Empty folders being generated when files changed

Phastor

I have a "Movies" share that is allocated to two disks using high-water. Structure for this share is as follows:

Movies

--Movie Title (Year)

----Movie Title (Year).mkv

Disk1 has reached half capacity, and so now unRAID is putting new files onto Disk2. I just recently did a bulk renaming of a bunch of movies with Radarr, most of which were on Disk1. I have noticed that since doing that, Disk2 now has an empty folder for every movie that I renamed. The files aren't there--those are where they should be within the folder on Disk1. However, for some bizarre reason, unRAID is creating folders for these files on Disk2 if they have been changed.

I'm guessing this will have no impact on functionality since it's not making duplicates of the actual files themselves? However, I really don't want this to happen for a specific reason. If "/Movies/Bladerunner/" exists on both disks, but "/Movies/Bladerunner/Bladerunner.mkv" exists on Disk1 and Disk1 fails, that means "/Movies/Bladerunner/" will remain on Disk2 and continue to show up in /User/Movies/" even though the file is now gone with the failure of Disk1. I will not be able to easily tell which movies I have lost. I do have parity, but I'm thinking of a worse case scenario where parity fails and backup recovery fails.

To clarify, all of the renaming and file editing is being done from the /user/Movies share. I'm just observing what is happening to the individual disks when I do so.

Is there a way I can prevent these redundant empty folders from being created like this? If not, is there a safe way I can bulk remove them from the individual disks?

On 1/18/2018 at 4:05 AM, Squid said:

Its more than likely Radarr causing the behaviour due to how it handles bulk renames.  (IE:  maybe its doing a copy of the movie or writing a temp file into the folder which means that it winds up on disk2 and then deleting it which will leave the folder on disk2)

I have split levels on that share to only split the top level directory, so it shouldn't be writing anything under a movie's subfolder outside of the disk it's already on, but reading this prompted me to take a deeper look into it and I think I see what's going on.  Radarr is also changing the name of the parent directory of each movie file to match the filename. Tell me if this is what could be happening:

I tell Radarr to rename a movie in /user/Movies/. The data for this movie is currently on Disk1.

Radarr first creates a new folder that corresponds with the new name instead of renaming the existing folder. Following allocation and split levels, unRAID sees this as a new second level folder and writes it to Disk2.

Radarr then renames the movie and moves it to the new folder under /user/Movies/. unRAID knows this file is already on Disk1, so instead of trying to move it over to Disk2, it creates the folder on Disk1 as well and moves it to there.

After the movie is moved, Radarr deletes the old folder in /user/Movies/, causing the old folder to be removed from Disk1 (this folder never existed on Disk2). Both instances of the new folder on each disk are seen as valid by unRAID, so the one on Disk2 remains as well as the one on Disk1 where the file is. It will always remain empty on Disk2 though since split levels within this share will keep everything within that folder to be written to Disk1.

Does this about sum it up?

If this is truly what's happening, I can expect to see this happen again in the future. Given the nature of what's happening (if this is it), I don't think I can do something within unRAID to prevent it. However, it's still an undesirable effect that could potentially make things confusing down the road for me, so I would like to address it.

It's a known cardinal sin to modify data on the individual disks manually, but would it hurt to recursively delete all empty folders in each individual disk? Is there possibly a plugin or some other form of tool that cleans up redundant empty folders on individual disks like this?

Edited by Phastor