[Support] Linuxserver.io - Heimdall

2 hours ago, Armada64 said:

I seem to have some problem after i reinstalled Heimdall.

first time worked fine, but now i cant access it.

I specify to use port 8008 and 8009 but it wants to bind to port 80 and 443. 

i have the network setting to host.

switching it to bridge does not give the same problem, but still cant access the page.

Have someone else the same problem? 

Nobody else will have the same problem because you've configured it wrong.

Set network setting to bridge, and you can map ports, set it to host and it can only use the default ports

You say even in bridge you can't access the page, but you need to tell us what the addresses you're trying are.

Suggest you post your docker run command and docker container logs, links can be found in my signature (you may need to turn these on in the forum settings)

1 hour ago, CHBMB said:

Nobody else will have the same problem because you've configured it wrong.

Set network setting to bridge, and you can map ports, set it to host and it can only use the default ports

You say even in bridge you can't access the page, but you need to tell us what the addresses you're trying are.

Suggest you post your docker run command and docker container logs, links can be found in my signature (you may need to turn these on in the forum settings)

my docker run command:

docker run -d --name='heimdall' --net='host' -e TZ="Europe/Berlin" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/heimdall' 

i try to acces it by 10.10.10.10:8008 and 8009

nginx: [emerg] still could not bind()
nginx: [emerg] bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)

is what the logs says

Edited by Armada64
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone know why I would be getting this:

1702816588_ScreenShot2019-03-07at1_41_14PM.png.b26562d700861939f1af80c42a93f664.png

My Volume Mapping seems to be correct. It reflects what's in the respective folder:

601875882_ScreenShot2019-03-07at1_41_52PM.png.ba9a10a7892dcf2177a4bc0f527be594.png

Even though it's semi off topic, that RDP-Calibre is the only other container with an abnormal size. Looks like the mappings there are correct too:

1868019127_ScreenShot2019-03-07at1_46_34PM.png.a153505aa375a7f21a17a0715961fdf8.png

18 minutes ago, RevelRob said:

Anyone know why I would be getting this:

1702816588_ScreenShot2019-03-07at1_41_14PM.png.b26562d700861939f1af80c42a93f664.png

My Volume Mapping seems to be correct. It reflects what's in the respective folder:

601875882_ScreenShot2019-03-07at1_41_52PM.png.ba9a10a7892dcf2177a4bc0f527be594.png

Even though it's semi off topic, that RDP-Calibre is the only other container with an abnormal size. Looks like the mappings there are correct too:

1868019127_ScreenShot2019-03-07at1_46_34PM.png.a153505aa375a7f21a17a0715961fdf8.png

Not specific to any container, but it's not enough info to evaluate based on only the mappings. You need to be sure all paths INSIDE the container refer to those mapped container paths. For example, if your calibre docker was set to save books to /Library instead of /library as specified in your mapping, it would save those files inside the container instead of going to the mapped location of /mnt/user/eBooks/calibre library/

Check the paths in the apps themselves to make sure they match the container side mappings exactly.

2 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Not specific to any container, but it's not enough info to evaluate based on only the mappings. You need to be sure all paths INSIDE the container refer to those mapped container paths. For example, if your calibre docker was set to save books to /Library instead of /library as specified in your mapping, it would save those files inside the container instead of going to the mapped location of /mnt/user/eBooks/calibre library/

Check the paths in the apps themselves to make sure they match the container side mappings exactly.

Thank you for the quick reply.

So is going to the respective folders through samba and checking that the files there match what are showing via the container console (navigate to those directories and `ls`) enough? If so, they all show the same file structure.

ie. /mnt/user/eBooks/calibre library in samba shows the same files as opening container console, `cd /library`, `ls`.

The RDP-Calibre one may be a bit more difficult to figure out; however, with only 1 path mapped in Heimdall (and the contents of /mnt/user/appdata/heimdall via samba matching /config in console... and showing up to date logs), I feel like I'm missing something.

Apologies if I'm just not "getting it".

2 hours ago, RevelRob said:

So is going to the respective folders through samba and checking that the files there match what are showing via the container console (navigate to those directories and `ls`) enough?

No. I wasn't clear enough in my explanation. You need to go through the application's internal configuration settings and check the paths there. As in, while logged in to calibre, go through the settings in calibre.

13 hours ago, jonathanm said:

No. I wasn't clear enough in my explanation. You need to go through the application's internal configuration settings and check the paths there. As in, while logged in to calibre, go through the settings in calibre.

Ok thank you. I'll have to peruse through RDP Calibre to see what's up. 

I'm still curious as to how Heimdall can grow to now 9gb. I went through every setting and don't see anywhere where anything could be saved besides what's in /config. My log files are >100mb as well. Edit: I mean <100mb

Edited by RevelRob
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 20coeur said:

I have some troubles to access heimdall docker on my NAS Synology

I guess you didn't read the first post in this thread.

On 1/21/2018 at 2:49 PM, linuxserver.io said:

If you are not using Unraid (and you should be!) then please do not post here, instead head to linuxserver.io to see how to get support.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2019 at 8:59 AM, thestraycat said:

The last heimdall update seems to have broken my instance through reverse proxy. Hitting the local port works fine. However the formatting is all messed up when hitting https://domainname anyone else?

Mine autoupdated 2 nights ago and it's still working through the proxy

On 6/15/2019 at 8:59 AM, thestraycat said:

The last heimdall update seems to have broken my instance through reverse proxy. Hitting the local port works fine. However the formatting is all messed up when hitting https://domainname anyone else?

Force refresh

@aptalca - Couldn't find the force, did unraid remove it? I have tried running old config files from a backup a month ago and also tried restoring a backup of my letsencrypt-nginx container in place with the new image and running that. All the same result. The only constant variable is the new image. :( Can i specify an old version of the heimdall container by changing the repository label in the docker settings?

Edited by thestraycat
1 hour ago, thestraycat said:

@aptalca - Couldn't find the force, did unraid remove it? I have tried running old config files from a backup a month ago and also tried restoring a backup of my letsencrypt-nginx container in place with the new image and running that. All the same result. The only constant variable is the new image. :( Can i specify an old version of the heimdall container by changing the repository label in the docker settings?

I meant force refresh your browser. Ctrl-F5

Hi Chaps,

I too can't seem to access heimdall...unraid 6.7, about 14x freshly deleted & reinstalled, even with default settings...always get "unable to connect"

I did see a similar post to my issue, with the comment "you've configured it wrong", so I checked.

bridge mode, port 99, all the default values as far as I can tell. (there are not that many tbh)

It was working OK, on my demo unraid license, but then I started all over from scratch, and now it refuses point blank.

I've even deleted all my dockers (only 6, so nbd, but configured, so slightly wasted effort), and now I only have heimdall, not working.

Tried bridge, host (apparently that's a real no-no!), lots of different ports, and there's not much else to choose from!

Maybe move the docker.img and appdata locations to an unassigned ssd drive? (just to make sure there's no underlying issue with the newly created docker.img file)

Edit: tried moving docker.img to ssd drive - no difference.

(but what about recovering if/when the ssd goes pffft?)

One thing worth noting - this unraid box has two subnet interfaces, one for "normal" stuff and a dmz just for the home automation iot dash buttons etc. So they're noted during the docker installation, and there's only 1 gateway & it's on the normal subnet.

The heimdall installer page makes no mention of which network interface to use, but correctly chooses the normal one & shows the 172.16.0.2:99 -> 192.168.4.4:99 mapping in the docker summary page.

How do I check log files? The docker log seems unhelpful & I know nowt about dockers internals...

Grateful for any nudges in the right direction, thanks in advance.

salvadorddalisdad

Edited by salvdordalisdad
added second subnet info & ssd tested
9 minutes ago, salvdordalisdad said:

Hi Chaps,

While I can't really help with the heimdall part of your issue, use the CA Appdata Backup / Restore plugin for protecting your flash/SSD from failure.  It will back up to a share.  If you want more protection than that, you could always back up to a USB drive, or mounted SMB drive.  Or into the cloud.

This won't protect your img file, but the Community Applications previous apps feature allows you to select all the apps you used to have and reinstall them with one click.

5 hours ago, Cessquill said:

While I can't really help with the heimdall part of your issue, use the CA Appdata Backup / Restore plugin for protecting your flash/SSD from failure.  It will back up to a share.  If you want more protection than that, you could always back up to a USB drive, or mounted SMB drive.  Or into the cloud.

This won't protect your img file, but the Community Applications previous apps feature allows you to select all the apps you used to have and reinstall them with one click.

Oh top answer - i will give that a go - thanks!

8 hours ago, salvdordalisdad said:

Hi Chaps,

I too can't seem to access heimdall...unraid 6.7, about 14x freshly deleted & reinstalled, even with default settings...always get "unable to connect"

I did see a similar post to my issue, with the comment "you've configured it wrong", so I checked.

bridge mode, port 99, all the default values as far as I can tell. (there are not that many tbh)

It was working OK, on my demo unraid license, but then I started all over from scratch, and now it refuses point blank.

I've even deleted all my dockers (only 6, so nbd, but configured, so slightly wasted effort), and now I only have heimdall, not working.

Tried bridge, host (apparently that's a real no-no!), lots of different ports, and there's not much else to choose from!

Maybe move the docker.img and appdata locations to an unassigned ssd drive? (just to make sure there's no underlying issue with the newly created docker.img file)

Edit: tried moving docker.img to ssd drive - no difference.

(but what about recovering if/when the ssd goes pffft?)

One thing worth noting - this unraid box has two subnet interfaces, one for "normal" stuff and a dmz just for the home automation iot dash buttons etc. So they're noted during the docker installation, and there's only 1 gateway & it's on the normal subnet.

The heimdall installer page makes no mention of which network interface to use, but correctly chooses the normal one & shows the 172.16.0.2:99 -> 192.168.4.4:99 mapping in the docker summary page.

How do I check log files? The docker log seems unhelpful & I know nowt about dockers internals...

Grateful for any nudges in the right direction, thanks in advance.

salvadorddalisdad

So I'm doing some more basic diags, and learning a lot!

tcpdump (from the nerd pack) shows the incoming connections, to 172.168.0.2:metagram (I looked it up & it is TCP port 99), so that's reasonably good - it means the container config in unraid is correct.

Then I thought I'd check the open (listening) ports inside the docker (I didn't know I could do that 3 hours ago!).

netstat -lntup     shows the only ports listenign are

0.0.0.0:443

127.0.0.1:9000

0.0.0.0:80

So that doesn't really help either, as it kinda shows it's not listening on port 99...

More playing needed...

;-)

2 minutes ago, salvdordalisdad said:

So I'm doing some more basic diags, and learning a lot!

tcpdump (from the nerd pack) shows the incoming connections, to 172.168.0.2:metagram (I looked it up & it is TCP port 99), so that's reasonably good - it means the container config in unraid is correct.

Then I thought I'd check the open (listening) ports inside the docker (I didn't know I could do that 3 hours ago!).

netstat -lntup     shows the only ports listenign are

0.0.0.0:443

127.0.0.1:9000

0.0.0.0:80

So that doesn't really help either, as it kinda shows it's not listening on port 99...

More playing needed...

;-)

well, isn't that interesting...

That port 80 was listening was a clue. but it's not obvious from the unraid docker settings why it's not set right.

The "Advanced settings" shows 2 options for port acces using http. (and 2 for https, not that I will use that indoors).

The first one isn't adjustable very much, but the second one works!

I set the first one to 9999, which clearly doesn't work, as there's nowt listening on 9999 internally.

I set the second one t6o "container port 80", and "host port 99"

Yup, that worked...well, mostly.

http://host:99  opens the blank starting page, which is the best it's been in days, however, the shortcut click on the icon sends me to port 9999 which is obvs wrong, but I guess I'll live with that for now.

I am guessing there's a config file somewhere I could play with, but beyond me currently!

Hopefully someone will see wot I dun wrong, and suggest the file to edit to put it right, no hurry though, maybe i won't actually get around to fixing it anyway!!

But - in the meantime - how do I get the configured pages icons, apps etc from one Heimdall instance on my old unraid server to my new one?

I suspect that tarring up the whole directory from the old one & over-writing the new one is a bit harsh, and might upset things...

Thanks again

;-)

• 2 months later...

I'm having issues setting up the password auth through my reverse proxy. I've done the htpassd command and deleted the default file. Restarted and force updated the heimdall docker and all attempts to login give me 403 forbidden. What should I be looking at/for to correct this? It works if I don't have basic auth enabled in the letsencrypt conf file.

20 minutes ago, uaborne said:

I'm having issues setting up the password auth through my reverse proxy. I've done the htpassd command and deleted the default file. Restarted and force updated the heimdall docker and all attempts to login give me 403 forbidden. What should I be looking at/for to correct this? It works if I don't have basic auth enabled in the letsencrypt conf file.

Do you have htpasswd file in both letsencrypt and heimdall? If so, delete the one in heimdall.

If not, clarify what you're doing. It's not clear where you're running the htpasswd command and where you're deleting the default file.