GPU Passthrough: AMD Ryzen (no on board) + AMD RX 560

Hi All,

I'm working on a new build now and want to be sure that I'm not going to gimp myself.

Will I be able to use the ONLY GPU in the system for a VM (leaving no GPU for UnRaid)?

Typically I only access UnRaid VIA Web interface, really have no need for a dedicated GPU just so that I can look at the UI.  

Best,

Rob

In general, you can run unRAID headless.  My Media server (for all intends and purposes) is that way.  The only time, I hookup a monitor and keyboard is when I have an issue.   But when you do have a problem, that is where you might really need one.  What I would do is to look for an old/used PCI VGA card and use one of those for the console.  (They should be virtually free these days and PCI slots are almost worthless for anything else in a modern server setup.)

• 1 month later...

@Handl3vogn

I'm having some interesting issues with HDMI audio (device is enabled, but crashes when adding an HDMI audio device).  This was resolved  by installing legacy HDMI audio drivers from 2016 - Kodi is working - BUT, some games crash.  

I'd like to try the gpu Bios approach, but have only found Nvidia instructions.  Are there any recommendations that you could give?

I downloaded the GPU rom from techpowerup and edited the XML thusly

GPU + HDMI Sound:

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x2d' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev0'/>
      <rom file='/mnt/user/isos/Gigabyte.RX560.4096.170505.rom'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x05' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x2d' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x06' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>

The issue I'm having now is that when I try to install the driver in Windows the HOST (unraid) crashes.

Best,

Rob

Edited by cablecutter

I was able to get this working by creating a bios dump via gpu-z.

The following was added to the xml:

<rom bar='on' file='/mnt/user/Warehouse/roms/Polaris21uefi.rom'/>

Unfortunately, this didn't solve any of my issues.  I am still experiencing artifacts or crashes in games and inconsistent ability to initialize HDMI audio.  I have tried the MSI Util as well without success.