Windows 10 does not see unRAID server in network browse

dlandon

For a while now I have not been able to see my unRAID server in the 'Network' with Windows 10 computers.  If I set the SMB1.0/CIFS client on in the Windows 10 features, I can then see the unRAID server in Network and browse it.

When I mount a remote SMB share with UD to my backup server, it will mount as SMB3, so I know the unRAID shares will mount as SMB3.  What is it with Windows 10 that it won't see unRAID in the Network browse without SMB1.0/CIFS being turned on?

EDIT: The Windows 10 setting for this is at Control Panel->Programs and Features->Turn Windows features on or off

Edited by dlandon
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Having similar issues as described.  I have two W10 machines.  One can access shares via \\IP, but now the other cannot.  I am really struggling to find anything to fix this.

Have done:

1. Unraid is set to master
  2. installed dynamix plugin, it verifies #1 above
  3. added unraid to windows host file

Unraid 6.5.0

I keep getting the "Windows can't access 192.168.1.69"

the only thing i can think of is this is my work machine, so it part of my work domain, but \\IP has worked since i installed unraid, it is only recently it is no longer working.

13 minutes ago, wdenny said:

the only thing i can think of is this is my work machine, so it part of my work domain, but \\IP has worked since i installed unraid, it is only recently it is no longer working.

Does your IT department control the updates on this computer and its "policies"?  This can become a major problem if they decide to restrict what purposes and uses its equipment is going to be allowed to access.

Beyond that you are to going have to figure/find what variety (Home, Pro, Enterprise)  and which version (These have numbers like 1709, 1803) both machines are running.  There must now be close to 15 combinations of these two variables out there in the wild...   And you wonder why Win10 is such a disaster!) 

So, they do control all the updates, but they are pretty good about it.  And, it has worked for so long, I can't remember getting a major update lately.

The work machine is:

image.png.d968867ea3c6394a279e6c3ad3444455.png

the machine that is working:

Windows 10 Home

Version: 1803

I also made sure the SMBv1 options were on, and they seem to be.

1 hour ago, wdenny said:

So, they do control all the updates, but they are pretty good about it.  And, it has worked for so long, I can't remember getting a major update lately.

The work machine is:

image.png.d968867ea3c6394a279e6c3ad3444455.png

the machine that is working:

Windows 10 Home

Version: 1803

I also made sure the SMBv1 options were on, and they seem to be.

Here's a fix someone recently found that goes beyond just enabling SMBv1, perhaps it will be applicable to your situation as well (the solution is in the Microsoft  link in the post referenced below):

Edited by Hoopster

I almost waited until someone with much more experience than I have with Corporate Security jumped in here but I am under the impression that these folks can (and often do) set up Policies that are included in the Registry that restrict the connectivity that will be permitted using their computers.  If they decided that they are going to restrict/prevent any connection to non-Corporate networks, you may be $crewed.

• 5 months later...

The following PowerShell command resolved this issue for me:

Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters" -Name "AllowInsecureGuestAuth" -Type DWord -Value 1

As stated above, this deals with Windows not allowing unsecured network shares.

• Thanks 1
  • 8 months later...
On 1/21/2018 at 8:46 PM, dlandon said:

For a while now I have not been able to see my unRAID server in the 'Network' with Windows 10 computers.  If I set the SMB1.0/CIFS client on in the Windows 10 features, I can then see the unRAID server in Network and browse it.

When I mount a remote SMB share with UD to my backup server, it will mount as SMB3, so I know the unRAID shares will mount as SMB3.  What is it with Windows 10 that it won't see unRAID in the Network browse without SMB1.0/CIFS being turned on?

EDIT: The Windows 10 setting for this is at Control Panel->Programs and Features->Turn Windows features on or off

I was trying to figure out for days why only one of my machines wasn't able to see the smb share, OMG! 
THank you so much for this lead!