New Forum Registration Policy

jonp

Hi Everyone!

In an effort to combat spammers that are flooding the forum with spam posts, we are putting a new requirement in place:  the first post of any new member MUST be approved by the moderators before normal members can see it and before additional posts will be allowed.  We apologize in advance for any inconvenience that this may cause folks wishing to post, but due to the sheer nature of the spammers hitting us, this is one of the better ways for us to combat the issue for the time being.  Thank you in advance for your understanding.

All the best,

The Lime Technology Team

• Like 2
  • Upvote 8

I just hope these spammers doesn't make use of the copy/paste logic some spam bots have implemented, where they cut text from older threads and paste into the initial posts just to trick manual moderation into accepting the account - and then at a later time when having passed the moderation stage switches over to traditional spam posts.

4 minutes ago, SSD said:

@pwm

The mods are experts and have been reading the forums for years. It will be very difficult to fool us with old or made up posts.

I hope so. But General Support has 525 pages with threads. No one will remember all these threads and catch if some spam bot has cut the first paragraphs from one of the threads and added as a new thread.

There is no solution that will 100% prevent spam. It's impossible to stop a human being from manually generating it. But that's just the thing, these are human beings that are spamming at this point. We know this because we have had Turing tests as part of registration and they still made it through. We also had a spam service investigate to confirm the same thing.

Needless to say we are trying any and all solutions to combat this problem, but good moderation is the last line of defense that we will always rely on to catch bad actors. So please join me.in thanking these unsung heroes for their efforts here!!

• Upvote 1

Even if they trick us and start spamming again we simply block the new user and all of his posts again. Basically where we was a few days ago. 

What has has been implemented for now is at least slowing them way down or hopefully they will eventually move on. *Fingers/Toes Crossed*

I think this newest method is going to take care of the problem, but would not want to our brain power coming up with ways spammers could circumvent. Let's keep those to ourselves and not share with the enemy. Feel free to PM me if you have specific concerns or ideas along those lines to shared among the moderator / Limetech community,.

1 hour ago, kizer said:

Even if they trick us and start spamming again we simply block the new user and all of his posts again. Basically where we was a few days ago. 

What has has been implemented for now is at least slowing them way down or hopefully they will eventually move on. *Fingers/Toes Crossed*

Yes. Putting a break on new accounts is the most efficient way to get in control, even if it isn't foolproof.

18 minutes ago, SSD said:

I think this newest method is going to take care of the problem, but would not want to our brain power coming up with ways spammers could circumvent. Let's keep those to ourselves and not share with the enemy. Feel free to PM me if you have specific concerns or ideas along those lines to shared among the moderator / Limetech community,.

The spam bots are already written, and proven in battle. They are not relying on forum posts to pick up new skills.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Kewjoe said:

Hi Gents,

A friend of mine is getting into unRaid and created an account. He is not able to post on any forum, everything is greyed out. He is able to PM though. Does his account need to be approved before he can post? User is @Andiroo

Thanks!

The way it's supposed to work is he makes a first post, and when we approve that post he is approved. I've never seen it from his perspective though, so I don't really know what it looks like. Are you sure it won't let him post? Did his first post somehow get deleted and so we don't see it to approve? Is there anything else you can tell us?

I know I have approved the first post of quite a few and they have been able to post more after that approval.

3 minutes ago, trurl said:

The way it's supposed to work is he makes a first post, and when we approve that post he is approved. I've never seen it from his perspective though, so I don't really know what it looks like. Are you sure it won't let him post? Did his first post somehow get deleted and so we don't see it to approve? Is there anything else you can tell us?

I know I have approved the first post of quite a few and they have been able to post more after that approval.

I attached a screenshot of what he sees. When he attempts to post, it gives him that screen and all options are greyed out. He tried with both Chrome and IE, both had the same issue.

andiroo.png

Edited by Kewjoe

That's the strange part, he doesn't see a reply button on any thread/sub forum. Only the main page, and it's all greyed out. He's viewing this particular thread and he shared his screen with me, doesn't have a reply button. He created his account yesterday morning and was able to PM me, but can't post a new thread or reply to an existing thread.