(Solved) Don't see my UPS via 'lsusb'

18 hours ago, michael123 said:

How can I be sure that the following model will work with unRaid?

APC Smart-UPS 1500VA SMT1500I

That depends on what you mean with will work with unRAID.

The Smart-UPS can communicate with unRaid allowing unRaid to know when it's good to turn off. The Smart in the name is because it got a smart interface to inform servers about the current state.

It will be the size of your machine that decides if 1500VA is enough, but 1500VA is normally enough for a very powerful server.

• Like 1

Hi

Sorry for the 'extra large' size, used my phone previously :)

I want UPS to report about its runtime, battery level, so that, say, if it is running more than 20 minutes on the batteries, it will initiate a graceful shutdown of the array

Better if it can run more than 20 minutes

Sometimes during the day we have constriction works in the area and there are days with extreme electricity interruptions

Regarding my current 'Back-UPS Pro' - I will check if the cable is to blame..

Given that it is get resolved

How different is Back-UPS Pro from Smart-UPS in this regard?

6 minutes ago, michael123 said:

Better if it can run more than 20 minutes

Sometimes during the day we have constriction works in the area and there are days with extreme electricity interruptions

Ideally you don't want to regularly run lead acid batteries below 50% or so, the less you discharge the longer the life. The time to recharge after an outage can be 10X or much more of the outage time, so you really don't want to drain them far at all in case you have more outages in a short period. The last thing you want is to boot the server back up only to get another outage that completely drains the batteries before you can get it safely shut down.

If you NEED 1/ 2 hour of power regularly, I'd spec a backup that will comfortably supply at LEAST 1 hour of power, preferably 2. Depending on load, that may be a very large unit, or one with stackable battery modules.

Personally, if the power is out for more than 5 minutes, it's going to be out for hours, so all my equipment starts the shutdown cycle at the 3-5 minute mark, depending on if it's a desktop or a server. The infrastructure (modem, pfsense pc, switches, wifi, etc) are all on low current long life backups,  so they stay up for more than an hour for phones, tablets and laptops.

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

in my case, I just replaced the cable few times (previous, were also working with other devices for some reasons)

this is what I have displayed now in the dashboard

POWER
UPS Load: 23.0 % - 165 Watts

UPS status:Online
Battery charge:100.0 Percent
Runtime left:21.2 Minutes
Nominal power:720 Watts

11 hours ago, michael123 said:

in my case, I just replaced the cable few times (previous, were also working with other devices for some reasons)

this is what I have displayed now in the dashboard

POWER
UPS Load: 23.0 % - 165 Watts

UPS status:Online
Battery charge:100.0 Percent
Runtime left:21.2 Minutes
Nominal power:720 Watts

Thanks for sharing!  Would you mind sharing the settings you have for the UPS and did you make any changes to the UPS settings or keep them at default?

Capture.PNG