Changing to new USB and prepping to buy

NeoMatrixJR

My trial ran out and I was forced to reboot.  Now it's time to buy.  I installed 6.3.5 on a different stick that's also registered for a trial (had been testing some stuffs on it).  Can I copy my stuff over from my main stick to the new stick and register it with all my "production" settings intact?  I copied over *most* of my config directory including disk config and it *looks* like almost everything set back up properly except none of my drives are listed in my array.  I don't want to just put them back in manually and fire it up for risk of losing data.  any way to get it to read my old config?

If you are willing to use your original flash drive as your permanent flash drive, you should be able to just go to     Main   >>>   Boot Drive   and click on  'Registration Key Manager' and select purchase key.

However, you want to use the new flash drive as your permanent flash drive, you could use this procedure: 

First on the server go to       Settings     >>>   Disk Settings    and change the 'Enable Auto Start'  to "No".    Stop the array.  Then copy the entire contents of this Flash drive (this is the one with the current working Trail License)  to a folder/directory on your PC.  I would call the folder      Working_Key

Now Copy the contents of your old Flash Drive (the one with the expired key)  to another folder on your PC. Let's call  this Folder      Desired_Flash

You should now have a complete complete copy of both of your flash drives safely  backed up on your PC.  This is a precaution against any possible mistakes...

Delete all of the files from the flash drive that has the good Trial License Key.    Then copy all of the files in that Desired_Flash backup folder to this drive and run the appropriate make_bootable batch file. Now copy the Trial License Key  file from the config folder of the  Working_Key  backup folder  on your PC to the config folder on this flash drive.  

Put this new flash drive in your server and boot it up.  You should be able to go  Main   >>>   Boot Drive   and click on  'Registration Key Manager' and select purchase key.

Thanks!  Got it bought.  Needed to change USB...did trial on 8gb drive that was just going to waste in there...moved to freebie 1gb that ironically has Microsoft's name/logo on it!  Everything looks like it's set right.  Have array up in maint. mode for now and running checks so I can't check dockers and such yet, but looks good so far!

27 minutes ago, NeoMatrixJR said:

Thanks!  Got it bought.  Needed to change USB...did trial on 8gb drive that was just going to waste in there...moved to freebie 1gb that ironically has Microsoft's name/logo on it!  Everything looks like it's set right.  Have array up in maint. mode for now and running checks so I can't check dockers and such yet, but looks good so far!

Sometimes those vendor USB sticks are not very good quality. I would have recommended more of a brand name with good feedback. But it might work fine. If you have problems and can't swap it, contact LimeTech directly and they may be able to help.

1G is probably fine, but I'd probably go with at least 2G when you update for room to grow. The USB stick is a convenient place from MB ROM files and other stuff, and having a bit more transfer room can come in handy. Remember that 2 full copies on the unRAID system files wind up on the stick (current and prior).

Enjoy your array!

12 hours ago, SSD said:

Sometimes those vendor USB sticks are not very good quality. I would have recommended more of a brand name with good feedback. But it might work fine. If you have problems and can't swap it, contact LimeTech directly and they may be able to help.

1G is probably fine, but I'd probably go with at least 2G when you update for room to grow. The USB stick is a convenient place from MB ROM files and other stuff, and having a bit more transfer room can come in handy. Remember that 2 full copies on the unRAID system files wind up on the stick (current and prior).

Enjoy your array!

Thanks for the input.  Since I swapped at purchase time I can still swap it at any point right now.  I figured if it does fail I'll get a hold of a good one.  MB ROM files?  I was mostly going by how little space my existing install was taking up, so if I need to consider more I'll have to re-evaluate.

5 hours ago, NeoMatrixJR said:

Thanks for the input.  Since I swapped at purchase time I can still swap it at any point right now.  I figured if it does fail I'll get a hold of a good one.  MB ROM files?  I was mostly going by how little space my existing install was taking up, so if I need to consider more I'll have to re-evaluate.

MB BIOS firmware update files.

Archived