No VM output to Geforce GT210

Gonozal

Good day community,

I once again have an issue that I can´t solve/google myself.

I am trying to run some Linux VMs. But no matter what I do, they won´t output to the installed Nvidia GT210, neither on VGA nor on HDMI. Weird enough, sometimes there is a slight hint of output, but it always disappears. I tried installing several distro´s, but so far, none of them would output to the GPU. I can install and run those VMs with remote desktop, but as soon as I switch to the graphics card the whole thing goes south.

Anything I yet missed again when dealing with VMs and installed hardware?

Thanks a lot.

I'm assuming this is GeForce 210 (G 210) not a GT 210 which I don't think exists.

In order to passthrough a video card, it has to support UEFI. This is an older card and I don't see that it has this support.

See here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/114395/msi-g210-1024-110622

That site is a good one for checking for a video card that can be passed through. Unfortunately, there are few low end in this category. I was looking for a cheap single width card and didn't have any luck. Let me know if you find one.

• Thanks 1

You are right, it´s a GeForce 210. Well, the missing UEFI support explains a lot of things.

I guess I´m going to find myself some old GTX model for a few bucks, one with a GTX760 should do the trick. Will check against the posted database.

Thanks a lot for the fast reply.

1 hour ago, Gonozal said:

You are right, it´s a GeForce 210. Well, the missing UEFI support explains a lot of things.

I guess I´m going to find myself some old GTX model for a few bucks, one with a GTX760 should do the trick. Will check against the posted database.

Thanks a lot for the fast reply.

My experience is that most cards on a chipset do or don't support UEFI. But occasionally you can find brands that do and others that don't depending on the video card brand.

The MSI version of the GTX760 (at least) does support UEFI:

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/162810/msi-gtx760-2048-140306

37 minutes ago, btrcp2000 said:

I have both a gt710 and geforce 210. They both appear in the windows vm device manager but show code 43.  Is this the same issue as the uefi?

Are you running one or two video cards? If more than one, you may need to create a VBIOS ROM for each and embed in the XML.

There is a video from SpaceInvader One on YouTube about passing through multiple Nvidia video cards that explains how to create or find the ROM files.

They are both installed in the server as I was swapping them in the VM to attempt to solve the code 43 issue. Right now I only have one VM, but once it is stable I will be adding another to be used as a daily workstation.  Goal is 2 VMs with one card each.  I followed that video and used downloaded files from techpowerup