Anyone using Unraid with a Dune 3.0 Media Player via NFS?

Simon

I just want something that works. 

There is a reason that the XBMC Project dropped the Xbox as a development platform- ION boxes like the Acer Revo made them obsolete:

http://www.frys.com/product/6054148

All you have to do is install the XBMC Operating System on that bad box and you have a plug and play XBMC appliance capable of playing anything. Throw it on a network to an Unraid box and enjoy the HD goodness. The HD Xboxes for XBMC are here, and quite frankly they rock.

I started building HTPCs back in 2002 I think.   I've tried all different kinds of hardware and I have fun with it for a while and then life gets in the way.    The bleeding edge, beta stuff just requires too much effort for me now.   I just want something that works.   I know that for most people Dune is that solution.   I think I was just unlucky, or for some reason it doesn't play nice with my system.    So, I'll just go back to using XBMC on my Xbox.     I can live without streamed blu-rays for a while.     I've got other hobbies to keep me busy. 

I'm in exactly the same boat as you.  I have several soft-modded xboxes with XBMC but wanted to move to hi-def material and more efficient codecs. I have a WDTV Live but that doesn't do all HD Audio, has troubles with high bit-rate material over a network and doesn't auto-change output framerate to match the source material.  So far, for me, the Dune has been fine, and with the zapitti media indexing looks nice too.  I'd love to go back to XBMC once I can painlessly go linux with bitstreamed HD audio. For now, the Dune fulfills my needs.

I use yaDIS, and in fact started a discussion thread about the different indexers people are using for the Dune.  I only wish we had a highly polished solution like YAMJ for the PCH.  One of the reasons I stayed away from the pc solution is all the damn updates.  :P

I'm going to give up on streaming Blu-ray for now.   Even if the Dune Player worked perfectly, I don't really like it.    If the Dune Player is the BEST media streamer right now, I think that says less about the Dune Player and more about the sad state of these devices.

I have the PCH C-200. When it shipped, the firmware was pretty lacklustre, but with the latest updates (I'm a Beta tester), it basically plays every Blu-ray I have (over 500).

I love it, and will never go back to playing with an HTPC -- it's the smooth 23.976fps perfect playback and bitstreaming of HD audio codecs that are the clinchers, personally.

I just want something that works. 

There is a reason that the XBMC Project dropped the Xbox as a development platform- ION boxes like the Acer Revo made them obsolete:

http://www.frys.com/product/6054148

All you have to do is install the XBMC Operating System on that bad box and you have a plug and play XBMC appliance capable of playing anything. Throw it on a network to an Unraid box and enjoy the HD goodness. The HD Xboxes for XBMC are here, and quite frankly they rock.

Hmmm.  Well that is interesting.    It's been a while since I've visited the XBMC forums.    Maybe I'll have to take a look.

I love it, and will never go back to playing with an HTPC -- it's the smooth 23.976fps perfect playback and bitstreaming of HD audio codecs that are the clinchers, personally.

XBMC Live (aka the Linux XBMC Operating System) has had frame rate matching for a long time- I have had perfect 23.976fps playback for some time now.

As far as Bitstreaming of HD codecs goes, I think that is the lamest and most overrated checkbox in Home Theaterland right now. Since we are talking about lossless audio one way or the other, why does it matter where the sound is decoded? It doesn't.

The only point of HD audio bitstreaming is that it provides a protected path for HD audio so that the media overlords can sleep better at night. I personally really hate DRM, so I HATE HD Audio Codecs and bitstreaming. Seriously all DTS HD and Dolby True HD is FLAC/WAV that is blessed by the same jerks that have gone out of their way to make ripping Blu Rays hard. I laugh at their damn bitstreaming protected path, just as I laugh at HDCP.

Personally, I just decode all HD audio right when I rip the Blu Ray. This saves me tons of space (as multi-channel FLAC is king of lossless codecs), and allows me to use the superior mkv container over the m2ts junk.

The only point in killing yourself to get bitstreaming HD audio is if you have a $2000 AV receiver that does some sort of crazy post processing to those codecs. Most receivers don't- they treat 8 channel PCM the same as DTS HD and Dolby True HD. In fact a lot of older Blu Rays only had LCPM audio, it is only recently with media companies going overboard with DRM do things like the super proprietary DTS HD show up on every new disk.

I HATE DRM, and I hate wasting storage space that I don't have to, so I really dislike the notion that bitstreaming HD audio is some sort "superior" setup for Blu Ray playback. I promise I get the same audio experience that the person killing themselves to bitstream HD audio gets with my multichannel FLAC passed via PCM to the receiver. HD Audio bitstreaming is more about getting the warm and fuzzys in the stomach about seeing the DTS HD light on the receiver light up over some difference your ears can actually hear....

As far as Bitstreaming of HD codecs goes, I think that is the lamest and most overrated checkbox in Home Theaterland right now. Since we are talking about lossless audio one way or the other, why does it matter where the sound is decoded? It doesn't.

All right, calm down!

I'm not new to HTPCs or XBMC. There are two problems I see with using HTPCs.

1) If you remux everything to FLAC, you are limiting your future options in terms of what devices you can play back the movie on.

I leave Blu-rays as Blu-rays. That means in future, when we have our holo-decks to watch them on, they'll work.

2) I simply don't trust a PC to output PCM correctly. I realise things are different/better now with XBMC, but it's so much easier for me to see that silly DTS-HD MA or TrueHD light come on and know that the audio is correct than to see PCM and not know what's coming out of my player.

If you're happy with your choice, that's great. I'm happy with mine, so let's leave it at that.

And I thought this forum was such a happy place!  ;D

All right, calm down!

I'm not new to HTPCs or XBMC. There are two problems I see with using HTPCs.

1) If you remux everything to FLAC, you are limiting your future options in terms of what devices you can play back the movie on.

I leave Blu-rays as Blu-rays. That means in future, when we have our holo-decks to watch them on, they'll work.

2) I simply don't trust a PC to output PCM correctly. I realise things are different/better now with XBMC, but it's so much easier for me to see that silly DTS-HD MA or TrueHD light come on and know that the audio is correct than to see PCM and not know what's coming out of my player.

If you're happy with your choice, that's great. I'm happy with mine, so let's leave it at that.

And I thought this forum was such a happy place!  ;D

LOL. Sorry I get upset about DRM sometimes. Honestly I completely agree with your 2 points and also agree that everyone should use what they are happy with. It is good there is such variety in the market because that keeps development at a fast pace.

I still think your Antec 1200 build is a masterpiece that I happily copied, and that overall you are totally justified in your decisions. Sorry to wig out a little, I forget that even though Unraid is based on Linux, this is not your normal asbestos Linux forum.

LOL. Sorry I get upset about DRM sometimes. Honestly I completely agree with your 2 points and also agree that everyone should use what they are happy with. It is good there is such variety in the market because that keeps development at a fast pace.

I still think your Antec 1200 build is a masterpiece that I happily copied, and that overall you are totally justified in your decisions. Sorry to wig out a little, I forget that even though Unraid is based on Linux, this is not your normal asbestos Linux forum.

No worries. Don't forget, the Popcorn Hour is a Linux box. I also have an "opened" LinkStation, making 3 Linux boxes that I regularly telnet to...

I'm not sure I'd call my Antec "Sixteen Hundred" (named after the extra 4 drives) a masterpiece! It's a bit of a cabling mess...

In a couple of days, I'm planning to tear it down completely to pull out the two IDE drives and replace them with SATA drives, then completey re-do all the cabling. I've got some ideas on where to route the cables for improved airflow. I'll post pics assuming it all works.

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I know it is an old post. But I try to bring new life to it.

Right now I am struggling to get a Dune Base 3.0 to connect on an NFS share on my Unraid. I use Unraid 4.7.

I have User shares enabled, or should I use Disk shares. What settings should I fill in for my NFS share, *(rw)? or something else?

What mountpoint should I use on the Dune?

A small guide on how to set things up would be nice.

I know it is an old post. But I try to bring new life to it.

Right now I am struggling to get a Dune Base 3.0 to connect on an NFS share on my Unraid. I use Unraid 4.7.

I have User shares enabled, or should I use Disk shares. What settings should I fill in for my NFS share, *(rw)? or something else?

What mountpoint should I use on the Dune?

A small guide on how to set things up would be nice.

Everything you want to know was answered in the first 3 posts of this thread.

Archived