Slow transfer speeds

rctneil

11 hours ago, rctneil said:

Right, finally found a spare 10 minutes to test this.  Over Ethernet, the speed is between 90 - 120 MB/s which is fantastic. So Wi-Fi was the issue.

Hurrah! Glad to hear the dongle was worth the purchase!! :)

11 hours ago, rctneil said:

What I am confused about is, why is the connection over Wi-Fi so slow when transferring stuff internally compared to just accessing the net where things are super fast even over Wi-Fi?

Good question. Your OP mentioned 3.4MB/s. In Internet speak, that translates to roughly 27 mbit/s. Not terrible (But certainly not blazing fast). What is your internet package from BT and what kind of download speeds are you seeing from them? Substantially faster than 27 mbit/s?

Assuming you are downloading substantially faster than that from the internet, my first thought is an issue with the modem/router from BT. Now that we've isolated the problem to something to do with wireless, do you have an extra stand-alone router you can test with? Most modem/router combos from Internet providers allow you to disable the routing function.

If you have an extra 5ghz router, disable the routing in the modem, and use the test router. Are wireless speeds inside the network still as abysmal? If so....problem probably lies with the mac... We still haven't explained why downloads from the internet are faster (and if it's not a router issue, I've never heard of a wireless card downloading faster from the internet than internal network transfers, so I'm running out of ideas here), but at least we've eliminated some other potential problems... We may need a level 2 network person on this if that's the case :).

11 hours ago, DoeBoye said:

What is your internet package from BT and what kind of download speeds are you seeing from them? Substantially faster than 27 mbit/s?

I get 26-29 from BT on average.

do you have an extra stand-alone router you can test with?

I do have a spare router.

If you have an extra 5ghz router, disable the routing in the modem, and use the test router. Are wireless speeds inside the network still as abysmal? If so....problem probably lies with the mac... We still haven't explained why downloads from the internet are faster (and if it's not a router issue, I've never heard of a wireless card downloading faster from the internet than internal network transfers, so I'm running out of ideas here), but at least we've eliminated some other potential problems... We may need a level 2 network person on this if that's the case :).

I'll give this a try and get back to you. Really really appreciate all the help!

Give me a couple of days.

Kind regards,

Neil

On 2/4/2018 at 5:21 AM, rctneil said:

I get 26-29 from BT on average.

That's around the same as you're seeing on your internal network transfers... Which is kind of a good thing, because this means network and internet wireless speeds are roughly the same... Makes it easier to diagnose the problem :)

Still try the external router (Don't forget to put your BT modem/router into router only mode "bridge mode". If you don't you may get double nat issues) though. It may be the BT device that is hampering speeds.

Just for fun, you may want to see what the maximum speeds you can get with your system and internet connection. Here's a plugin that runs inside UnRaid that will give you a good feel of that number:

On 2/4/2018 at 5:21 AM, rctneil said:

Really really appreciate all the help!

My pleasure! :)