Backup hosted email to unRAID via IMAP?

al_uk

It occurred to me that I have my entire email history stored at the mercy of a 3rd party. Approx 10GB.

The supplier is great, I've been with them for years and I've only good things to say about them (Fastmail) but I'd like an independent copy somewhere, in case something happens.

I'm also slightly nervous about having all the history online.

I don't want to run my own full mailserver, so I'd keep Fastmail, but I'm looking at whether I can run a docker as an email client?

1. Run a docker on UnRAID that will backup my entire fastmail account using IMAP.

2. and optionally provide a web client that I can use from other PCs on my LAN to search history and write emails etc. This would mean I don't need to store my full history in Fastmail.

I do use the NextCloud docker and I backup my local unRAID using CrashPlan pro (will be Duplicati and BackBlaze when Crashplan gets expensive). I know there is a mail app for NextCloud.

Anyone else gone down this route?

1 hour ago, al_uk said:

It occurred to me that I have my entire email history stored at the mercy of a 3rd party. Approx 10GB.

The supplier is great, I've been with them for years and I've only good things to say about them (Fastmail) but I'd like an independent copy somewhere, in case something happens.

I'm also slightly nervous about having all the history online.

I don't want to run my own full mailserver, so I'd keep Fastmail, but I'm looking at whether I can run a docker as an email client?

1. Run a docker on UnRAID that will backup my entire fastmail account using IMAP.

2. and optionally provide a web client that I can use from other PCs on my LAN to search history and write emails etc. This would mean I don't need to store my full history in Fastmail.

I do use the NextCloud docker and I backup my local unRAID using CrashPlan pro (will be Duplicati and BackBlaze when Crashplan gets expensive). I know there is a mail app for NextCloud.

Anyone else gone down this route?

Yes, i also use fastmail and want to do the same thing! Anyone have any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...