**VIDEO GUIDE**unRAID 6.4 Overview, How to upgrade, SSL, HTTPS and Disk Encryption **

This video is an overview and a quick tutorial on the newly released unRAID 6.4.0 stable.
This video will compare side by side unRAID 6.4.0 with its predecessor 6.3.5 and see the differences and improvements.
It shows how to safely upgrade from 6.3 to 6.4 then how to set up your SSL certificate for HTTPS access and then 
how to set up an encrypted drive for the array.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

*Very nice!* This is an excellent overview of the new features in 6.4 and the things to watch our for during the upgrade. It pairs very nicely with this thread:

The only extra thing I'd call out is if you have a standard off-the-shelf router and you get the "rebinding error" while trying to provision your SSL Certificate, give it 10 minutes and try again. Sometimes it just takes a little time for the DNS changes to go through.

15 hours ago, ljm42 said:

*Very nice!* This is an excellent overview of the new features in 6.4 and the things to watch our for during the upgrade. It pairs very nicely with this thread:

The only extra thing I'd call out is if you have a standard off-the-shelf router and you get the "rebinding error" while trying to provision your SSL Certificate, give it 10 minutes and try again. Sometimes it just takes a little time for the DNS changes to go through.

Glad you like it @ljm42 Yeah I should have mentioned more about DNS. I just helped a friend set his up over TeamViewer and we had to change the DNS on the commercial router's DHCP server to give out  googles before it would work

18 hours ago, francrouge said:

For a plex server is it worth it to put encryption ?

Or it is going to slow down the process of getting the files

1 hour ago, mikegg said:

Great video as always. I'm interested in the performance while using encryption. Anything to report so far?

https encryption? There is no noticeable performance hit. The 6.4 webgui is so much faster you wouldn't notice it even if there was :) 

disk encryption? I haven't seen anybody talk about the performance aspects of this. You'll probably have better luck asking in the main release note thread 

4 hours ago, ljm42 said:

https encryption? There is no noticeable performance hit. The 6.4 webgui is so much faster you wouldn't notice it even if there was :) 

disk encryption? I haven't seen anybody talk about the performance aspects of this. You'll probably have better luck asking in the main release note thread 

cool thx i'm gonna wait  to see if we can do it and not have to format every hdd. :D

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a problem and am hoping somebody can help me.

I moved data from one disk to another. But it was dry mode. Than I format this disk. An create a new config like in the video without the parity drive. Now I realized that and want to rebuild the disk with the parity disk but i don't know the right way. If I stop the array and put the parity again in the array I think a parity check will start. What is to do, to start a rebuild?

1 hour ago, Abigel said:

Hi,

I have a problem and am hoping somebody can help me.

I moved data from one disk to another. But it was dry mode. Than I format this disk. An create a new config like in the video without the parity drive. Now I realized that and want to rebuild the disk with the parity disk but i don't know the right way. If I stop the array and put the parity again in the array I think a parity check will start. What is to do, to start a rebuild?

I am very confused by the exact sequence of steps you mention, and thus the exact state of your system.

However, if you formatted the drive while you still had parity, then as the pop-up dialog would have warned you that you are erasing all data from the drive AND updating parity to reflect this.   in such a case there is no way to rebuild the disk that has just been formatted.

3 minutes ago, itimpi said:

I am very confused by the exact sequence of steps you mention, and thus the exact state of your system.

However, if you formatted the drive while you still had parity, then as the pop-up dialog would have warned you that you are erasing all data from the drive AND updating parity to reflect this.   in such a case there is no way to rebuild the disk that has just been formatted.

Before I formatted the drive, i reset the config file like in the video. So the Parity was not assigned in the array and the data is in the parity.

My problem is now: I have an array with unassigned parity A empty disk which I want to recover/rebuild from the parity. I am afraid that when I put the parity again in the array, a partity check start and my parity data that I want for the empty disk is lost. I want to add the parity again in the array without starting a parity check and than rebuild one disk. Can you help me please?

If you have done NO writes to the array since removing parity, then you can use

1. Tools >> New Config with option to retain current assignments
  2. assign the parity drive; on the Main tab click the Parity is Valid checkbox and then start the array.  This will start the array without writing anything to parity.  
  3. You now stop the array;
  4. unassign the disk you are trying to recover;
  5. restart the array. If parity is valid you will now see the disk being emulated and its contents visible. 
  6. If that is the case then you can stop the array;
  7. assign the disk to be rebuilt, s
  8. tart the array to rebuild the contents of the emulated disk to the physical drive.

If the emulated drive after doing step 5 does not show your data that may mean parity is not valid.   If the difference is minor then you may find the drive shows as unmountable and be able to run a file system repair on the emulated drive before attempting to rebuild it.   It is worth emphasising that the rebuild only puts back what is shown on the emulated drive, so no point in attempting a rebuild if no data is showing at that point.

In case it is not obvious the parity drive contains no actual data, and has no understanding of data.   What it does contain is the information to restore the bit pattern on a missing drive using the combination of a particular sector on ALL the other data drives plus the parity drive.

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, itimpi said:

If you have done NO writes to the array since removing parity, then you can use

1. Tools >> New Config with option to retain current assignments
  2. assign the parity drive; on the Main tab click the Parity is Valid checkbox and then start the array.  This will start the array without writing anything to parity.  
  3. You now stop the array;
  4. unassign the disk you are trying to recover;
  5. restart the array. If parity is valid you will now see the disk being emulated and its contents visible. 
  6. If that is the case then you can stop the array;
  7. assign the disk to be rebuilt, s
  8. tart the array to rebuild the contents of the emulated disk to the physical drive.

If the emulated drive after doing step 5 does not show your data that may mean parity is not valid.   If the difference is minor then you may find the drive shows as unmountable and be able to run a file system repair on the emulated drive before attempting to rebuild it.   It is worth emphasising that the rebuild only puts back what is shown on the emulated drive, so no point in attempting a rebuild if no data is showing at that point.

In case it is not obvious the parity drive contains no actual data, and has no understanding of data.   What it does contain is the information to restore the bit pattern on a missing drive using the combination of a particular sector on ALL the other data drives plus the parity drive.

Thank you, you have safed my day!