Just rolled back to 6.3.5 from 6.4.0

Been running unraid for 10 years. 

Upgraded to 6.4.0 from 6.3.5 - What a shit show. 

The UI was incredibly slow, taking 20-30 seconds to load each page. After running for about a day, the UI was mostly broken. I have one VM running and that was non-responsive. I was able to force stop it, at which point it indeed powered down, as well as disappeared from the UI - The VMs tab showed no VMs. Tried to stop the array gracefully and couldn't get services to stop. Tried stopping dockerd in the CLI but that was going nowhere fast. 

Bailed out and went back to 6.3.5 - stable. 

5 minutes ago, AaronJAnderson said:

Been running unraid for 10 years. 

Upgraded to 6.4.0 from 6.3.5 - What a shit show. 

The UI was incredibly slow, taking 20-30 seconds to load each page. After running for about a day, the UI was mostly broken. I have one VM running and that was non-responsive. I was able to force stop it, at which point it indeed powered down, as well as disappeared from the UI - The VMs tab showed no VMs. Tried to stop the array gracefully and couldn't get services to stop. Tried stopping dockerd in the CLI but that was going nowhere fast. 

Bailed out and went back to 6.3.5 - stable.

Agree with ashman70. Surely after 10 years you'd know to do that. ;)

This is not a common problem, so points to something unique about your configuration. I understand you are annoyed, but you need to be trying to help us help you if you want a solution. Otherwise you'll get stuck with 6.3.5.

10 minutes ago, AaronJAnderson said:

Happy to help. I wasn't after a fix right now, happy on 6.3.5 while I upgrade some drives. 

What data can I give you from 6.3.5 that is helpful? 

People having these out of the ordinary issues should try a clean install of unRAID 6.4 as suggested by johnnie.black.

You can keep your super.dat and *.key files to have the disk assignments and license as before.

2 minutes ago, bonienl said:

You would be surprized how little you need to do when starting clean.

Start with posting your diagnostics, it will give more inside in what you have currently running and installed.

Posted. It's the 4-5 dockers I have running. I know it's not a huge deal. Any issue importing my VM's? 

8 minutes ago, AaronJAnderson said:

I see that as a nuclear approach. Is there any way to troubleshoot instead of wipe and restart? 

Another approach would be setting all dockers and VMs to not autostart, set array to not autostart, upgrade to 6.4, boot in SAFE mode. That should get you pretty close to starting from a clean install.

In addition to the proposal of trurl a couple of things you can do before upgrading

1. Your flash device have (had) some corruption. Use a windows machine to do a repair to make sure it is clean

2. The Preclear plugin is known to cause issues. Uninstall it

3. Several packages are loaded from the /extra folder. Temporary rename this folder

4. Temporary comment out the file copying in your go file

Edited by bonienl

The /extra folder shouldn't be used. Not sure it will be supported in future. Pretty sure one of your plugins is loading ncurses anyway, and those other packages are maintained in NerdPack and that would be a better approach going forward.

And instead of doing things in go, the preferred method is to use the User Scripts plugin for running scripts on startup. That would also be a way to get packages loaded if really necessary instead of putting them in /extra.

***And make sure all your plugins are up-to-date.

2 hours ago, bonienl said:

In addition to the proposal of trurl a couple of things you can do before upgrading

1. Your flash device have (had) some corruption. Use a windows machine to do a repair to make sure it is clean

2. The Preclear plugin is known to cause issues. Uninstall it

3. Several packages are loaded from the /extra folder. Temporary rename this folder

4. Temporary comment out the file copying in your go file

Will work on it. I need to replace the USB key entirely. That thing is 10 years old. Getting long in the tooth.