MSI MysticLight and Unraid

So a bit more trivial of a question than my last post (and once again, I'm a noob so trying to figure out how things work). I have an MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, and can not for the life of me figure out how to get mystic light working on unRAID. It looks like it is typically controlled by the MSI Gaming App which is windows only. So I tried installed a windows VM to use the app from but it does not detect the hardware. So I assumed that maybe inside of a VM it wouldn't have a way of talking to the board. I did find this https://github.com/nagisa/msi-rgb but was not sure how to add it on an unRAID server.

Any help is appreciated. :)

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2018 at 8:40 PM, halorrr said:

I don't think so? From what I can see at least.

So I was curious and I made Docker container that has a linux utility to adjust RGB on MSI motherboards. Possible it will work on yours. Give it a shot, just search for my name (imthekuni) on the community app store, it won't show up so search Docker Hub from the link, and install docker-msi-rgb. Install as a privileged docker. You can then telnet or ssh into your server, or if you are on 6.4, you can use the terminal from the web GUI. To change color settings:

For Green

/msi-rgb/target/release/msi-rgb 00000000 FFFFFFFF 00000000

For Heartbeat

/msi-rgb/target/release/msi-rgb 206487a9 206487a9 10325476 -ir -ig -ib -d 5

For Police

/msi-rgb/target/release/msi-rgb -d15 FF00FF00 0 00FF00FF

Documentation can be found here. Notice that the path is different (starts as /msi-rgb/target/... instead of ./target/...) and that you do not need to sudo.

Edited by imthekuni

So I am amazed you made a docker so quickly as I've been trying for 3 weeks to try and learn docker to make one for this xD I ended up getting it working (until I restart of course) installing it through the webgui terminal and was only getting it to work for pattern of 2 of the tiny lights. Maybe this will work better though. What ports/variables/etc to I need to set up when adding the container.

1 hour ago, halorrr said:

So I am amazed you made a docker so quickly as I've been trying for 3 weeks to try and learn docker to make one for this xD I ended up getting it working (until I restart of course) installing it through the webgui terminal and was only getting it to work for pattern of 2 of the tiny lights. Maybe this will work better though. What ports/variables/etc to I need to set up when adding the container.

Its a little janky (I am not the best at making docker containers) but hopefully it works! You should only need to set the docker to privileged. No need to open ports, variables, etc. Not as user friendly as an app with a GUI, but hopefully useful enough that you don't have to constantly run a VM. Also, there is probably a way to have the code run on restart so that the lights are set if you ever reboot your unraid server

Edited by imthekuni
35 minutes ago, halorrr said:

I just tried that and I'm getting this:

root@Cerberus:~# docker exec -it docker-msi-rgb bash
Error: No such container: docker-msi-rgb

You have to substitute docker-msi-rgb with the name you gave the container when you created it. 

8 hours ago, saarg said:

You have to substitute docker-msi-rgb with the name you gave the container when you created it. 

Oh yes, should have mentioned this. It should default to docker-msi-rgb. I did have another docker container called msi-rgb that I have since deleted, so be sure to install docker-msi-rgb

Perfect the docker works now. For me is still only allows me to change the pattern of 2 of the smaller lights and none of the colours, but I think that has to do with my board in particular. This docker will definitely work for people with the right boards. I'll have to see if I can find a way to get it to work on my lights.

5 hours ago, halorrr said:

Perfect the docker works now. For me is still only allows me to change the pattern of 2 of the smaller lights and none of the colours, but I think that has to do with my board in particular. This docker will definitely work for people with the right boards. I'll have to see if I can find a way to get it to work on my lights.

Darn. I was hoping since your MB has the same SuperI/O chip that it would just work. I tried looking at the source code, but it is a little over my head at that point.

Yeah when I had done this manually outside of the docker I got the same result. There is an issue opened for my board that I had commented on. But I haven't gotten any responses on it https://github.com/nagisa/msi-rgb/issues/5

The dev has a great article on his git-hub on how he originally reverse engineered his board.

Since you have some more docker experience, do you the official MSI Gaming App could be made into a docker?

Edited by halorrr
29 minutes ago, halorrr said:

Yeah when I had done this manually outside of the docker I got the same result. There is an issue opened for my board that I had commented on. But I haven't gotten any responses on it https://github.com/nagisa/msi-rgb/issues/5

The dev has a great article on his git-hub on how he originally reverse engineered his board.

Since you have some more docker experience, do you the official MSI Gaming App could be made into a docker?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think docker containers must run some *nix OS. Unfortunately it does not look like MSI makes a compatible application (Windows only) which limits you to a VM, however I am not sure if it possible to access SuperI/O from a VM...

1 hour ago, halorrr said:

Yeah that's want I ran into with trying in a VM, it couldn't find it. So I guess I am SOL unless I learn to reverse engineer the board like that dev did. But that requires having a version of windows outside of a VM to access with motherboard with haha. 

Might be a long shot, but if you have an extra SSD, or can get one cheap, you could boot Windows off that to debug the board

• 9 months later...