old men need little help :=)

Hello guys i 53 years old and just started whit unraid. still have 2 nas synology and qnap but i LOVE how unraid scaling and working.. mine 1st installation was i not happy whit..after ours of reserch i realised configured wrong the shares and split on folders :=) so i gonna start agin and coud use same advice to not make it wrong again :=)

Mainly mine use for unraid is mine collection for bluray -dvd i gonna rip and make it digital finnaly..allready started but the dam others server went  full to fast instead buying bigger hdd went unraid salution whit a new ryzen build. And mine tv shows collection

mine concern is plex-emby libery ( realy want nice tumbnails.info mayby trailes ) and mayby layter 1-2 vms to runn and coule dockers..mayby same deluge download later

Got a new ssd 500gb  for plex -emby and cach files it is big for that purpese ?

the other im still trying mine hed arround the split concept on shares . spec how to split so i dont need to spinn upp to many disk when im waching movies-tv series

what you guys recomend ?

Make 2 folders 1 movies use split 2

Movies

4k moves

HD movies

TV shows use split 3

animé

sfi

osv

or just 1 media and use split 3 for that

Media

TV shows---

Movies --

Is this configuration god and going to work when replacing the 2tb drives to bigger ones?

Right now I have 6 tb for parity 1 6tb and 4 3tb and 2 tb in the raid

The other is what plex version to recommend I have plex lifetime plus for years now

Many thx for this great community and for this awesome server solution!!

1 hour ago, jetlimaster said:

Hello guys i 53 years old and just started whit unraid. still have 2 nas synology and qnap but i LOVE how unraid scaling and working.. mine 1st installation was i not happy whit..after ours of reserch i realised configured wrong the shares and split on folders :=) so i gonna start agin and coud use same advice to not make it wrong again :=)

Mainly mine use for unraid is mine collection for bluray -dvd i gonna rip and make it digital finnaly..allready started but the dam others server went  full to fast instead buying bigger hdd went unraid salution whit a new ryzen build. And mine tv shows collection

Welcome. Have to say I consider myself one of the poorer typists on the forum (mostly because I often quickly Swype on my phone). But you are making me look extremely good!

mine concern is plex-emby libery ( realy want nice tumbnails.info mayby trailes ) and mayby layter 1-2 vms to runn and coule dockers..mayby same deluge download later

Got a new ssd 500gb  for plex -emby and cach files it is big for that purpese ?

500G should be fine. Would recommend that your media folders be configured to NOT use cache. This will reduce the writes to the cache (extending its lifetime) and reduce the bulk of data this can create on your cache.

That size is more than plenty for plex and your dockers. You probably don't want your "seed files" living on the cache. Might consider including a UD in the server.

the other im still trying mine hed arround the split concept on shares . spec how to split so i dont need to spinn upp to many disk when im waching movies-tv series

what you guys recomend ?

Make 2 folders 1 movies use split 2

Movies

4k moves

HD movies

TV shows use split 3

animé

sfi

osv

or just 1 media and use split 3 for that

Media

TV shows---

Movies --

Is this configuration god and going to work when replacing the 2tb drives to bigger ones?

Click the "help" button in the UI while on the user share configuration screen and you'll get a good explanation and help you make these decisions.

Right now I have 6 tb for parity 1 6tb and 4 3tb and 2 tb in the raid

The other is what plex version to recommend I have plex lifetime plus for years now

Many thx for this great community and for this awesome server solution!!

Go with the LinuxServer version of Plex would be my recommendation.

Many thx for the help the problem i tryed to read and undurstud the split folder funtion , readign on the froum so many people saying diffrent things so mine old brain just died..

What i ment what lvl is best for  not spinning upp the disk to much and basickly keep the whole movie folder (not the whole collection ofc  )and episodes on same disk.and make it easy for plex-emby.

i i get it right lvl 2 split shoud work fine ?

Edited by jetlimaster