New Forum Registration Policy

jonp

I don't really see any way for a moderator to approve him without a first post. And I just got a PM from him.

This feature of "don't let potential spammers post without approval" is new and maybe not working as well as it should. I know there have been spammers who sent PMs, posted to another users profile, and even reported posts without ever posting to the forum and getting approved. Did he maybe send a PM to you before he ever tried to post to the forum? Just trying to figure out what might have happened.

Maybe @jonp or another admin could take a look.

• 5 months later...

Hello -

I am trying to communicate via PM to another user. I have been a member since 2012, but I keep getting the message that "Your content will need to be approved by a moderator" or "You have exceeded your limit - wait 24 hours">

How can I get these limitations removed ?? I do not post unless I feel that I have something useful to contribute, but find the Forum extremely valuable for solving my NOOB issues. I've only been using unRAID for 6 years, and only have 3 systems running for very simple uses. I have no reason to spam the forum.

Please remove the blocking of my PM's ASAP.

Thank you for your help.

16 minutes ago, techlime said:

Hello -

I am trying to communicate via PM to another user. I have been a member since 2012, but I keep getting the message that "Your content will need to be approved by a moderator" or "You have exceeded your limit - wait 24 hours">

How can I get these limitations removed ?? I do not post unless I feel that I have something useful to contribute, but find the Forum extremely valuable for solving my NOOB issues. I've only been using unRAID for 6 years, and only have 3 systems running for very simple uses. I have no reason to spam the forum.

Please remove the blocking of my PM's ASAP.

Thank you for your help.

I have approved this, your first post. I don't know of any way to specifically remove blocking of PMs, but now that you are approved maybe it is removed.

40 minutes ago, techlime said:

I am trying to communicate via PM to another user.

Obviously I only speak for myself, but I would not be inclined to respond to an unsolicited PM from a member with 0 forum posts.

The whole reason for the forum is to provide open discussion and community troubleshooting. PM's thwart both of those objectives.

Think of how much you have gained from reading the open forum questions and answers from others. If everyone kept the discussion to PM's, none of this would be available.

If someone in the open forum specifically asks you to send them a PM for more info about your problem, great, but unsolicited PM's seem kind of rude to me.

My Apologies Jonathanm -

I apologize for neglecting to mention that my PM was in response to items advertised in the Buy, Sell, Trade section of the forum.

I'm sorry if that is deemed a rude PM, but the seller requested PM's and responded to mine, and then I was then blocked from replying to him.

As I stated above, I do not post unless I feel that I have something positive to contribute, so please take this follow-up response as positively as intended.

The simple fact that so many well-intended posts tend to lead to negativism causes inexperienced users like me to tread lightly, and to not take the risk of posting. 

I hope to someday know enough about unRAID to be able to contribute to others positively, but, for now, I am reminded that I am still a newbie and have a lot to learn before I can be considered a valued member of the forum..

Thanks 

1 hour ago, trurl said:

I have approved this, your first post. I don't know of any way to specifically remove blocking of PMs, but now that you are approved maybe it is removed.

Thank You for getting this done so quickly!

I replied to an item in the Buy, Sell, Trade and after getting a reply, I was unable to reply back.

Hopefully this will fix it all.

Thanks again

11 minutes ago, techlime said:

I apologize for neglecting to mention that my PM was in response to items advertised in the Buy, Sell, Trade section of the forum.

I'm sorry if that is deemed a rude PM, but the seller requested PM's and responded to mine, and then I was then blocked from replying to him.

As I stated above, I do not post unless I feel that I have something positive to contribute, so please take this follow-up response as positively as intended

Ahh, that totally changes things. More than once I have had folks PM me unsolicited to ask for support. Depending on my mood, I will either ignore them, or politely suggest that they need to post their question to the open forum so all may contribute and benefit.

Your PM was not unsolicited, as you said, the seller requested a PM, and you complied with their wishes. Thanks for clearing that up, and yes, this dialog is helpful. The next time someone PM's me for support, I'll just post a link back here. :)

17 minutes ago, techlime said:

I hope to someday know enough about unRAID to be able to contribute to others positively, but, for now, I am reminded that I am still a newbie and have a lot to learn before I can be considered a valued member of the forum..

You don't have to have answers to contribute positively.

Somebody needs to ask the questions. If you have a question that isn't answered, or the answers already posted are inaccurate or unclear, chances are someone else probably has the same question. After you've worked with a piece of software for a while, it's easy to assume something is obvious when in reality it is poorly documented or otherwise hard for someone with no exposure to understand.

6 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

More than once I have had folks PM me unsolicited to ask for support. Depending on my mood, I will either ignore them, or politely suggest that they need to post their question to the open forum so all may contribute and benefit.

When I get a PM asking for support, I just respond by linking them to the "Need Help" sticky and quoting of this bit:

PLEASE do not privately ask the moderators or other users for personal support!  Helpful moderators and users are just users like yourself, unpaid volunteers, and do not provide official support, so it is better to ask support questions on the forum instead.  That way, you get the benefit of having answers from the whole community, instead of just one person who may or may not know, or may be wrong, or may be unavailable.  Plus, you will probably get faster help.  And, other users in the community can benefit by learning from your problem and its solution.

• 4 years later...

I am a new user and posted a new topic that was marked as needing approval. I get all that but it's been several days now and I'm not sure my post was even registered or has it just disappeared somehow. If it is still waiting for approval then it would be helpful to see some sort of reference to this in my activity log. At the moment it just shows zero. I don't know if I have posted or not?

Thanks

Len

• 3 months later...

Hi, could anyone please check if my post last night is there? I found someone having the same problem as me, and I solved it, so I came back to reply him my solution. I'm not sure if I meet the same problem as len5623, since I opened a new browser tab to sign in then back to click submit my reply. I just realized that maybe won't work... Thanks for any help.

21 minutes ago, exhaustive-cutie4513 said:

Hi, could anyone please check if my post last night is there? I found someone having the same problem as me, and I solved it, so I came back to reply him my solution. I'm not sure if I meet the same problem as len5623, since I opened a new browser tab to sign in then back to click submit my reply. I just realized that maybe won't work... Thanks for any help.

Can’t see it so it looks like it may somehow have really disappeared 😒. Not sure what could cause that.