WebGUI and possibly more crashing or locking up after a little over 24 hours uptime

ms4sman

This has been happening to me for a few weeks now. It started when i was on 6.4 rc10, but not right when I installed that, because I used that for months. But it started a few weeks ago and has persisted on into 6.4.0 stable. Seems to happen a bit after the server hits a day of uptime, more or less.  If I visit the WebGUI its back to all the default theme settings, and is full of errors and only partially working. All of my shares are publicly visible, even hidden ones, and ones that are not shared period. The only way I've found to fix it is rebooting the server, but it happens again when get a little past a day of uptime. I'm attaching what's in the log when it happens, its just full of this, it scrolls on and on with the same error over and over and over.

Any ideas what the heck is going on? I'm tired of restarting every day.

Thanks.

unraid error.png

Hmm...it's definitely on a USB 2.0. I bought one of those little pigtails that plugs directly to a USB 2.0 header on the board and then has a USB port. The idea was that the flash drive would be safer inside the case and also not take up a port on the outside.  Is this a bad idea?

It's also worth noting that it's a brand new drive. I bought it specifically for the purpose of unRAID when I bought a key and finished my trial. I plugged it into the mentioned adapter, and installed unRAID to it right out of the box and licensed it. Never used for anything else.

Edited by ms4sman

xhci is USB 3.0 unless your also having issues with other USB devices:

23 22:22:15 unRAID kernel: usb 1-8: reset full-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd
Jan 23 22:22:15 unRAID kernel: usb 1-8: device descriptor read/64, error -71
Jan 23 22:22:15 unRAID kernel: usb 1-8: reset full-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd
Jan 23 22:22:16 unRAID kernel: usb 1-8: reset full-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd
Jan 23 22:22:16 unRAID kernel: usb 1-8: reset full-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd

But these are definitely flash drive errors:

Jan 24 03:11:16 unRAID kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 29896) failed
Jan 24 03:11:16 unRAID kernel: blk_partition_remap: fail for partition 1
Jan 24 03:11:16 unRAID kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 29897) failed
Jan 24 03:11:16 unRAID kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 29898) failed
Jan 24 03:11:16 unRAID emhttpd: error: put_config_idx, 595: No such file or directory (2): fopen: /boot/config/shares/domains.cfg
Jan 24 03:11:16 unRAID kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 29899) failed
Jan 24 03:11:16 unRAID kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 29900) failed
Jan 24 03:11:16 unRAID kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 29901) failed
Jan 24 03:11:16 unRAID kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 29902) failed
Jan 24 03:11:16 unRAID kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 29903) failed
Jan 24 03:11:16 unRAID kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 29904) failed

Well, I certainly don't doubt that you're right, you know a lot more than I do about this if you've already deciphered that. I'm just confused how that can be since I know it's plugged into a 2.0 header on the board. And I don't have any other flash drives plugged into the system...that's very strange.

There's no other way to determine the ID of the exact device that's having issues? From what I can interpret from those errors you quoted, it looks like its the unRAID flash though since its having trouble finding files that are stored on it. This is strange.

Well, shoot. That's a bummer that it's already having errors when I just got it. If I'm going to change drives, I have to be very sure that it'll help right? Because I can only transfer my key once a year. So if it doesn't help then I'll really be boned. I'll try a different port I guess...

1 minute ago, ms4sman said:

Because I can only transfer my key once a year. So if it doesn't help then I'll really be boned. I'll try a different port I guess...

If you do transfer make sure you use a good quality flash drive, my oldest servers are over 10 years old and still on the original 1GB flash drive.

Here's the one I bought. I've used Sandisk drives for as long as I've had flash drives and never had issues. Would you recommend a different kind? I bought this tiny one and the adapter I mentioned so it would be low profile and safe inside the server, but maybe that wasn't a good idea.

I'll try the one I've got in one of the built in motherboard ports and see what happens. They are almost all 3.0 ports on the board itself though, so that may make it worse, I don't know.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FYNSZA

EDIT 1: Could a bad connection on the USB header adapter itself I'm using cause the issue do you think?

EDIT 2: This device is on unRAID's recommended hardware list...so it ought to work. Reformatting the drive and recreating the unRAID USB doesn't count as a key transfer right? Because the GUID of the device is the same, correct?

Edited by ms4sman
21 minutes ago, ms4sman said:

Reformatting the drive and recreating the unRAID USB doesn't count as a key transfer right? Because the GUID of the device is the same, correct?

Correct.

Bad header or cable could be an issue, try one of the direct motherboard ports in the back just to see. Also, try disabling USB3.0 support in your BIOS if you can. unRaid runs in RAM, so USB speed has almost no visible effect on overall speed.

4 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

If you do transfer make sure you use a good quality flash drive, my oldest servers are over 10 years old and still on the original 1GB flash drive.

A ten year old flash drive has huge memory cells and can handle much more block rewrites than new flash drives. It's a common trade-off between size and longevity.

OK, so I think I'm ready to call this. I've had the flash drive plugged into the back port for a while now and it hasn't crashed once, or whatever you'd call what was happening. The reason it took so long to establish was I was trying front ports too, which also use the onboard USB2 headers to see if they were better and they weren't, plus I kept rebooting the server manually for other reasons. But I think I'm ready to call it stable in a back port and I guess I'll just have to stick with it.

Any reason why using any port connected to the onboard USB 2.0 headers seems to cause this issue for me?