") --> $(basename $pci_path) (IOMMU group $(basename $(realpath $pci_path/iommu_group)))"; lsusb -s "$(cat "${usb_ctrl}/busnum"):"; echo; done

1 minute ago, Symon said:

Shouldn't be the case as the USB stick showed up in a different IOMMU group (I did check this with an SSH connection and the following command)

for usb_ctrl in $(find /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb* -maxdepth 0 -type l); do pci_path="$(dirname "$(realpath "${usb_ctrl}")")"; echo "Bus $(cat "${usb_ctrl}/busnum") --> $(basename $pci_path) (IOMMU group $(basename $(realpath $pci_path/iommu_group)))"; lsusb -s "$(cat "${usb_ctrl}/busnum"):"; echo; done

Warning: onboard USB is squirrely and controllers lie about isolation, that is, mostly it doesn't work (that's my experience).

image.png