Install problem Unraid 6.4

tcarlsson90

Hello! Im having some issues when trying to install UNRaid on my server. I downloaded the file from LimeTech and installed it on 3 different USB devices. Plugged it in to my computer and booted in to the USB drive. Started up the server. But its not possible to find it on the network. Tried restarting and different USB memory but no luck.

- When prompted with the login username and password the ip says 168.192.24.5 <- something in that style.

- cannot find device bond0

I don't really know what to do or what im doing wrong. Tried searching to find the answer but no luck. Anyone got an idea on what the problem could be?

Side question: Is it worth using UNRaid when only having a setup of:

- 1 SSD 128 GB

- 1 6 TB WD

- 1 TB Seagate

Thanks in Advance

26941217_10159771935820277_257203575_n.jpg

The 169.254.98.244 is a self assigned address and is standard no matter the OS when you've set the operating system to get an IP address via DHCP (from like your router) but the OS is not assigned an IP address. If you know how try setting a static IP address. My networks is setup to give 192.168.1.x addresses so I would set mine to something like 192.168.1.5. Also, when typing ip addr you don't need to type show. Just "ip addr" and it will show you. ifconfig also works like you used.

As for is it worth it? Do you have room for expansion? If you wanted it to be parity safe you would use the 6TB for parity and the 1TB for data and I personally would use the SSD as a cache drive. So, you'd only have 1TB of usable space but if you have room to expand I'd get another drive or 2 as soon as I could.

You do have an ethernet cable plugged in, right?

22 minutes ago, pinion said:

The 169.254.98.244 is a self assigned address and is standard no matter the OS when you've set the operating system to get an IP address via DHCP (from like your router) but the OS is not assigned an IP address. If you know how try setting a static IP address. My networks is setup to give 192.168.1.x addresses so I would set mine to something like 192.168.1.5. Also, when typing ip addr you don't need to type show. Just "ip addr" and it will show you. ifconfig also works like you used.

As for is it worth it? Do you have room for expansion? If you wanted it to be parity safe you would use the 6TB for parity and the 1TB for data and I personally would use the SSD as a cache drive. So, you'd only have 1TB of usable space but if you have room to expand I'd get another drive or 2 as soon as I could.

You do have an ethernet cable plugged in, right?

Yes im using an ethernet cable. Okey, I will try setting up an static IP and see if that changes anything. Should I also set it to the config file in the usb flash drive? As for drives, I was thinking I would use the 6TB to store all my Media, and have the 1 TB as taking "small backups" of the 6TB or only backup up important stuff from the 6 TB and the SSD was thinking like u said a cache drive. 

19 minutes ago, leon said:

tcarl are you running a EP2C602-4L/D16 board? I am and have a similar issue and there is another thread about FATAL : Bonding .. that I also commented on

My setup im Running is - Intel i5 4670 and ASUS H81M motherboard & 16 GB of Corsair Vengence DDR3 Ram

2 minutes ago, tcarlsson90 said:

Yeah I know, but im going to invest in some drivers soon. Im quessing is no problem just adding drivers ones I get the UNraid running?

The process is pretty easy, yes. The wiki does a far better job of explaining it than I could here. Just read up on it :)

On 1/16/2018 at 1:50 AM, tcarlsson90 said:

UPDATE: Could not for the life of me get it to work. So I tried UNRAID 6.3 instead of UNRAID 6.4 And it worked like a charm found the internet connection and got an IP from DHCP.

Have no idea why this is but, maybe incompatible with UNRAID 6.4?

Skickat från min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

You could set the IP as static with 6.3 and then attempt to update to 6.4 and see if anything changes. 

I just highly recommend always using Static of DHCP becuase you can always find your machine by using http://your.ip.here verses http://tower if something goes wrong. 

For example sometimes I use http://tower and it works, but http://192.168.7.127 always works. 

Also like pointed out above. You can store your data like you are suggesting, but without parity "another" drive you will not have any protection if your 6TB drive fails. 

Archived