the old AMD/Intel question

I have a question that I think should be pretty simple: Between a Ryzen 5/7 and a Intel i5, for running a few Docker containers (Plex/Sonarr/Radarr), serving files under modest load, and occasionally running Windows 10 for 1080p gaming at "average" video quality, is it going to be significantly more turn-key to go Intel than AMD? I'm planning on going big with CPU & motherboard, spend about $30 on a Excel-rated GPU and wait a couple months to hopefully upgrade to a upper-mid level graphics card at a reasonable price.

I've read enough about Ryzen to get excited, but I also need everything to work reasonably well within a few days of starting the project.

I've read through the forums and seen some similar posts languish. Hoping the brevity of this one encourages response.

Basically, I'm I think I'm asking about the state of GPU/PCI passthrough and what specific qualities I'd need to look for in a GPU/motherboard to facilitate the use case I've outlined.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2018 at 6:06 PM, hominid said:

Between a Ryzen 5/7 and a Intel i5, for running a few Docker containers (Plex/Sonarr/Radarr)

I was dealing with a similar decision this past week (Ryzen 7 vs i7-8700). I ended up going with the 8700 since I could pass the integrated GPU to the plex docker for transcoding. After getting it running and seeing how well plex runs with hardware acceleration  (leaving the CPU for other tasks), I feel like I made the right choice.

• Like 1