Containers and DHCP Assigned IP

mifronte

Yes, dynamic assignment is possible. You'll need to configure an address range used by the DHCP service of Docker itself.

Go to Docker Settings, stop the Docker service and enable advanced view. Select a range which does not conflict with the DHCP service of your router as Docker is unaware of any other DHCP service.

• 4 years later...

Had the same issue here: 

I'd definitely get behind a solution on this as well.  Previously, ASUS router was able to see Docker IP's running on macvlan with no issues on vanilla Debian.

Side note:  some of my containers actually register their DHCP address with my DHCP service external to Unraid...but only 3 containers total.  The rest follow the behavior above of not registering with external DHCP.  The containers that work are PiHole DOT-DOH, Whoogle, and The Lounge.  Not sure why those are different than any other container...but they registered with my external DHCP service and I was able to reserve a permanent lease for them.

Edited by devnet
On 3/6/2022 at 5:00 AM, devnet said:

I'd definitely get behind a solution on this as well. 

...then make yourself heard in the feature request above, so it doesn't go unnoticed ;-)

Previously, ASUS router was able to see Docker IP's running on macvlan with no issues on vanilla Debian.

It is different, whether these routers did actually hand out an IP by dhcp-request or simply track outbound internet traffic going through it, as a gateway. Many SoHo routers just do the 2nd thing, which is of course convenient to the user, as it creates a list of all hosts (as every host will connect to the internet eventually).

Side note:  some of my containers actually register their DHCP address with my DHCP service external to Unraid...but only 3 containers total.  The rest follow the behavior above of not registering with external DHCP. 

Reason for that is, that the "standard" for a Docker is just a container of a single App inside, hence the maintainer does not care to embed (and run) a dhcp-client inside (which will make acquiring an IP from an external dhcp server work, when using macvlans). But a few actually do host and run a dhcp-client, as you noticed.

• Thanks 1
  • 5 months later...

ah very disappointing to learn its not possible to do this natively, i also would have loved to have my own external router handle all the DHCP requests and not do a half-way house of multiple non-aware DHCP servers. 

I'm still very likely to purchase at the end of the month but this would definitely help towards tipping my over the edge :D