My unRAID mini-ITX build

Heffa

Yeah maybe 'best compromise' are not the best words, even though for me, thats what it ends up being, so maybe, like buying a boat, car, house, wife................. ;)

LOL!  I hope your wife never reads this.

Ok, the forum is made up of user contributions.  Start a new thread like "Recommended Builds and their uses" or whatever you think.  Start filling out the details.  You can continue to edit a single post if you want to keep it summarized.  That will get the data into the forum and maybe later if  you want you can add it to the wiki.

Welcome aboard.

Thanks for the suggestions, Compass, I'm glad you are interesting in contributing.  My take on the forums/wiki is this: do what makes the most sense to you, then the rest of us can proof and revise it as we see fit.  Anyone can edit the wiki, you just need to create an account there (use the same info as your forums account).  If you feel that the Budget Builds section could benefit from a brief description like you wrote, by all means add it.

On the critique side, I agree with queeg that citing specific apps such as PS3MediaServer may be a bit too particular.  So instead I would propose a bit more general verbiage, such as 'able to stream HD video to home theater PCs over a wired Gigabit network'. 

As far as I know, wireless isn't fast enough yet to handle full 1080p HD streams, only SD and maybe 720p.  I have wireless N at home, and I can't stream HD flawlessly.  I know most users opt to run a cable from their server/router to their HTPC.

By the way, 'VM' stands for Virtual Machines - this basically allows you to run your server as a full blown Linux or other computer while unRAID runs in the background.  It is quite advanced, so I don't bother with it.  My server is just a server.

If you have a wattmeter, I'd love to know the power draw at the wall of your setup with all the drives spun down.

I ended up getting a cheapo unbranded watt meter from Maplin. Can't vouch for the accuracy but it says the margin should be 0.5% on the box.

I have 3x WD20EARS and 3x Seagate ST31500341AS (7200rpm). There are two chassis fans and a 12V 120mm fan on the cpu cooler.

Processor idle and all disks spun down is 41W

All disks spun up but idle is 85W

The peak, when all disks are spinning up (on boot) is 160W

Hope that helps

Hope that helps

Thanks for the info! Your watt meter is probably similar to mine, so I imagine about as accurate.

From memory, my 16-drive setup draws 130W to 300W. I should check the power again now I've got more drives in and also what it's like spun down, I'm not sure if I've ever checked that.

Did you measure the power draw during a parity check?

I ended up getting a cheapo unbranded watt meter from Maplin. Can't vouch for the accuracy but it says the margin should be 0.5% on the box.

I have 3x WD20EARS and 3x Seagate ST31500341AS (7200rpm). There are two chassis fans and a 12V 120mm fan on the cpu cooler.

Another item to keep in mind when working on low power systems is to get a solid PSU. Most generic PSUs are around anywhere from 70% - 75% where the top name brand PSUs are 85% - 87%. If you're looking to maximize power savings, don't skimp on the PSU.

Did you measure the power draw during a parity check?

The watt meter is fluctuating a bit, it's between 102 and 105W for the parity check.

Should have mentioned this is an 80+ bronze Nexus 430W PSU. Couldn't justify the spend on a more efficient model and this was the quietest one from SPCR's reviews.