Problems with Ryzen CPU

Hey guys! I keep getting a Machine check event in my log.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the problem this causes. My computer will either freeze up or restart when idle. This only happens when idle. 

Jan 15 10:42:51 Colossus kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
Jan 15 10:42:51 Colossus kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 7: Machine Check: 0 Bank 5: bea0000000000108
Jan 15 10:42:51 Colossus kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC 0 ADDR 1ffff8107593a MISC d012000101000000 SYND 4d000000 IPID 500b000000000 
Jan 15 10:42:51 Colossus kernel:  #8
Jan 15 10:42:51 Colossus kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 2:800f11 TIME 1516030954 SOCKET 0 APIC 7 microcode 8001129

From googling it seems to be related to my Ryzen CPU (AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor) but can't figure out what to do about it. I'm on unRAID 6.4.0_rc21b and google said to try disabling the OpCache (not sure what that does but I tried it) on my motherboard but that didn't fix it. Anyone working with a Ryzen and know what I can do this this? I tried to get more detail in mcelog but just got.

mcelog: ERROR: AMD Processor family 23: mcelog does not support this processor.  Please use the edac_mce_amd module instead.

CPU is unsupported

If it helps this is my build: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/halorrr/saved/qgqNNG

Also if there is a better forum I should post this in let me know. Bit of a noob and was unsure.

Edited by halorrr
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2018 at 1:17 PM, halorrr said:

Just disabled it (assuming C6 states are the same thing, because I couldn't find anything labeled c state in my bios). I will report back if this fixes it! 

Thanks!

Yes, that should be it. There are a few C states and the BIOS/UEFI usually has a few, like C5 or C6. I think what he meant when he said to disable C states was to disable any of them that the BIOS/UEFI shows, as it won't show all.

• 3 weeks later...

Ran into this same issue and depending on your motherboard you may have to "disable all C-states" instead of using the disable c6 option.  I have a x370 ASRock and was not stable with just disable c6 on.

This is disappointing...but you can still save power by enabling "cool n quiet" operation.  In my case, this drops the processor down to 1200Mhz along with the voltage.