VMware server on stock unRAID?

queeg

It was possible before and it's possible now but not without a lot of work. In addition to compiling a new kernel with the needed KVM items patched in, you must also update your bzroot and initrd image(s) to include all the changes.

It was possible before and it's possible now but not without a lot of work. In addition to compiling a new kernel with the needed KVM items patched in, you must also update your bzroot and initrd image(s) to include all the changes.

The title of this thread includes the words "on stock unRAID"

I was wrong.    VMWare could be installed on a stock unRAID server...  See my subsequent post in this thread...

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=6939.msg67392#msg67392

I was right, see this post: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=862.msg18869#msg18869

The better answer is NO, it cannot be done without  a full development system and/or affiliated toolscompiling your own kernel.

(and that makes it impossible on a STOCK unRAID system.)  

It is possible if you do compile a new kernel, but you'll need access to a development system to perform that task.[/s]

Joe L.

What modules need to be compiled in to support VMware. Seems like we have allot of questions/requests for it.  Perhaps we can lobby for these drivers/modules to be compiled. Albeit with no support expected from limetech.

I think one of them was SysV IPC.  I've not done it myself, so I cannot actually comment unless I set up a development server.

What modules need to be compiled in to support VMware. Seems like we have allot of questions/requests for it.  Perhaps we can lobby for these drivers/modules to be compiled. Albeit with no support expected from limetech.

I think one of them was SysV IPC.  I've not done it myself, so I cannot actually comment unless I set up a development server.

I think it's in there now.

#
# General setup
#
CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
CONFIG_LOCK_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_INIT_ENV_ARG_LIMIT=32
CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="-unRAID"
# CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO is not set
CONFIG_HAVE_KERNEL_GZIP=y
CONFIG_HAVE_KERNEL_BZIP2=y
CONFIG_HAVE_KERNEL_LZMA=y
CONFIG_KERNEL_GZIP=y
# CONFIG_KERNEL_BZIP2 is not set
# CONFIG_KERNEL_LZMA is not set
CONFIG_SWAP=y
CONFIG_SYSVIPC=y
CONFIG_SYSVIPC_SYSCTL=y
# CONFIG_POSIX_MQUEUE is not set
CONFIG_SHMEM=y

What modules need to be compiled in to support VMware. Seems like we have allot of questions/requests for it.  Perhaps we can lobby for these drivers/modules to be compiled. Albeit with no support expected from limetech.

I think one of them was SysV IPC.  I've not done it myself, so I cannot actually comment unless I set up a development server.

I was wrong.    VMWare could be installed on a stock unRAID server...

I was right... See this post: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=862.msg18869#msg18869

According to this post, VirtualBox required SysV IPC, not VMWare.  That is what I remembered, I just got the VM software versions mixed up in my mind...  but as noted, SYSV IPC is now available...

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5121.msg47446#msg47446

And, this post shows how VMWare could be installed on a stock unRAID distribution, and gives instructions:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=862.msg18630#msg18630

Looks like either VMWare or VirtualBox can be installed now.  

(I'll have to give them both a try, as I just assembled "Tower2," a C2SEE based dual core unrAID server with 4Gig of RAM.  ;D)

Joe L.

Looks like either VMWare or VirtualBox can be installed now.  

(I'll have to give them both a try, as I just assembled "Tower2," a C2SEE based dual core unRAID server with 4Gig of RAM.  ;D)

Joe L.

Any progress on this Joe?

Have not had the time to even try as of yet.  New machine is still being tested before replacing existing server. (Multiple parity checks, etc)  In fact, it is currently sitting on my kitchen table as I neaten up the cabling in it and adjust the fan speeds.

I got my unRAID test machine updated with the latest unRAID 4.5.6 and the latest unMenu and printed out the vmware install instructions.  Bogging down reading through that last part.  

Got a question:

If I connect a DVD drive to my unRAID machine (sata, ide or usb) can I expect it to create a device entry?  And can I expect that a VMware client should be able to see and use the DVD drive?

I'll just voice my support for this effort.  :)

I would really like to eliminate my second 24/7 PC as it is just performing relatively simple tasks Subsonic (which I still consider migrating to native unraid) and WeatherDisplay for weather logging and reporting.

Will all your attempts be partially wasted now we have a new version 5 coming, or is that not directly linked as the unRAID core is still essentially the same Linux (I suspect the latter)?

I'll just voice my support for this effort.  :)

Will all your attempts be partially wasted now we have a new version 5 coming, or is that not directly linked as the unRAID core is still essentially the same Linux (I suspect the latter)?

I hope that it's going to be possible to upgrade unRAID to 5.0 without reinstalling vmware (if I can even get it to work that is).

So far I've learned that the linux vmware install is patterned for System V, not BSD.  The instructions at the link that Joe gave me broke almost immediately.  But I found a page titled VMware on Slackware Linux that has some workarounds and says that after the clutsy install it should work.  But at the moment I'm stuck because it wants to know What is the location of the directory of C header files that match the unRAID kernal?

I really wish there was more of an effort to summarize 20 page forum threads into a single page or conclusive wrapup.  

Edit:  Aww, crap.  I have to start with unRAID development system first.  To do anything you have to do everything.  rant, rant, rant.

It looks like the VMware Server is open source software.  When musicman posted his methods for installing it back in 2008 he indicated that everyone would have to build their own install packages because he couldn't redistribute VMware Server.  I don't think this will be a problem now since it's open source.  

Any opinions anyone?  

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/datacenter_downloads/vmware_server/2_0#open_source

I'm still not clear on whether the reason VMware Server can't currently be installed on stock unRAID.

Is it:

A. something the VMware install requires missing from the stock unRAID (drivers or whatever) or

B. Some part of VMware Server itself has to be compiled into the kernal?

If it's A then can we get whatever it needs into the stock unRAID?

pretty sure you need to re-compile your kernel with added support for the vm-related functionality. haven't re-read the long VMWare thread recently.. probably not just a matter of "just" adding drivers to stock. that said, i'd applaud it if Tom were willing to add support to the stock kernel, but i know he's busy with more pressing matters.

question:

is it possible to build and test a VM-supporting kernel inside a slackware VM? i've already got a basic slack dev system for building other packages. i think i remember reading that it's not possible to run VMWare server inside a VM.

pretty sure you need to re-compile your kernel with added support for the vm-related functionality. haven't re-read the long VMWare thread recently.. probably not just a matter of "just" adding drivers to stock. that said, i'd applaud it if Tom were willing to add support to the stock kernel, but i know he's busy with more pressing matters.

okay, I'm completely wrong on that, having now done my research. If you visit the much longer VMware thread you'll see lots of people have the modules running on a stock unraid. It's VirtualBox that requires support for SysV added to the stock kernel.. VMware just needs the modules to be compiled against the same kernel sources, and can then be run on a stock system.

okay, I'm completely wrong on that, having now done my research. If you visit the much longer VMware thread you'll see lots of people have the modules running on a stock unraid. It's VirtualBox that requires support for SysV added to the stock kernel.. VMware just needs the modules to be compiled against the same kernel sources, and can then be run on a stock system.

Ok, what does this mean?  Does it just need the kernal sources (what are the sources)?  It doesn't really recompile the kernal itself?

VMware needs the kernel source to build its modules that will insert into a given kernel. Most people are compiling the kernel so that they can bring a Slack distribution to the same kernel (with unRaid's custom kernel modifications). From there, they can test the VMware build because they are running the same kernel as the stock unRaid on a separate system. VMware's installer will test that the kernel modules load properly as part of its configuration process, so one would want to be running on the same kernel as stock.